Wanted: Helmet to fit small, oval head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wanted: Helmet to fit small, oval head

I have decided I am fed up with my lower end Giro bike helmet after wearing it for a 55 mile charity ride today.

My current helmet is definitely round inside, and my head is not. I get a sweet dent on my forehead, even when I wear a headband under it.

Anybody have ideas on a good helmet I could wear for both mtn. and road biking and is more of an oval shape for my melon?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've run into the same problem - Fox and TLD seem to fit my head better.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I will definitely check those out!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an oval head also and found that the Giro helmets were too round and uncomfortable. I found the perfect fit with Specialized helmets. They are definitly made for oval heads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm not a woman, but I too have a very small oval head and so have a hard time finding helmets. I've been known to wear large kids ski helmets. I was almost ready to suck up the cost and buy a TLD, but even that was not as narrow as I could use. I had several friends who recommended something else. I took a bit of a chance and ordered a small 661 Evolution. It fits like a glove. You can even buy a XS. I like the security of the moto style D-ring and the fact that it actually has light pressure on my cheeks because that is so key for staying in place during a hard impact to the front or side. I did break the little clip that adjusts the visor the first time I tried to adjust it, but that's not too big of a deal if everything else works out great. I will call them for a replacement on Monday A piece of good double stick tape will work in the meantime.

I'll give a full report after the coming trip to Whistler, but initial impression is good, and my wife approves of the look.

mtbr member
    Well, the trigger has been pulled. I ordered a Bell Sweep last night. The Bell I tried on at one of the LBS fit a lot better, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get it soon.

Thanks for all the feedback!

mtbr member

Good job!

Update: I have been on 4 rides in the new lid, and it fits great! No pressure points or anything.

Love it!

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnchick
    Update: I have been on 4 rides in the new lid, and it fits great! No pressure points or anything.
    Woo hoo! I've been looking at getting a new helmet too and I've got a medium, oval head. The Sweep and Volt were the front runners, now to decide if the price difference is worth it (being prone to migraines, more vents = fewer headaches).
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Members who have read this thread: 0