What ate up my latex gloves?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What ate up my latex gloves?

Last month when i replaced the oil in my Reba my gloves started to melt. I finished the servicing bare handed but i was wondering if it was the synthetic oil or the blended oil that attacked the latex?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would suggest nitrile gloves. The oil doesn't affect them. Park Tool sells them by the box in 3 diffrent sizes.

ride hard take risks
    Lots of chemicles eat latex gloves. Gloves are there for protection & if your diving in hands first just replace them frequently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Last month when i replaced the oil in my Reba my gloves started to melt. I finished the servicing bare handed but i was wondering if it was the synthetic oil or the blended oil that attacked the latex?
    It's the same reason you're supposed to use a water-based lube (like KY) with latex condoms and not a petroleum-based lube. Consider yourself lucky!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    It's the same reason you're supposed to use a water-based lube (like KY) with latex condoms and not a petroleum-based lube. Consider yourself lucky!
    Good explanation.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep latex doesnt protect you from everything so becareful. There was a lady that died from a few drops of methyl mercury on her latex gloves during an science experiment.

Transition Blindside v5
    Whoa! Next time I do oil change, I guess I'd better not do it bare-handed anymore... (So, how bad was it that I've done it bare-handed, really? ) Time to get some of those Nitrile gloves... Thanks for this info.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/defa...oves&x=25&y=17
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-07-2006 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    The oil's not that bad for you but don't bath in it anyways. Used motor oil is carcinogenic.

The thing about the latex gloves is where all the pieces go when they start to disintegrate. You can get a chunk of it blocking a valve in the fork and all your work on the rebuild will have to be re-done!

The blue Park gloves (nitrile) are worth their weight and more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

5.50 box of Nitrile gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Danke

The blue Park gloves (nitrile) are worth their weight and more!
    http://www.dontheglove.com/nitrilegloves/index.html Box of 100 (same as Park) but only cost $5.50 shipped. The Park gloves are $25?!

mtbr member
    I got some vinyl non latex gloves at the gocery store (Giant Eagle). Top Crest brand, 10 for a dollar. Held up to ATF doing my Stratos helix shock yesterday.

Transition Blindside v5

Vinyl vs Nitrile ?

Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    I got some vinyl non latex gloves at the gocery store (Giant Eagle). Top Crest brand, 10 for a dollar. Held up to ATF doing my Stratos helix shock yesterday.
    That's a good tip, thanks...

A local drug store had a whole bunch of latext ones that we don't want, but unfortunately I didn't see anything vinyl or non-latex there...

I'll go to another drug store to keep looking for something non-latex...

By the way, are there any differences between using Vinyl gloves vs Nitrile gloves for the purpose of fork-oil change?

https://www.vinylinfo.org/pressmater...#what_is_vinyl
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-12-2006 at 05:10 PM.

May 2006
    I could send you guys some nitrile and similar gloves from my lab for free for whatever shipping costs.

M

Members who have read this thread: 0