What clipless shoes for DH?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

What clipless shoes for DH?

I need a clipless shoe for racing DH and I was looking at the Adidas Hematoma or the SixSixOne Peak. Anyone used either of these and have anything good/bad to say? I would prefer ankle protection but it isnt manditory, Ive got about $100 in the budget for shoes. Any reccomendations would be good. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Five Ten High Impact !

Equal opportunity meanie
    Clipless genius...

No experience with the 661 peaks, but having been riding the Hematoma's for a while they do offer a lot of protection but they are heavy/bulky and the high top can get in the way if you have a large ankle bone. For longer rides where I was doing a lot of pedaling or all day trips I would get a small blister on my ankle from it. Other than that they're pretty cool. I do wish they made a clip for the top strap however since I can feel them loosening a tiny bit now that I've been riding them for a while and the material stretches out a little easier over the course of a ride.

Freeriding Feline
    I heard these Oakleys are great but I don't ride clipless for DH so I can't say myself.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...-MTN-Shoes.htm
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Lake makes some nice high tops. I've had them for a year now and like them. http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=DH165
    Hubbard Bike Club

Sep 2006
    what about any shimanos?
    anyone ever raced with those?

mtbr member
    Oakley Wrench!

i drink shower water
    i just ride in the 661 filter... i dont feel the need for cleets but to each his own.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Now with flavor!!
    I don't know if they've changed the design but hematomas have a nasty habit of letting the soles rip out of the shoes. I did it to mine this weekend. One of the guys I was riding with said he'd done the same thing to 3 pairs before giving up on them.

They also gave me blisters on my heel if I did a good amount of walking. I'm looking for some new ones too.........I'll probably get the oakleys.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you could always get some regular clipless,and then wear ankle gaurds separate,thats what i would do, because personally i find some times there is no neeed to the extra protection...
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Apr 2004
    I use to ride/race in the 661 dually spd's, they were pretty comfortable, but seemed to be hard to get clipped back in and also felt a little bulky. I also had to cut out part of the rubber on the sole to make them fit my time atacz. I eventually went back to wearing my 661 attacks insted. I will prolly pick up some ankleguards before next season, because there are few courses that I would like the extra protection.

EZ

Lez go.
    661 launch
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Sep 2006
    hmm some good ideas. thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamip_dh
    what about any shimanos?
    anyone ever raced with those?
    I use the Shimano's I like them. Look for the sh-mp66, or sh-mp66l

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shoes+06.aspx

Rocket Scientist
    I used the 661's and I like them, but they wear out fast I find.

I bought a pair of these at the end of last season and I love them!

They are great for clipless!

LAKE DH165 www.Lakecycling.com

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I don't know if they've changed the design but hematomas have a nasty habit of letting the soles rip out of the shoes. I did it to mine this weekend. One of the guys I was riding with said he'd done the same thing to 3 pairs before giving up on them.

They also gave me blisters on my heel if I did a good amount of walking. I'm looking for some new ones too.........I'll probably get the oakleys.
    I've seen that too

I bought Lakes, not the dh, but the high tops w/ Vibram soles. I think they are the mx255. I like them, they are not very bulky or heavy either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another vote for the Shimano 66

They fit great and have a cover for the laces. The inside of the shoe at the ankle area is higher to protect the ankle.

Sep 2006
    those look alright, they dont look like they give you much forward to back motion in comparison to the adidas though...

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    They fit great and have a cover for the laces. The inside of the shoe at the ankle area is higher to protect the ankle.
    yeah i like those ones too...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had 661's and they wore out in three rides. First the ankle's got ripped out from getting sucked into the chain cause they are huge and bulky. Then a couple rides later the cleats wouldn't stay in, rendering the shoe useless, at least for cliping.

Now I use a pair of shimano XC shoes. They work awesome. Lightweight, nothing extra to get caught on anything. And the cleat is on the ball of your foot so you can really get the power down, unlike the skate style shoes like the 661's where the cleat is in the middle of your foot n the arch.

The hematoma's look like a very good compromise of the protection of DH shoes, and the minimalism of XC shoes

mtbr member
    yeah adidas are great shoes but are little heavy and are no good for long pedaling.
    I think the best is to see what brand you like, see if its a good shoe, try it in the store and if you like it, try it!
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

Premium Member
    I like my Specialized XC shoes. I think DH shoes are over-protected and don't give good feel.

Members who have read this thread: 0