Warning carbon bike and lycra content in 20 degree temps!- Mtbr.com
    It's carbon dontcha know.

Warning carbon bike and lycra content in 20 degree temps!

Sub 20F temps when I left home this morning at 8, probably didn't get into the 30's all day.

9 hours later I was pleased to get home.

Great day, even the ladies in the Runcible Spoon cafe in Nyack called us stupid for being out in it. I agreed I was stupid, but said my buddy Luis was even more so for following me on a "ride". The lady at the Bear Mountain Bridge toll booth wasn't quite sure what we were doing out there either

Plan had to change when we reached the NCT bike path at the Ketchawan Preserve and found it a snowy ice rink. That should have been a nice 26 miles of car free route but instead a new road route back to the city was quickly planned.

Photos and GPS:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/23673733

My total for the day was 106miles. Everyone else I know probably managed 2 hour rides at most today.

Clearly I am stupid

mtbr member
    Nicely done. You weren't the only one in lycra & on a plastic bike: little over 3hrs in the woods on a carbon hardtail (!) today. Wonderful day to be on a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Your Best Friend

Bonking ... not feelin' well

You called it. I did two hours today and none of it was outside.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    I did 15 minutes on the trainer today

mtbr member
    You are nuts. 100 miles anytime is impressive but on a day like today is crazy. We started from lot c at 8 and my car thermometer said 9 degrees but our average speed was 5 mph! We managed 3 hrs. It was a pleasant 25 by the time we got done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's great mileage, especially in such cold weather. This roadbiking business isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The trails are shot anyway so I'm taking it up too.

Moosehead
    whoa, 9 hrs sub 20 degrees? ur both nuts and the man. i can't even sleep for that long, and definitely need to HTFU.

Riding in those temps was fine, just keeping liquid not ice blocks in the bottles is the only issue. Although getting one bottled filled with hot water at a rest stop then having it in my rear middle jersey acting like a hot water bottle was great

Large member
    I don't know whether to be proud of your Britishness or terrified by the sheer lycraishness of it all.

Last edited by Tidybeard; 02-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.

My cup runneth over
    Too cold for too long - especially on the high speeds of the road bike. 2 hours (with chem warmers) is about it for me at low speeds. More powa to ya...

mtbr member
    Nice work John....... for a lycra clad roadie. Is that the new Turner carbon road bike Dave's been secretly working on?

Speaking of the strange looks from the waitress and toll booth lady, I actually got pulled over by a security guy while riding through an active mining district (on a county road) one morning a few weeks back in zero degrees F weather.

"It's a little cold to be riding, isn't it?" he says, while giving me the suspicious stink-eye look. I mean who in there right mind would be out in this weather just to ride, right? I must be here to steal your gold dust.

Continuing my century a month challenge, it nudged into the 40's today, 100 miles, 2 months done, 10 to go.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25143299

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Continuing my century a month challenge, it nudged into the 40's today, 100 miles, 2 months done, 10 to go.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25143299
    So, 100 miles on a road bike is, what, 20 on a mountain bike? Only less climbing? Clue me in.
    Don't load onto your day your year's burden

Your Best Friend
    Admirable. I'll be lucky if it isn't snowing tomorrow for my attempt.

Members who have read this thread: 0