Waterproof jackets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Waterproof jackets?

So it seems my waterproof jacket isn't very waterproof after 5 minutes in light rain so I'm looking for something that actually is waterproof and breathable. Any suggestions?
    Also looking for Enduro specific. Lol

Colorado
    I can recommend a pretty nice XC jacket, a great Trail one, and a pretty swell AM jacket. Enduro? Not a clue

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ltspd1 View Post
    I can recommend a pretty nice XC jacket, a great Trail one, and a pretty swell AM jacket. Enduro? Not a clue
    Well a DH jacket might be too much and an AM jacket might not be enough, sooo.
    Anyways what's this AM jacket you speak of?

mtbr member
    Well this doesn't come in Enduro blue but it is made out of Polartech Neoshell, is not insanely expensive, and really works. Hood I'd large enough to go over your helmet if it gets that bad. I used mine for a couple of rides, but I like it so much I bought a cheaper, not so nice Royal Matrix and kept the Helix as my good jacket. It really is the dog's bollocks though. XC it's not, although you could DH in a pinch.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Crap, I just noticed you're in Switzerland so shipping may eat up the cheapness.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gore Bike Wear ALP-X been good to me. I have an older model it packs down ok. Closer to 1L Nalgene bottle than say a soda can. If I need something smaller I just use a roadie pocket shell.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Neoshell is pretty amazing stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Crap, I just noticed you're in Switzerland so shipping may eat up the cheapness.
    Chain Reaction my friend, and most jackets are priced right around or above the free shipping amount. if it's not enough I can always order some brake pads/tires etc, etc.
    Never a short supply of things I need to get that free shipping. Lol
    Unfortunately they have neither of the models you listed but I will keep my eye open.
    Anyone try Polaris? seems like a decent price with good reviews.

mtbr member
    I have had Endura Equipe for three years and it's definitely waterproof. Reasonably breathable too, but I have to hold back a bit when wearing it - otherwise I'll be soaking wet from sweat. Great for relaxed commuting and low intensity training especially in cold weather.

The fact is - and I say this as someone who sells clothes for a living - that there is no such thing as waterproof and breathable. Gore Tex and such is better than wearing a rubber coat, but when you're exercising hard in the rain you will be wet one way or another. It can not be avoided.

What you can do is keep yourself warm and reasonably comfortable despite being a bit wet. I find water resistant clothes and a thin merino wool base layer to be the best combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    I have had Endura Equipe for three years and it's definitely waterproof. Reasonably breathable too, but I have to hold back a bit when wearing it - otherwise I'll be soaking wet from sweat. Great for relaxed commuting and low intensity training especially in cold weather.

The fact is - and I say this as someone who sells clothes for a living - that there is no such thing as waterproof and breathable. Gore Tex and such is better than wearing a rubber coat, but when you're exercising hard in the rain you will be wet one way or another. It can not be avoided.

What you can do is keep yourself warm and reasonably comfortable despite being a bit wet. I find water resistant clothes and a thin merino wool base layer to be the best combo.
    Ill check out the Endura, thanks for the tip and I agree that waterproof and breathable is something that quite hard to accomplish completely. I would actually prefer something that's a bit more on the waterproof side than breathable but I don't want a portable sauna either. I don't ride when it's pouring but a light rain or drizzle is perfectly fine as I live in Zurich and we have to deal with a lot of rain (similar to PNW) however I'm often in the Alps at a higher elevation/lower temperature and nothing sucks more than when your coming down the mountain soaking wet freezing your nuts off.

mtbr member
    If you have a long climb, might experience drizzle and then come down from a mountain, might be that no combination of garments will work for the whole duration. I'd stop and put something on (or take off) depending on the situation.

9 lives
    Gore-tex is waterproof, windproof, and breathable. Some brands are a little more affordable

Brands I've used are gore-wear and arc'teryx, Gore-tex will trap perspiration so choose items with ventilation otherwise you'll cook
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a Showers Pass Elite jacket. The one with eVent fabric and big honkin' pit zips. The pit zips help a lot, though I think the fabric is a little better than Gore-Tex, at least at the time. Even found some white papers.

For athletic riding, I'm really liking my softshell jersey or just a regular jersey and a vest. I feel like I get more wet and disgusting sweating, so layers I can take off and more breathable fabrics seem to be my best approach.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    toughen up its just rain

mtbr member
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I have a Showers Pass Elite jacket. The one with eVent fabric and big honkin' pit zips. The pit zips help a lot, though I think the fabric is a little better than Gore-Tex, at least at the time. Even found some white papers.

For athletic riding, I'm really liking my softshell jersey or just a regular jersey and a vest. I feel like I get more wet and disgusting sweating, so layers I can take off and more breathable fabrics seem to be my best approach.
    True, I usually stow the jacket in my pack and just get wet on the climb. At the top I'll swap to a dry merino shirt, and put on the rain jacket. I'm wet on the way up but the exertion keeps me warm. Dry shirt and the rain jacket are great for the trip down.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Don't worry, be happy!
    The thing you have to remember about any of the waterproof breathable fabrics is that they are not designed for highly aerobic (sweat producing) activities. They are designed to function best in cold, low humidity environments like the high alpine. If you are running or biking in a waterproof breathable, at some point you will produce more moisture than can be moved by the fabric technology. I think Travis Bickle's plan is the best one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    So it seems my waterproof jacket isn't very waterproof after 5 minutes in light rain so I'm looking for something that actually is waterproof and breathable. Any suggestions?
    Also looking for Enduro specific. Lol
    Troy Lee Designs just launched all of their new line, there is a new jacket in the line, RUCKUS https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0835-02

The whole line up is here
    Troy Lee Designs® | For The World's Fastest Racers?

mtbr member
    If you have a long climb, might experience drizzle and then come down from a mountain, might be that no combination of garments will work for the whole duration. I'd stop and put something on (or take off) depending on the situation.
    For the uphill part I use the weather protection of a cable car, works great and you don't sweat at all. Lol. Actually I do climb sometimes. We normally use the cable cars to gain elevation then climb from there. But you still sweat, get wet, hot and cold.
    Actually I have a closet full of under/over garments for Skiing/Snowboardng/hiking/mountaineering. just missing that one good rain jacket other than my Mammut which isn't the best for biking as it has a short rear end nor can it fit with any protection on.

Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    The thing you have to remember about any of the waterproof breathable fabrics is that they are not designed for highly aerobic (sweat producing) activities. They are designed to function best in cold, low humidity environments like the high alpine. If you are running or biking in a waterproof breathable, at some point you will produce more moisture than can be moved by the fabric technology. I think Travis Bickle's plan is the best one.
    High Alpine is my environment. But you never know when the storm comes so I'm looking for something packable and isn't afraid of getting dirty without being a sauna. I'm liking the design of the Fox Downpour. Removable hoodie (for when your off the bike) rear vent and pit vents with 10K waterproof/ 10K breath ability. Anyone have this jacket? Second choice would be the Royal Matrix or something from Vaude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    Troy Lee Designs just launched all of their new line, there is a new jacket in the line, RUCKUS https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0835-02

The whole line up is here
    Troy Lee Designs® | For The World's Fastest Racers?
    That's the same nylon/poly I'm trying to replace. I went ahead and treated my useless rain jacket to see if that helps. Plus I have four cans of treatment I need to use up so I drenched it then wiped it down. In the meantime I accidentally ordered the Fox Downpour, don't tell my wife. Lol.

mtbr member
    Royal Matrix is a little on the bulky side. I picked it up because it was $100 Canadian, is waterproof, breathes a bit, and looks enduro. If I ruin it mountain biking I won't feel too bad.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here are some tips for re doing the DWR,
    Most of us know about the two step process, something like Techwash/TX direct depending on what brand you are using.
    I learned something from one of my professional peers, Mr. Mender of Schelt, BC who does over 20K pieces of goretex wash commercially every year.

The techwash is more of a vehicle to prepare item for the second step (DWR renewal stuff). Maybe you've noticed that your item never feels actually "clean" so what you really need to do is this -
    wash your item with liquid detergent, then rinse THREE time.
    Then, do tech wash, TX direct. You should get much better DWR results this way. Never,ever use a hot dryer, either. Use a low dry just enough to warm the item up and dry it mostly.

Cheers
    Penny

mtbr member
    Here are some tips for re doing the DWR,
    Most of us know about the two step process, something like Techwash/TX direct depending on what brand you are using.
    I learned something from one of my professional peers, Mr. Mender of Schelt, BC who does over 20K pieces of goretex wash commercially every year.

The techwash is more of a vehicle to prepare item for the second step (DWR renewal stuff). Maybe you've noticed that your item never feels actually "clean" so what you really need to do is this -
    wash your item with liquid detergent, then rinse THREE time.
    Then, do tech wash, TX direct. You should get much better DWR results this way. Never,ever use a hot dryer, either. Use a low dry just enough to warm the item up and dry it mostly.

Cheers
    Penny
    That's a good tip thanks. I tried to give you more rep but I need to spread some love around first.

I normally just do a tech wash, then apply a penetrating waterproofer. And I always air dry the garments. Thats "normally" good enough unless the garment is really soiled then I do a prewash. Your tip sounds more thorough and might last longer. I'll have to try next time.

mtbr member
    Showers Pass Refuge Jacket.

Seriously the best piece of kit I've bought in a long time.

Absolutely stellar quality, and amazing water and wind proofness.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Best advice imho is to buy a normal outdoor rain jacket, not a bike specific one. Makes spending decent money on it much easier. I have a Patagonia Torrentshell and use it for pretty much everything.

Ludicrous Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Showers Pass Refuge Jacket.

Seriously the best piece of kit I've bought in a long time.

Absolutely stellar quality, and amazing water and wind proofness.
    I was in a Showers Pass last weekend, loved the fit, loved the breath-ability, but then did some searches on Showers Pass and saw a lot of negative reviews.

It was so rainy that every part of my body was soaked, but the jacket kept me warm and most of my torso dry. It wasn't until my shoes became so soaked that there were puddles INSIDE my shoes that I stopped enjoying the ride. Will need to find a waterproof shoe before riding in the rain again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Gore Bike Wear ALP-X been good to me. I have an older model it packs down ok. Closer to 1L Nalgene bottle than say a soda can. If I need something smaller I just use a roadie pocket shell.
    Use the same and is well fitted so not like a sail in the wind. Plenty of hardly used second hand jackets, my Alp-x was well under half price. Best to buy quality rather than an over priced branded fashion accessory.

Ludicrous Speed
    Where do you go for 2nd hand jackets?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Very popular on line auction website. The manufacturers websites have size guides on.

Formerly of Kent
    Castelli Gabba. There's a reason 90% of the ProTour road racers wear them, despite not being sponsor-approved or provided.
    Death from Below.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a rain jersey that I think is the teamwear version of that. Awesome.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx