Want your opinion on my cycling-shorts-inspired underwear invention- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Want your opinion on my cycling-shorts-inspired underwear invention

Let me know what you think of the following invention:

Underwear for every day use that has silicone grippers on the inside to prevent it from riding up/bunching/wedging.

I've actually refined the prototype and it works for boxer shorts and boxer briefs.

Backstory:

I used to be plagued by bunchy boxers. Once I got into MTB, I bought some Pearl Izumi cycling shorts and noticed that they had silicone grippers around the thigh, and the things didn't bunch up. I applied something similar to my boxers, and voila - solved my bunching problems.

Right now I'm trying to decide if this is something I should pursue, possibly as a serious business venture.

So - does this idea resonate with any other MTBers out there? Or am I just a lone nut with silicone all over my underpants?
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    If you buy knit boxer briefs they should stay put.

The problem with gripper elastic is that it reduces the size pool of who can actually wear your item substantially. If one's thighs are not the appropriate circumference you'll either get the sausage effect ( ask any female biker about this) or the loose leg anyway effect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I don't think I explained my idea clearly.

It's not an elastic band around the thighs; it is small, individual patches of silicone attached in a diamond pattern throughout the inside of the shorts. The tackiness of the grippers keeps the underwear in place so it doesn't bunch.

As for loose legs - this works with boxer shorts, the loosest underwear out there.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I don't think I explained my idea clearly.

It's not an elastic band around the thighs; it is small, individual patches of silicone attached in a diamond pattern throughout the inside of the shorts. The tackiness of the grippers keeps the underwear in place so it doesn't bunch.

As for loose legs - this works with boxer shorts, the loosest underwear out there.
    Bunchy boxers do suck that's why I'm more like formica in that dept. But, I say go for it. Crowd funding may be a good way to get going. You just need your little slice of that huge undergarment pie and your under way....

Godspeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to go for it.

I think Kickstarter is a great idea. But I hear you need a bit of a following first, if your campaign is going to succeed.

HangWell: Products

Don't worry, be happy!
    I not sure that it could be manufactured at a reasonable price point.
    You might look to women's undies for examples of what works... and I see zero gripper elastic in women's wear.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to go for it.

HangWell: Products
    yes, I saw your blog after I posted, looks like you've already started..so are you modifying product for re-sale? just curious..

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As I said above, my idea does NOT use elastic.

Silicone grippers are indeed found on various garments, from strapless bras to dresses.

My inspiration was my cycling shorts.

Osprey also uses a similar material as a decal on their Raptor packs.

It's an established technology, and I suspect it can be manufactured at reasonable cost, but that's still something I need to work out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    RipRoar:

Yeah I started that website a few months ago in anticipation of selling stuff, but that didn't start happening till the past week or so. Right now I'm still trying to determine if there's a market.

Right now I modify existing products for resale: "Your favorite brands without the bunch" is the goofy tag line.

It could go a couple of ways, though. The original plan was to launch a kickstarter to manufacture my own brand - assuming there's any interest. Still TBD.

mtbr member
    I've never had the problem of my underwear riding up/bunching/wedging.

B.Ike
    ^^x2.
    that being said you should see if there's a patent on something like this. watch some episode of shark tank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    ^^x2.
    that being said you should see if there's a patent on something like this. watch some episode of shark tank.
    Hahaha every time somebody hears about this idea they all mention shark tank. I've seen tons of episodes - but there are only two kinds of entrepreneurs who go on shark tank: chumps with no other options, and people in it for the media exposure.

No patents on it as far as I can tell. But patenting clothing is very hard to do.

mtbr member
    Hahaha every time somebody hears about this idea they all mention shark tank. I've seen tons of episodes - but there are only two kinds of entrepreneurs who go on shark tank: chumps with no other options, and people in it for the media exposure.

No patents on it as far as I can tell. But patenting clothing is very hard to do.
    The gripper idea on the inside of shorts already exists. So, if it's patentable, I guarantee that some one already has a patent.

Don't worry, be happy!

That is correct. You can trademark a lot of things on clothing but patents are difficult, in part due to having to define unique function and configurations.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    That is correct. You can trademark a lot of things on clothing but patents are difficult, in part due to having to define unique function and configurations.
    Not to mention larger companies just out-money you in courts anyhow. When your on a tight or No budget I think its best to establish your brand in the market place first, you'll get bogged down in the patent process and never even get off the ground.

Prior to March 2013 you could still get your patent under the "First Inventor To File" but O'bummer changed that to "First to File" system which is much tougher on low budget inventors. Documenting your invention etc before actually filing is long gone and you now need to become a patent expert or lay the coin down for some legal help, only to possibly have your patent ran over by a Mack Truck of a corporation that will just out money you in court.

Of coarse all said, it really depends on what the "thing" is your trying to protect....then make the decision on how to proceed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    You can't trademark features of a product. A trademark is a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The gripper idea on the inside of shorts already exists. So, if it's patentable, I guarantee that some one already has a patent.
    When you say "shorts" do you mean cycling shorts, shorts like short pants, or boxer shorts? I mentioned cycling shorts were my initial inspiration, so I'm aware of that application, but if this is already being done with every day underwear I'd definitely like to know about it.

mtbr member
    Cycling shorts. But, I guarantee that if its patentable, someone already has a patent for it and it won't matter what kind of shorts you want to put it on.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Book recommendation,
    The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing, available from
    Fashion Incubator