Viper 3 or Syncro 3?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Viper 3 or Syncro 3?

Been liking my Raptor 10 for a few years now but realizing that i don't need that much pack, but think the brand has it together for cycling.

So I'm looking at downsizing to either a Viper 3 or Syncro 3.

If anyone has direct comparisons/experience with both that would be great!

One major difference is the "suspended mesh back panel" of the Syncro vs either the Viper or Raptor. Is that a better design for cooling/circulation??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Been liking my Raptor 10 for a few years now but realizing that i don't need that much pack, but think the brand has it together for cycling.

So I'm looking at downsizing to either a Viper 3 or Syncro 3.

If anyone has direct comparisons/experience with both that would be great!

One major difference is the "suspended mesh back panel" of the Syncro vs either the Viper or Raptor. Is that a better design for cooling/circulation??

Thanks!
    Some people prefer the close to body fit of the Raptors and Vipers Airscape suspension vs the more ventilated back panel of the Syncros Airspeed suspension. I personally like the close to body fit but the trade off is a sweaty back some times. Thereís no right or wrong here but just options for personal preference.

My hydration packs that Iím currently using are the Zealot 15, Raptor 10, and Viper 3. Also testing the new Seral 7 and Savu 6 lumbar packs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    No experience on the Viper but I have used a lot of packs for riding, backpacking, hiking, etc. and fell in love with the suspended back style of the syncro years ago on my Osprey Exos backpacks. The breathability is unbeatable here in the AZ heat.

Recently added the Syncro 3 to my collection actually, and about the only downside I can come up with for it is that the one pocket it does have (other than the bladder area) is tiny. It couldn't even fit my rather chunky phone (Galaxy S9+.) Not an issue if I'm wearing shorts that actually have useful pockets, but that tends to be rare for me right now.

Of course, one could always just slide the phone into the same pocket that the bladder is in. Or if the trail isn't too chunky/bumpy, the stretchy stuff-it pocket is always an option.

For my needs, if I were to buy again I'd probably upsize to the Syncro 10. More space than I want for the rides I have in mind, but it doesn't seem like it would cause any issues if it were used without being fully stuffed.

Fwiw, I took it a step further for mmy daily ultra-toasty rides this summer and went with the Osprey Duro 1.5.

https://www.rei.com/product/111737/o...vest-15-liters

Enough water for my shorter rides (and I always carry a 24oz bottle on frame for backup anyway, which I have yet to need so far,) and the biggest thing for me is the front strap pockets. MUCH more convenient access to my phone to snap a pic, or reference a map. And of course insanely minimal compared to a traditional pack design.

Meanwhile, the Syncro 3 tends to be my go-to for short day hikes like Camelback or Squaw Peak here in Phoenix. Utterly fantastic for that purpose.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Yea heat management is almost impossible where I ride- but Iím trying! Yesterday was around 80 degrees and 90+% humidity
    SOP these days is rinsing the sweat off my bike after each ride🤣
    So Iím leaning towards one with more airflow/least contact, but the small pocket on the Syncro 3 might not handle my cell phone so maybe a 10...

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!