• 01-31-2010
    6thElement
    Warning carbon bike and lycra content in 20 degree temps!
    Sub 20F temps when I left home this morning at 8, probably didn't get into the 30's all day.

9 hours later I was pleased to get home.

Great day, even the ladies in the Runcible Spoon cafe in Nyack called us stupid for being out in it. I agreed I was stupid, but said my buddy Luis was even more so for following me on a "ride". The lady at the Bear Mountain Bridge toll booth wasn't quite sure what we were doing out there either :D

Plan had to change when we reached the NCT bike path at the Ketchawan Preserve and found it a snowy ice rink. That should have been a nice 26 miles of car free route but instead a new road route back to the city was quickly planned.

Photos and GPS:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/23673733

My total for the day was 106miles. Everyone else I know probably managed 2 hour rides at most today.

Clearly I am stupid :thumbsup:
  • 01-31-2010
    skunkty14
    Nicely done. You weren't the only one in lycra & on a plastic bike: little over 3hrs in the woods on a carbon hardtail (!) today. Wonderful day to be on a bike.
  • 01-31-2010
    Silentfoe
    You called it. I did two hours today and none of it was outside.
  • 01-31-2010
    cruzthepug
    I did 15 minutes on the trainer today :D
  • 01-31-2010
    wilks
    You are nuts. 100 miles anytime is impressive but on a day like today is crazy. We started from lot c at 8 and my car thermometer said 9 degrees but our average speed was 5 mph! We managed 3 hrs. It was a pleasant 25 by the time we got done.
  • 01-31-2010
    Flyer
    That's great mileage, especially in such cold weather. This roadbiking business isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The trails are shot anyway so I'm taking it up too.
  • 02-01-2010
    moosehead
    whoa, 9 hrs sub 20 degrees? ur both nuts and the man. i can't even sleep for that long, and definitely need to HTFU.
  • 02-01-2010
    6thElement
    Riding in those temps was fine, just keeping liquid not ice blocks in the bottles is the only issue. Although getting one bottled filled with hot water at a rest stop then having it in my rear middle jersey acting like a hot water bottle was great :cool:
  • 02-01-2010
    Tidybeard
    I don't know whether to be proud of your Britishness or terrified by the sheer lycraishness of it all.

• 02-01-2010
    rmac
    Too cold for too long - especially on the high speeds of the road bike. 2 hours (with chem warmers) is about it for me at low speeds. More powa to ya... :thumbsup:
  • 02-01-2010
    KRob
    Nice work John....... for a lycra clad roadie.;) Is that the new Turner carbon road bike Dave's been secretly working on?

Speaking of the strange looks from the waitress and toll booth lady, I actually got pulled over by a security guy while riding through an active mining district (on a county road) one morning a few weeks back in zero degrees F weather.

"It's a little cold to be riding, isn't it?" he says, while giving me the suspicious stink-eye look. I mean who in there right mind would be out in this weather just to ride, right? I must be here to steal your gold dust. :rolleyes:
  • 02-20-2010
    6thElement
    Continuing my century a month challenge, it nudged into the 40's today, 100 miles, 2 months done, 10 to go. :eek:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25143299
  • 02-20-2010
    xcguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Continuing my century a month challenge, it nudged into the 40's today, 100 miles, 2 months done, 10 to go. :eek:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25143299

So, 100 miles on a road bike is, what, 20 on a mountain bike? Only less climbing? Clue me in. :D
  • 02-20-2010
    Silentfoe
    Admirable. I'll be lucky if it isn't snowing tomorrow for my attempt.