Waterproof Socks vs Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Waterproof Socks vs Shoes

Any opinions out there on the use of waterproof socks (a la Sealskinz) versus shoes (Shimano MW02)?

The main factor is keeping my feet dry, not too worried about the warmth factor, I can address this with the appropriate 'undersocks'.

The usage would be wet weather / puddles etc, not river crossings / large streams.

Thanks

Jun 2008
    Why don't you combine both. That'd make you unstoppable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    too expensive in my part of the world, and I think could be overkill for what I need

Jun 2008
    Fair enough. Surely socks would be better if you're going for one or the other.

UKMac

Shoes

I didn't have good luck with socks. I found seal skins kept water in but not out. Good winter boots are definately one of the best clothing purchases I've made.

One Gear
    I never had any luck with the socks. I did buy the MW02 last winter and love them. Kept my feet dry and warm all winter long. They may be too hot for just wet riding in the summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Dilema

The problem with the waterproof socks is that your feet sweat in them and then the water has no place to go. I cut some pretty big holes in one pair of mine right at the top. This worked pretty well unless you end up in water that goes above the holes. So if the water is not to deep you could try the socks.

Mud lover
    Mar 2007
    If you don't mind looking a bit of an idiot you can always try walking gators! They work! But as I say, on a cycle they do look silly.

I just put up with wet feet. All this waterproof stuff is fine and dandy until mud gets on them. The mud then soaks up any water and reduces any breathability leaving you with soaking feet regardless.

Members who have read this thread: 0