mtbr member
    Apr 2005

waterproof socks

what do you think of waterproof socks?
    showerpass sells waterproof socks.

DOOM
    I like turtles

DOOM
    On a more serious note - how would waterproof socks be greatly advantageous over moisture wicking socks?

Not being a wiseguy here, I'm trying to work out in my head the use case. I don't live somewhere with much rain or water so that could be part of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Sealskinz are great for winter riding up here in the PNW

One ring to mash them all
    Maybe not the OP's intended use, but vapor barrier liner (VBL) socks can keep your feet warmer in very cold conditions.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...er-liner-socks
    Women belong in the kitchen.
    Men belong in the kitchen.
    Everyone belongs in the kitchen.
    Kitchen has food.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    On a more serious note - how would waterproof socks be greatly advantageous over moisture wicking socks?

Not being a wiseguy here, I'm trying to work out in my head the use case. I don't live somewhere with much rain or water so that could be part of it.
    Gotta live in a cool, wet climate to start seeing advantages. Where I live, in summertime, though it's very wet, it's also very warm, so I don't want to go anywhere near anything waterproof.

But getting into this time of year, it's still wet, and it gets much cooler, so being wet on a ride gets a whole lot more troublesome. Keeping dry is a lot more critical. So now I start looking for waterproof stuff. Waterproof socks are an important part of that, because you WILL get wet feet on an awful lot of rides here because there are some rather deep river crossings and a LOT of smaller stream crossings. I avoid the deeper river crossings this time of year (walking through waist-deep water early in a ride when the high is about 50F and low near freezing isn't my idea of fun), but the smaller crossings will often get your feet wet.

Waterproof socks are much better than waterproof shoes, IMO.

mtbr member
    Myself and a lot of others wear goretex over socks in the wet season.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought some Bridgedale waterproof socks a little while ago. In wet snowy weather my feet were dry and a little cool. They are available in a light weight and medium. I got lightweight and they are pretty thick. Like a thick pair of plain wool socks. Heavy weight would probably make my shoes for too tight. Iíll probably get another pair.

Upcyclist
    Plasti-Dip your feet, you can go as high as you want.
    I'm not a robot

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    what do you think of waterproof socks?
    showerpass sells waterproof socks.
    I have 2 pairs of their socks and the first generation of 45northís wolf hammer boots. I also had a pair of pearl izumi water proof cycling boots.

I really think waterproof socks are the way to go until temps start dropping into the 20s.

Iíve even carried them on 50 degree air temp rides that I knew Iíd be crossing some streams that were in the mid 30s. Put them on with my shoes in my pack and walked across the stream with nothing but the socks on my feet. On the other side, put regular socks back on with dry shoes.

My one criticism of the showers pass socks is that they feel like you are wearing a ziplock baggie for s sock. Seems as though there is minimum shaping of the sock to a foot. But, now that I moved out of perennial sunshine 320 days of the year and into more cold than Iíve ever dealt with,they will once again become a regular wear or take in the pack if there is any chance of getting feet wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've used plastic bread bags before. Is this much different?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'll second the Bridgedale. For long road rides where the weather can be particularly erratic, they've been a godsend. That said, I have been known to resort to some pretty shocking DIY plastic bag solutions in the past when all else failed aka I haven't done my washing...