very famous biker who's helmet saved his/her life?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

very famous biker who's helmet saved his/her life?

Hi all,

I am looking for stories and want to concduct anm e-mail interview with a famous biker who has a lot to thank to his helmet. I want to interview this person for my blog http://www.101bike.com

First question: does anyone know of such a biker? And maybe the lead to get in touch with him/her?

I just started a Blog (www.101bike.com). The objective is to learn about bikes, the internet, blogging and conversations. I have set a timefram of 101 days to buy a great new bike. I want to cover a certain topic every week and next week I want to cover helmets.

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mathijs

The original "AS" of MTBR
    I'm famous in my own mind and have such a story.

The year was 1999 and the place was Plattekill Mountain, NY. I took a really nasty fall on an equally nasty trail. I was air-lifted to Albany Medical Center but, if not for my helmet, it would have been the Albany Morgue. I'm sure one or two people on this site will confirm my story.

You can PM me for an autograph and more info.

Jan 2006
    Ask any professional rider. There you go.

mtbr member
    especially most of the sponsered freeriders, if it weren't for their helmets they wouldn't be riding and/or even alive right now.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    The pro rider that immediately comes to mind is John (Johnny) Waddell.

https://www.santacruzmtb.com/riders/...?rider=waddell

mtbr member
    I'm not famous but one time I went over thebars down a sttep chute. the bike bounced behind me and landed with the front chain ring on my head Would have been real ugly with no helmet
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

I can't weld
    Armstrong & Ullrich famous enough for ya? They've both went through the rear windows of vehicles that have stopped suddenly with only minor cuts & scrapes. An interview might be a trick. I think Lance may have more free time right now.

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    wat actually happend to Johnny Wandell , i never got he whole story.

beer thief
    I think Pete Fagerlin is the guy you want to talk to.

beer thief
    More recent news about halfway down this link. An amazing recovery!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...5/nov18mtbnews

those are Rollercams...
    Davis Phinney went through the Mavic support car's window at I believe Fleche Wallone(sp?) when he rode for 7-11. I can't remember if he was wearing a helmet or not. A hairnet, maybe.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

www.derbyrims.com

priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Mathijs
    Hi all,

I am looking for stories and want to concduct anm e-mail interview with a famous biker who has a lot to thank to his helmet. I want to interview this person for my blog http://www.101bike.com

First question: does anyone know of such a biker? And maybe the lead to get in touch with him/her?

I just started a Blog (www.101bike.com). The objective is to learn about bikes, the internet, blogging and conversations. I have set a timefram of 101 days to buy a great new bike. I want to cover a certain topic every week and next week I want to cover helmets.

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks,

Mathijs
    On Troy's Loop near Fruita chasing a fast rider I did a no handed pile driver end over, head first on a large rock step down area of trail, heard a loud crunch, and pogoed off my head down to the side of the trail.

It happened so quick I had no time to put my hands up to break the landing.

Stunned, I tried moving very slowly and thinking my neck might be broken due to the weight of my near 200 pounds landing all on my neck, and that sickening crunch sound. Slowly I tried moving my feet and hands and finally moved my head side to side, relieved it was still working. I was in shock and sat for about 15 minutes before attempting to stand up. I was almost unable to walk due to banging my leg and foot pretty hard during the second bounce on those large rocks. Fortunatly I was able to ride without pain other than a little stiffness, but walking more than a few feet was difficult for a few days.

That sickening, neck vertabrae crushing sound, turned out to be my fairly new Bell helmet crushing in almost 3/4 inch dead center just above the center of my forehead.

It's important to get a new helmet every few years. The plastic foam continues to cure more solid over time and with the help of heat and sun we put them through.

That crushable helmet may have saved my life or at least prevented paralysis.

I like my helmet, and they make good shade and insulate a little on baking hot days.

There's no good reason not to wear a helmet when riding a bike, except of course if there's nothing of any value to protect under it.

- ray

WWYD?

How about this guy

No one has thought about the president. He's gotta be the MOST famous of mountain bikers, eh?

Here's his razzberry chin. I think he was wearing a helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    I'm not very famous but I played a famous guy on TV last fall.

In 1999 in the infamous "yard sale section" of the Mount Snow downhill course I was knocked out for 5 minutes. It was in pro qualifying and when I cleared the first section the crowd noise was deafening. Then I set up for the exit and that is the last thing I remember until I came to. From talking to friends who saw it the crowd went from screaming to dead quiet because I hit a tree with my head, went limp, fell 6-7 feet into a rock garden, bounced and layed completely motionless for 5 minutes. I failed all the usual questions (medic, what day is it? me Friday or saturday, one of my practice days. medic nope it's sunday your race day. me, ****! medic where are you? me, at the World Masters Championships in Bromont. medic, close, you're in Vermont. me, ****!) The helmet was trashed but other than a concusion and major headache/bodyache for the next two weeks I was fine.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Weird huh?

Curt Harnett

Canadian national champion sprint cyclist. Can you say Mirage' ProTec boys and girls!!

Good video of him hitting the velodrome and the ProTec just shattering!

I'll see if I can dig up a link.

Cheers,
    Mike

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    No one has thought about the president. He's gotta be the MOST famous of mountain bikers, eh?

Here's his razzberry chin. I think he was wearing a helmet
    I'm not convinced there wasn't more severe damage. Hmm, but he had those symptoms before the wreck, and he hasn't seemed to have recovered either.

WWYD?
    Well, he did pass out from eating a pretzel. You should have seen the shiner on the cheek. But he has worn a helmet every time there is a photo op.

Members who have read this thread: 0