Washing shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Washing shoes

Apr 2007

Washing shoes

how do you all wash your biking shoes? i have clipless cleats on my shoe, and went out for a ride last weekend- very, very muddy. now all the mud is dried up on my shoe, and there is no way i can get them off easily.

my buddy put his shoe in the washing machine, and it came out nice and clean...
    i am afraid to do that, since it might shrink/destroy the fabric of the shoe and the cleat.

how do you clean an ultra muddy shoe?

Old man on a bike
    I use a hose when I get home from a muddy ride to get it off while it's easy and the shoe's already wet. If the mud's dried maybe I'd try a stiff brush. Some can withstand washing machines I guess but I've never tried it.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

life is a barrel o'fun
    Never ever washed my shoes. I just wear clean socks each time.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by geekrider
    how do you all wash your biking shoes? i have clipless cleats on my shoe, and went out for a ride last weekend- very, very muddy. now all the mud is dried up on my shoe, and there is no way i can get them off easily.

i am afraid to do that, since it might shrink/destroy the fabric of the shoe and the cleat.

Hose 'em off. May use a brush and a little soap if they are really grungy. Then I stuff remove the sockliner/insole and stuff them with newspaper to dry.

Using a washing machine is hard on the shoes and the machine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I ride a Swarf
    Another hoser here . Only if they are properly muddy though. If You don't clean em when tyheya re that bad you get dirty feet as soon as you put em on and you shed bits of mud where ever you walk (e.g. around the house when trying tog et the bike out)

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekrider

Depends on how the shoe is constructed. My shoes are plastic & nylon mesh, so a hose & a brush cleans them just fine. If your shoes have significant amounts of fabric & other porous materials, you may need a more thorough method.

Also depends on what kind of mud. You can usually leave a residue of clay & silt without too much problem, but rotten swamp muck should be cleaned immediately & thoroughly.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

bi-winning
    i usually go with the hose in the cases where i can't see what colour the shoe is. if they are not too bad, i just brush them off. if they are only a little muddy, i do nothing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

...the wave won't brek
    Take the insoles out, Hose 'em, scrub 'em with a soft cloth if I have to, Take a Stiff Brush to the sole if I have to stuff 'em with brown paper towel, leave 'em in the sun to dry.

Nice shinny clean MTB shoes
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

wot no bike?
    Before each ride I just bang them on the ground to get most of the crap off, I have another pair that I wear to fashion shows.
    pete

mtbr member
    If the mud is really caked on there and dried out and a hose won't get it off, fill a bucket with some warm water and a little laundry detergent, and let them soak for a few hours. Then hose them off, maybe scrub with a scrub brush and let them air dry for a day. Make sure you take the insoles out. Letting those soak and rinsing them out might not hurt either.

pronounced may-duh
    I use a bucket of soapy water and the hose.

It rains a lot here in the summer and my main problem was that my shoes would get wet, stay wet and start to smell like a moldy sponge. One of my ridding buds taught me a great trick. The sunlight not only dries the shoes but kills that foul mold. So he taught me to keep my shoes under the rear window of my car between rides. They get plenty of sun back there and they are always in the car and dry for the next ride.

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    I do what others have suggested- hose down the shoe with water. When that is not sufficient enough, I do what your buddy does- put them in the washing machine, making sure that the velcros and laces are secured. You should do this only if you have an industrial level washing machine (all steel). I fill the machine half up to water and just drop the shoes in for 10minutes on a very gentle cycle. Then I just stuff it with newspaper and let it air dry.

The shoe has not been shredded or come apart in bite-size peices yet.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Mar 2007
    I usually wash most of my athletic shoes in the dishwasher. I tried the clothes washer and it kind of beat them up. The dishwasher just sprays hot soapy water and then I let them air dry if sunny. If not, I wrap them up in a couple of towels (make sure they won't come out) and dry them in the dryer on low heat. But I would definitely suggest gettin as much muck off as possible before they go in the washer.

Hairy man
    I clap 'em together really hard while I'm outside.

If they're really wet, I loosen up the laces all the way and pull the tongue open and let them sit in the sun (or neat the heater during the rainy season).

Washing shoes isn't something I do.
    We all get it in the end.

Apr 2004
    I just look for a nice deep creek crossing towards the end of the ride. That cleans them well enough for me...

Apr 2007
    i got only one shoe whcih i use for riding and commuting. so i cannot commute with a shoe that has mud all over it! and we are talking about real thick dried up mud, cannot even see the color of the shoe. i tried my best to scrape of as much as i could, but still, it really bad.... cannot go to class with em.

i will try the hose method.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    RIDE THROUGH A CREEK! MTB shoes are supposed to be dirty. If you step in horse crap just fling it at the guy who laughed at you after your last full-body-dab.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Members who have read this thread: 0