Wanted - helmet with built-in LED taillight- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Wanted - helmet with built-in LED taillight

A product that I would like to see is a helment with a built in LED taillight on the back.

Of course the helmet would also have to accept helmet mounted headlights.

That way I could just wear a different helmet for night riding, and I would not have to remove and add lights to my bike.

I suppose it would not be too difficult to attach a LED taillight to a helmet, but a helmet designed with the light built in would be lighter.

old_dude

Feb 2005
    The Metro by Bell has a tail light as an option

Gravity Rides Everything
    i want a helmet with a built in bilge pump for forehead sweat

Mar 2004
    There small tailights that run off of watch button batteries that will attach to most helmets.

As for a front light, are you thinking a blinker or a power HID setup? Cateye makes a silver blinker that has a rubber strap mount that fit can be helmet mounted. All the major HID brands have a helmet mount of some sort.

So it's all readily avail.

Apr 2005

LED helmet lighting

Check out the B&M topfire lightset. A helmet mounted led system, its sweet. Ive used one for a few years and its still going strong.

heres a ti thoug, dont use the lame dual sided tape toi attacht the lights: i used silicon jel bathtub sealant stuff.

Phill

Jan 2004

I like it but...

Quote Originally Posted by Palomino
    Check out the B&M topfire lightset. A helmet mounted led system, its sweet. Ive used one for a few years and its still going strong.

heres a ti thoug, dont use the lame dual sided tape toi attacht the lights: i used silicon jel bathtub sealant stuff.

Phill
    Those things are cool. Only 18 grams with battery. Neat. I like it.

However, I have run into a snag.

I use the same lighting solution on all our family bikes, and I realized that if one of my kids goes off without a helmet, he won't have any lights or reflector, if he comes back at night.

We live in the country and ride on 50mph roads where people speed at 60mph. No lights and no refector would be a recipe for disaster.

So, I settled on the Planet Bike BR-3H, which is a helmet mountable taillight, weighing 50 grams with battery.

I removed the default helmet mount brackets and mounted one of these on everyone's seatpost, using the seatpost mounting brackets. They are less than half the weight of the Vistalite Super Nebula 5 taillights that they replaced. So, I got my weight savings.

They double as refectors to satisfy the law, and ensure the kids have a light/reflector, if they forget their helmets.

I also put some refelective tape on all the seatstays.

For front lights, I use Tikka Plus headlamps mounted on our helmets. They provide adequate light for riding at moderate speed on the road, and provide a good see-me light.

In addition, I have been experimenting with a Princeton Tec EOS. It has a regulated 1 watt luxeon LED, running on 3 AAA batteries. The beam pattern is a very focused spotlight. It is very good for seeing the road further ahead and for looking around.

I mounted both lights on my helmet to compare, but ended up leaving both on and using both together. The EOS is used mostly as a "highbeam" light since it has shorter battery life. The EOS is off most of the time, but I turn it on when I want more light.

I am still trying to decide if it is worth buying an EOS for the rest of the family.

old_dude

Jan 2004

Ignore this duplicate post

strange duplicate post
    Last edited by old_dude; 04-29-2005 at 09:41 AM.