• 07-26-2011
    madsedan
    Went in looking for $90 shoes and got allot more!
    I finally made the leap to clipless, using eggbeaters, and when checking out shoes I was looking at the $90 Spec shoes, 3 velcro straps, nothing fancy. My LBS had some older stock of shoes left, a few pair of specialized shoes from 2009 and 2010 and some 661's, some Mavic's, etc. so I asked to look through them when I was in there a few weeks ago and they had some in my size that were nicer shoes but steeply discounted.
    I ended up getting a pair of Pro's from 2009 or 2010, carbon fiber soled with a ratcheting top strap, etc. for about what the cheaper ones I went in to get were going to cost. They were originally around $250, I got them for less than half off, stellar deal on great shoes that are overkill for a rider like myself. When I went out for a ride that evening I had the nicest shoes in the group, they were all busting my balls about having $300 carbon shoes, etc.

So, be sure to ask about NOS (new old stock) at your LBS when looking for appearel, you'll pick up a deal on last years bike shorts, etc.
  • 07-26-2011
    mimi1885
    Awesome! Congrat.:)
  • 07-26-2011
    AZ
    Good tip, never hurts to ask.
  • 07-26-2011
    redmr2_man
    sweet deal, those are nice shoes!
  • 07-27-2011
    fell_brook
    My LBS would charge the MSRP because "you can't buy these anywhere anymore."
  • 07-27-2011
    rkj__
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post

lol :lol:
  • 07-27-2011
    one4teen
    Got the same deal last year. Went in for comps, got pros for a better price. Good deal.
  • 07-29-2011
    iloj
    Quote:

Yeah, kinda sounds like all of my local LBS's. They seem to have a very high opinion of themselves. It's worth asking the question about NOS though. Typically, I end up figuring out what I want, than buying on-line. Several times, I walked into one of several of my LBS's, told them specifically what I wanted, which they had in stock, told them the price I found them on-line, and offered to buy from them if they would match the price, because I wanted to support my local LBS. They always turned me down, trying to sell me on the value of their expertise and knowledge - I walked out, been buying on-line ever since, and don't even bother asking them any more - their loss. Maybe once in a while I'll stop by and buy a $3 cable or a $4 tube if that's what's preventing me from going on a ride, but that's about it.