Went in looking for $90 shoes and got allot more!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Went in looking for $90 shoes and got allot more!

I finally made the leap to clipless, using eggbeaters, and when checking out shoes I was looking at the $90 Spec shoes, 3 velcro straps, nothing fancy. My LBS had some older stock of shoes left, a few pair of specialized shoes from 2009 and 2010 and some 661's, some Mavic's, etc. so I asked to look through them when I was in there a few weeks ago and they had some in my size that were nicer shoes but steeply discounted.
    I ended up getting a pair of Pro's from 2009 or 2010, carbon fiber soled with a ratcheting top strap, etc. for about what the cheaper ones I went in to get were going to cost. They were originally around $250, I got them for less than half off, stellar deal on great shoes that are overkill for a rider like myself. When I went out for a ride that evening I had the nicest shoes in the group, they were all busting my balls about having $300 carbon shoes, etc.

So, be sure to ask about NOS (new old stock) at your LBS when looking for appearel, you'll pick up a deal on last years bike shorts, etc.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

T.W.O.
    Awesome! Congrat.

AZ
    banned
    Good tip, never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    sweet deal, those are nice shoes!

mtbr member
    My LBS would charge the MSRP because "you can't buy these anywhere anymore."

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    lol
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Got the same deal last year. Went in for comps, got pros for a better price. Good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, kinda sounds like all of my local LBS's. They seem to have a very high opinion of themselves. It's worth asking the question about NOS though. Typically, I end up figuring out what I want, than buying on-line. Several times, I walked into one of several of my LBS's, told them specifically what I wanted, which they had in stock, told them the price I found them on-line, and offered to buy from them if they would match the price, because I wanted to support my local LBS. They always turned me down, trying to sell me on the value of their expertise and knowledge - I walked out, been buying on-line ever since, and don't even bother asking them any more - their loss. Maybe once in a while I'll stop by and buy a $3 cable or a $4 tube if that's what's preventing me from going on a ride, but that's about it.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ