Waterproof AND breathable - Neoshell? Something else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Waterproof AND breathable - Neoshell? Something else?

Wise ones -

I'm looking into a new waterproof layer for daily use/mtb use (although let's be honest, I try to justify all my mtb related purchases as for daily use too).

I'm currently rocking an older EMS-brand version of the marmot precip. I like that it's waterproof/windproof, has pitzips, a hood, and velcro cuffs. I don't like that it rips like toilet paper and steams me like a piece of broccoli.

So, in a new rain/wind jacket I'm looking for something that has all that I like about the precip + is made of tougher fabric and is more breathable. Something made out of Polartec NeoShell (maybe not in a mtb/cycling specific jacket, but I'm open to any suggestion) seems like it might actually fit the bill but I haven't been able to find a lot of feedback about it around here, so I'm looking for any thoughts/feedback/suggestions that people have.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you have the scratch, I'd go for a neoshell product too. It's the latest/greatest. I have my doubts that anything will be able to breath well enough, and maintain waterproofness under heavy exertion, but this material is probably as close as you'll come at this point, from what I've read.

Sugoi makes a mtb specific jacket, that looks great, but $. Somebody makes custom jackets out of neoshell, and was priced significantly cheaper, but I can't remember their name. IF you look for some of the more recent "what rain jacket" threads, somebody posted their name. I haven't really researched the mountaineering style jackets made of ns, but it seems like many are going to this material.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah the Sugoi RSX looks pretty solid. Definite $$; will have to keep an eye out for sales. Foxwear is what you're thinking of, I think, for the cheaper custom stuff. It does look pretty nice but the velcro pockets and elastic cuffs are deal breakers for me. I'm curious to know if folks have actually used any of these new-gen materials, and what their thoughts are. In short, I'm more willing to pony up if it's actually worth it.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Foxwear | Custom Sized Sports Outerwear | Made in Salmon, ID

Lou makes great products right here in the USA. I have a pair of neoshell pants and a neoshell vest from him. I'd have one of his jackets too, if I hadn't gotten a Westcomb before I found Lou. Check out his stuff. It's well made and the price is right. I also have a pair of winter pants/tights from him, and they have been awesome over the last 2 winters. I recommend him over all the overpriced big name outfits that make all their stuff overseas. Oh yeah, did I mention his gear is built to order ie custom fit. Hell to the yeah!

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Neoshell blows away anything else I have ever owned or tried in terms of waterproofness and breath ability. It seems plenty durable as well. At first I didn't know if I'd like elastic/Velcro cuffs on my pants, but they have been bomber. I had no reason to be concerned whatsoever. My legs have never gotten wet in these pants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a Sugoi RSE jacket and have been amazed at how well it breathes. That Neoshell material is light years ahead of anything else I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Wow. That Foxwear stuff looks great and the price is the best I have ever seen for what purports (I'm looking at you North Face) to be quality stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0