Warmer bike shoes?

Printable View

• 11-26-2008
    Maida7
    Warmer bike shoes?
    Does anybody have experience with cycling shoes that are made for cold winter weather? Currently I use my summer shoes with the bootie covers and any ride below 30 degrees and my feet are like blocks of ice. There must be a better way. So whats available in a winter boot type cycling shoe. Stiff for pedaling, SPD compatible and most importantly warm? What do you recommend?
  • 11-26-2008
    cartecs3
    Was looking for similar info and found this thread from last week..

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=winter+shoes
  • 11-26-2008
    Maida7
    Thanks that was just the info I was looking for. It seams like the Lake shoes are the only ones that will truly keep you warm without extra foot warming gadgets. I'm think I will go with those and hope they have worked out all the quality control issues with the seams busting.

What did you end up with?
  • 11-26-2008
    InvictaS1
    Sidi and Pearl Izumi also make winter SPD shoes.
  • 11-26-2008
    Maida7
    I've heard that the sidi shoes are not very warm. The Pearl Irumi are very new and there is not much info about them but they look warm. Anybody have some first hand experience with these shoes?

The Lakes have been around for a while and are know as a warm shoe.
  • 11-26-2008
    Shayne
    Sidi...
    Sidi shoes are plenty warm. This mornings commute was 15F, and in regular cycling socks I just started to notice my toes getting cold 1 hour into my 1:10 ride. (As an aside, had I known it was going to be that chilly I would have worn wool socks, forcast was for mid 20's)
    I've got the last generation of their winter shoe, not the current GoreTex model.
    Plus I like the fit of Sidis far better than Lake, but that is obviously very personal.

Shimano also makes a nice cold weather shoe.
  • 11-26-2008
    Maida7
    A few others have commented that the sidi's are not so warm. Obviously a diferance of opinion. They are quite expensive. My normal summer shoes are sidi and the have been very durable and fit like a glove. Maybe they are worth the extra money. I just don't want to spend 300.00 on a pair of shoes and still have cold feet.

What model is the shimano winter shoe? I could not find it on thier website or in the MTBR reviews.
  • 11-26-2008
    MendonCycleSmith
    I have a few friends that used the Sidis, hated them, (in terms of warmth) Moved to the Lakes, been toasty and gripe free ever since. Lake now offers them in a standard (kinda narrow) and wide, FYI:thumbsup:

Love mine too, BTW.
  • 11-27-2008
    cartecs3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maida7
    Thanks that was just the info I was looking for. It seams like the Lake shoes are the only ones that will truly keep you warm without extra foot warming gadgets. I'm think I will go with those and hope they have worked out all the quality control issues with the seams busting.

What did you end up with?

Still "researching".. I'm leaning towards the Lakes though.. seem to be pretty popular with people that ride in much colder conditions than me.
  • 11-27-2008
    pursuiter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Based on recomendations on the Commuter Forum, I ordered a pair of the Shimano winter shoes:

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=7546
  • 11-27-2008
    Nat
    I have Answer Kashmirs. They're plenty warm.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...60_144crx.aspx
  • 11-27-2008
    gmcttr
    I have the wide Lake MXZ-302-X. My advice on the Lakes is to get the wide width (unless you have a very narrow foot) and size up to allow for heavy socks.

I tend to have a hard time keeping my feet warm and will use neoprene overboots when the temps get down in the mid to low 20's F.
  • 11-27-2008
    tedsti
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat
    I have Answer Kashmirs. They're plenty warm.

There is about a 30 degree comfort delta between the Answer Kashmirs and the Lakes. The Lakes are much warmer. The velcro on the Kashmirs also gives out after a season or so. The Kashmirs do not cut it in a Minnesota winter.
  • 11-27-2008
    Nat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tedsti
    There is about a 30 degree comfort delta between the Answer Kashmirs and the Lakes. The Lakes are much warmer. The velcro on the Kashmirs also gives out after a season or so. The Kashmirs do not cut it in a Minnesota winter.

The choice becomes fairly obvious then:

Move out of Minnesota!

Haw haw haw!
  • 11-27-2008
    dan0
    my lakes are going on their 5th season this year, check around you can usually find 1 or 2 seasons ago versions for cheap
  • 11-27-2008
    markf
    just bought the pearl's and thus far they're very very warm. awesome "bootie in a shell" type construction.
  • 11-28-2008
    Ricko
    I'm on my 5th or 6 season on my Lake MXZ 300 boots and they're holding up well. Like others above say, go a size larger and wider width to allow for thicker socks, snug fit is the LAST thing you want. Sock choice is also a huge factor, my favorite so far have been "Smartwool" that I picked up at Cabelas.

Below 20deg or so (I'm up near Chicago) I switch to flat pedals and wear my Wolverine 8" winter boots with 1000G Thinsulate, there's also 600G which has less insulation and might be a little more appropriate with the milder temps down in your neck of the woods. The Wolverines are relatively light and not so bulky so you don't feel like you're trying to pedal around in some kinda' Frankenstein boots.

Link to the Wolverine boots: http://www.workbootsusa.com/wobigskywaco.html

It also seems the constant pressure on the soles of your feet reduces circulation and causes your toes to get cold. I step off sometimes and hike a while and it helps get the circulation going and my feet warm up pretty quick.
  • 11-28-2008
    pahearn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Based on recomendations on the Commuter Forum, I ordered a pair of the Shimano winter shoes:

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=7546

I have a pair as well and they're good for the price so long as you order a size up so that you can fit really thick and/or multi-layer socks. The shoes themselves aren't really insulated, just non-vented.
  • 11-28-2008
    Sasquatch
    The old style Lakes, the 300 model was a good shoe that was well built. The newer models suffer from serious quality control issues. I know about ten guys with the newer models, and all but one had the heal seam failure issue. More recently, I've seen 3 boas snap. I would avoid the Lake shoes.
  • 11-28-2008
    limba
    Doesn't Sidi have heated insoles that you plug in and charge to heat up?
  • 11-28-2008
    dan0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by limba
    Doesn't Sidi have heated insoles that you plug in and charge to heat up?

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSD_207000.html
  • 11-29-2008
    GRAVELBIKE
    Which booties fit over Sidi Dominators?