Wear your helmet!- Mtbr.com
    Stray Bullet

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ugh, those almost made me puke in my mouth.

mtbr member
    Obviously he wasn't wearing a Dickies hat. Bravo, smart guy.

May 2006
    If you don't wear a helmet in this sport you deserve to look like that.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Obviously he wasn't wearing a Dickies hat...
    saving lives, one idiot at a time....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disco-Superfly
    its not going to stop me from not wearing a helmet on the street.... but I always have FF on for jumpish stuff/ DH....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member

Pro Crastinator
    i bet if you suck on that straw, it tastes like a milkshake...

mtbr member
    Nah, more like on of em protein shakes......

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    its not going to stop me from not wearing a helmet on the street.... but I always have FF on for jumpish stuff/ DH....

I always wear a helmet now days, especially on the street!

Jul 2005
    Bleh, I always wear my helmet. Not good to risk, really not worth the pain, money, or worries. Good luck healing, WEAR YOUR HELMET!

mtbr member
    Helmet when I ride mountains, park, jumps, or just risky street stuff. I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid. I commute on my bike, and like to session a bit while I do, but I keep the riding relatively tame because sweaty and nappy don't quite cut it from 9-5, so a helmet is more of a pain then the extra security is worth.

Helmet when I ride mountains, park, jumps, or just risky street stuff. I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid. I commute on my bike, and like to session a bit while I do, but I keep the riding relatively tame because sweaty and nappy don't quite cut it from 9-5, so a helmet is more of a pain then the extra security is worth.
    until you get clobbered by a car.

mtbr member
    Thats possible, but still unlikely enough for me to feel better enjoying the comfort of an unladen cranium. Helmets do have a trade off, and the costs and benefits vary based on the situation. When riding to and from wherever, I fall so infrequently that its hard to justify the helmet, especially since any falls I have had on any commute ever (except for one incedent when I was like 8) have not involved the dome. I don't defend those who do dumb things while not wearing a lid, but I take a calculated risk, and the odds are in my favor. Just like walking outside in the morning is a calculated risk. Someone wearing a lampshade for a hat might just stab you, but probably not.

Helmet on principle when I ride trails, skatepark, DJ, or doing tricks in the street. When riding around town, I know what I'm doing, and these drivers in Switzerland are used to cyclist and motorino (scooter) riders.

I'll do pretty simple tricks like manuals when just riding to get places with no lid.
    I've a good friend who was JRA doing a manual. Or so he has been told. Apparently he looped out landed on his head. Total freak accident. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and then a few weeks a little bit spacey. Doctors weren't sure how much damage the swelling was going to do. He eventually recovered OK, but darn, that's a bad way to learn a lesson. Wondering if your brain is ever going to be the same is freaky stuff.

You can also look at it from an economist's perspective. The brain is pretty much the most valuable thing you've got. The price of insurance (the sum total of your perceived inconvenience caused by the helmet) is not only relatively small, but because it's largely a perceived cost, it's also something that you have control over.

Jan 2007
    saving lives, one idiot at a time....
    That duesche cares more about his arms and legs then his head. WHATA ***!

a tight kick sound
    Jesus.............
    This thread makes me wanna hurl
    Every month I pay nearly half of my salary for bills from school past, present and future.
    I figured it out one time how much I have paid for school and I concluded I should be wearing a helmet even when I walk around let alone a bike...

black & blue
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Yikes! I'd never be out on the road without a helmet - riding on a bike with cars scares me more than any off-road trail I can think of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Same for me I figure 0.1% cost of education will cover it. Ouch.
    I look like a large pillow coming down the mountain

Thats possible, but still unlikely enough for me to feel better enjoying the comfort of an unladen cranium. Helmets do have a trade off, and the costs and benefits vary based on the situation. When riding to and from wherever, I fall so infrequently that its hard to justify the helmet, especially since any falls I have had on any commute ever (except for one incedent when I was like 8) have not involved the dome. I don't defend those who do dumb things while not wearing a lid, but I take a calculated risk, and the odds are in my favor. Just like walking outside in the morning is a calculated risk. Someone wearing a lampshade for a hat might just stab you, but probably not.

Helmet on principle when I ride trails, skatepark, DJ, or doing tricks in the street. When riding around town, I know what I'm doing, and these drivers in Switzerland are used to cyclist and motorino (scooter) riders.
    Oh you're in Europe... nevermind. I made the mistake of trying to tell a European to wear a helmet once before. Man did I get an earful!

EastBaySteez
    I was thinking more along the lines of it being a spoon and you would open the flap and get some pudding.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Aug 2006
    Ouch!

mtbr member
    I know what I'm doing.

I bet those two dudes in the pics above said the same thing.

clyde in training
    dude.... I hope for a quick recovery. I wear my helmet every time I get the chance. I don't always buckler it, but due to recent events, I think I will.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    It makes me feel bad about going to the corner without.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    You, guys assume that I am ignoring the risk involved. Its pretty simple. You just think of the severity of what can happen, which is pretty bad. Then factor in the probability of it happening, which is very low. Then I weigh that against the fact that every time I commute every day in the late spring to early fall periods, there is a 100% chance of sweating like a pig (which would be no problem to me if I were not going to school/work). Next year I'll probably have a nice arrangement where it'll be all downhill in the morning and uphill at the end of the day (opposite of how it is now). Then I'll have no reason not to wear a helmet, so I probably will. Thats how it works when you live in the Alps, nothing is flat.
    Believe me, the basis of my thinking is pure economic cost benefit analysis. I don't defent not wearing a helmet, but I want to emphasis that you can assess the risks involved. If I am ever riding at over 60% or simply don't have a reason not to, I always do.

I'm also not European. I from Cali, I am just living here now.

also, if you are wearing a helmet, be sure to buckle it. If you don't then its just a false sense of security.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be the helmet nazi, and in many ways, I still am. But there are more than just the benefits of the helmet to consider. I got into the same argument with some superiors back in my military days about wearing body armor in the dog days of summer. If there is a 0.000001% chance that I'll get shot, and a 40% chance that I'll get heat exhaustion because I'm wearing body armour in 120 degree desert conditions, whats the greater risk. In the bike helmet case its not so bad but if I show up to work looking like crap, the boss ain't exactly pleased.

Feb 2006
    jesus christ, heal soon man!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh Man! Thanks- I will never forget my helmet agin. I am not joking either!

Oct 2005

what's the best?

so what is the best full helmet out there? I just screwed up my face last week, and need some full coverage.

Mi vida es bueno
    Holy crap! That flippin nasty! I think it's stupid to not to wear a helmet, in ANY situation. Protect your noggin, they don't make replacements!

Feb 2006
    Even when i ride trails i have my fullface on. Yes ppl look at me funny but i couldnt give a rats ass what anyone thinks. I have crashed enough times to know that i'd rather have a full then not.

"Its All Good"
    was out on the roadie here in Spain, that means if I make it home in one piece it is a fluke. The drivers here have zero respect for cyclists. And it amazes me more how many of these staunch Spanish guys dont wear helmets, I ccan tfathom why someone wouldnt here of all places...

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink...

A very good written account from this young dude. Hope he heals well.

I never skimo on buying good quality helmets, when I did my coma on my moto x bike, am so glad I was wearing a Shoe helmet, saved my life for sure.... Will say no more...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Mi vida es bueno
    You, guys assume that I am ignoring the risk involved. Its pretty simple. You just think of the severity of what can happen, which is pretty bad. Then factor in the probability of it happening, which is very low. Then I weigh that against the fact that every time I commute every day in the late spring to early fall periods, there is a 100% chance of sweating like a pig (which would be no problem to me if I were not going to school/work). Next year I'll probably have a nice arrangement where it'll be all downhill in the morning and uphill at the end of the day (opposite of how it is now). Then I'll have no reason not to wear a helmet, so I probably will. Thats how it works when you live in the Alps, nothing is flat.
    Believe me, the basis of my thinking is pure economic cost benefit analysis. I don't defent not wearing a helmet, but I want to emphasis that you can assess the risks involved. If I am ever riding at over 60% or simply don't have a reason not to, I always do.

I'm also not European. I from Cali, I am just living here now.

also, if you are wearing a helmet, be sure to buckle it. If you don't then its just a false sense of security.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be the helmet nazi, and in many ways, I still am. But there are more than just the benefits of the helmet to consider. I got into the same argument with some superiors back in my military days about wearing body armor in the dog days of summer. If there is a 0.000001% chance that I'll get shot, and a 40% chance that I'll get heat exhaustion because I'm wearing body armour in 120 degree desert conditions, whats the greater risk. In the bike helmet case its not so bad but if I show up to work looking like crap, the boss ain't exactly pleased.

I would rather be safe than sorry, considering that even though there is a minute chance of getting seriously injured, I always seem to beat the odds and crash....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxx
    so what is the best full helmet out there? I just screwed up my face last week, and need some full coverage.
    Always go try some on. I would recommend getting something MTB specific so that it isn't too hard. I have a 661 Carbon Bravo. Good stuff, I wanted to go for the Troy Lee, but every size they had did not fit. Most companies make at least one quality FF model, in fact most FF models are good. The fit is what varies and I cannot say it enough, go try them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    Oh you're in Europe... nevermind. I made the mistake of trying to tell a European to wear a helmet once before. Man did I get an earful!
    yeah! our european heads are the most tough hollow estructure in the well-known universe. I actually work demolishing small buildings with my face. nice work ever.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tod Says What?!
    That duesche cares more about his arms and legs then his head. WHATA ***!
    i know, what a dumb fukc...

mtbr member
    man i like helmets, i would be pretty much paranoid w/o mine.. riding on the dirt or even commuting. (Utah drivers are probably the most inconsiderate and distracted/dangerous drivers in the world, hands down)

I'm excited b/c i just ordered a new Fox Flux today to replace my busted trail lid.

Oct 2005
    I was looking at the flux today, great looking lid! Anybody know how often you are supposed to switch out your XC helmet? I've had mine for 3 years and 20+ recks

anybody ever use a Bell Bellistic? only $80, but i'm wondering if it's like a McD's Cheeseburger where it's something that you'd feel better about if it cost more money?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxx
    I was looking at the flux today, great looking lid! Anybody know how often you are supposed to switch out your XC helmet? I've had mine for 3 years and 20+ recks

anybody ever use a Bell Bellistic? only $80, but i'm wondering if it's like a McD's Cheeseburger where it's something that you'd feel better about if it cost more money?
    the bellistic is a quality helmet .. usually the more money you spend the more features/lighter weight the helmet. I wear the 661 pro bravo (non-carbon) its super comfy, light weight, and super cheap on ebay.

my buddy wears a 661 full comp and loves it... its on the lower end of the price scale too.
    especially on ebay!!

i end up replacing my xc/trail helmets when they break, I don't know if that is the correct time to do it, but thats when i do it.