Wear your armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wear your armor

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Wear your armor

thread title hopefully says it all. On monday I was going back and forth between wearing my armor and not wearing it. On a lark I decided to throw it on. I was at auburn at the bottom of murder/stonewall in the rocky section haulin balls and I went down pretty hard, smashed my stomach into the stem, but the bad part was when the fork got bogged down and threw me over the bars. Landed on my back in the middle of the rock garden and smashed my head into the rocks too. I would have been totally boned (possibly paralyzed, I landed really hard almost 100% on my back) If I didn't have my back plate, but as it was, not a scratch. I'm wearing my armor 100% of the time.

Today I'm riding in auburn again and we go hit up "the field trip drop" donno if thats its actual name. I do it, goes smooth, my friend decided to go for it, noses in, and slams his stomach into the stem and goes down hard. He got pretty brutalized, but he also would have been boned without his armor.

I know it sucks wearing it while its hot but do it anyway, don't get hurt!

FReak
    Good advice. x2
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wurd.
    +1
    ive been there i know what u mean.
    right on glad to hear ur ok
    looking for someone fast to ride with in the yay

RIDESFO

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Glad to hear you're O.K.

This is going to sound stupid by comparison, but every time I don't put on my elbow guards, I slide out or wreck right on my elbow and it produces a golf ball lump. Grrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    every time I wear my armor I wreck, and hurt myself somewhere where it wouldn't been any different without it.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Thats why it always pays to wear protective gear. It may be uncomfortable and not always look cool, but its better than spending the rest of your life in a wheel chair!
    My cousin was riding his motorbike, showing off to his friends, crashed and ended up in a wheel chair at 16 years old. the doctors said that the only thing that kept him alive was the $1000 dollar helmet he was wearing.
    Thats the story i say to idiots who ride without a helmet and ask me why i wear a helmet
    Always wear protective gear

Jul 2007
    True that, man. Even if people are staring at you saying "Why the hell would anybody wear that," just don't give a ****. It'll save ya.

pwn3rator
    will, i'm going to be in davis for a tournament this weekend. i'll give you a call if i have time between games...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Mountain Lion Bait
    Will, that is a nasty ass place to eat sh!t. Me personally, I never wear any armor in Auburn but I know I'm playing with fire. There are lots of places there to get jacked up. Glad your ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    update: friend just went to the hospital, getting surgery for a lacerated spleen. Kidney belt didn't do as much as could be hoped for, but my god he would have been boned if he didn't have the armor on.

Even more reason now

Hit me up when you're in town henry

mtbr member
    Here here. I love meeting guys who poke fun at you for wearing armor and spout all that macho ********. There's a reason armor exists.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Glad to Be Alive
    look it is really a nice feeling to not wear armour, but after a while it is like not wearing a seat belt....you feel naked without

I can site you examples about why you should wear armour, but I've been drinking and too tired to tell you why
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 10-18-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    we all wear armour where i ride, its seldom you see someone riding without it, its so rocky and loose here even if you go down from a standing stop your going to do yourself some kind of damage, i normally take off my back shield though, i wear a deuter attack back pack with a build in back shield and kidney protector, and believe it or not when im finished riding i can attach my helmet pressure suit and leg guards all to the back for the ride home, its a chore to wear armour but in my view its necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    update: friend just went to the hospital, getting surgery for a lacerated spleen. Kidney belt didn't do as much as could be hoped for, but my god he would have been boned if he didn't have the armor on.

Even more reason now

Hit me up when you're in town henry

boned?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Similar story for me last weekend. Riding downhill at Sunday River in Maine last weekend when I go over the bars on a steep rocky section. I didn't even try to fight it since I had the armor on. I just bounced nicely from rock to rock. I was more concerned about the clanging sound that was chasing me, namely my bike. I didn't even have a scratch. My back went over every rock in that section. I may look like a storm trooper, but hey, I'm 42 and lived to ride another day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't be dumb. Wear the armor. Nobody cares how cool you look without it - unless you're trying to impress all the dudes you're riding with

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i dont think most people don't wear it because it doesn't look cool.

I know thats not an issue for me. Usually its because its hot out, or its a pain and a half to peel it off after I'm done with a run, and I overheat with it on. There are plenty of reasons I don't wear it. Just the one big reason to wear it should always outweigh the reasons not to.

mtbr member
    I need to invest in some chest armor...

especially after reading this
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC

Slopestyle Rider
    The announcers at Crankorx Colorado made fun of me for wearing a hoodie (wore it for skin protection... skin ripped off sucks bawlz). I laughed everytime some jackass in a skate helmet and a t-shirt slid across the ground and literally screamed in pain.

Pads are good.

THELAND photographer
    yea....i rode the fredrick watershed the other day (dont have armor yet) brok my der. off the frst run. and did 3 more without a chain...well all was going well untill i realized i couldnt pedal kick off a ledge...oops...front wheel cased landing head over heels landed on my left side about 7 feet down the trail on rocks. luckily all i have is some nasty scrapes a badly bruised hand and soreness but i definitely wont go back there without armor and a chain....i mean come on who is dumb enough to ride without the pedal power i mean usually..id quit at that point but im not driving 2 hrs to not ride after going 5 ft down the trail and ripping my mech off....it was super fun tho

and armor is on my christmas list :-)

mtbr member
    one time i was glad i was wearing armour was when i did this 15 foot step down landed too far left, looked down (big mistake!) to doge between two big loose rocks head on into a tree about 20, managed to not be hit by the tree, i landed on my back bent over a foot ball (soccer ball?) size rock with my torso body armour stopping my back bending too far, "phew" only damage any where was a bent rotor
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Members who have read this thread: 0