Ventilated Body armor- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

Ventilated Body armor

Hey im injured at the moment with a broken collerbone and cant untill april . Now i have decided body armor is a must. But i pedal up all my trials aswell as down so is there anything that would protect neck / shoulder / back area that wouldnt be too sweaty . I was looking at the 661 pressure suit but i would die in it going up hill . I was looking at this
    chest protector and then some nee and elbow pads . Does anyone know any other stuff that would suit me ? Will have to be from this site

Glad to Be Alive
    all of them will still be hot, but some better than others. I sweat a lot so I chose the azonic

check it out
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Dec 2004
    Oh man i would die in that . A solid 1 hour 30 minute climb in that would kill me. I was thinking of something like this

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    ROCKGARDN Flak Jacket

Very similiar to the Azonic, but with some very key features that the Azonic doesn't have. Take a peak at the website you'll see what I mean.

Glad to Be Alive
    hey Red have you ever worn one?? I like the Azonic because it is mesh and breathes better.

Is that lycra for the "shirt" part seams that would be much hotter, but i wouldn't know
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Dec 2004
    these look good but again not exactly uphill freindly . Although if they fit in a pack........ do they fold up small?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by inspecter horse
    these look good but again not exactly uphill freindly . Although if they fit in a pack........ do they fold up small?
    nothing will be up hill friendly. I usually drape mine over the bars for the climb and put on for the decent. If you are pedaling up and down rolling hills then just wear the armour and nothing else. The Azonic doesn't fold up too small. just a wee bit smaller than a shirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The moto chest protectors will do a good job of keeping you from getting scratched up, but they'll only take one good impact before they're toast. If you already ride with a camelback, just pick up some armor that is designed for falling off your bicycle (not armor that is designed for deflecting dirt that's in the air) and lash it to your pack on the way up.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Dec 2004
    i ride with a mule so not much space . I think ill go with the moto thing because its the only thing that will work fo rme i think its better than nothing imo

Aug 2004
    i ride with a mule so not much space . I think ill go with the moto thing because its the only thing that will work fo rme i think its better than nothing imo
    You are so stubborn... the moto thing will not protect you from anythiing other than a rock getting deflected at your chest... So it will really not protect your shoulders or collarbone... I would highly suggest getting the rockgardn, if it is too hot just either drape it over your bars or tie it to your camelback. It will protect you 10 X more than the moto chest protector...

Dec 2004
    well i need something for long rolling rides useually very long almost xc like with lots of people so i cant keep stoppping to hold poeple up . In a perfect world i would buy both but not enough money
    Last edited by inspecter horse; 02-04-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    hey Red have you ever worn one?? I like the Azonic because it is mesh and breathes better.

Is that lycra for the "shirt" part seams that would be much hotter, but i wouldn't know
    Just the one I tried on at IB. It's nice don't get me wrong, but I felt like the mesh was kind of rough. Maybe I'm spoiled by wearing the softer "lycra" types. Anyhoo, wasn't trying to dis your choice or Azonic, just tossing out another option and my onw personal $.02.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Usually for any extended climbing/hiking I just wrap mine around my camelbak till I reach the top. Cool thing about the new Flak Jacket the arms are removable from the elbows down, so you can zip them up in the pak, rather than trying to find a way to keep the arms from flapping all around. I would never try climbing more than maybe 20-30 minutes in any full upper body armour, not in So.Cal summer climates.

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

that's kinda bull honky dude...

I ride mx & dh/fr...I've suffered through a mtn. bike related separated shoulder and numerous other injuries...a mx chest protector (a quality unit) in tandem with elbow guards and water pack is a far superior item than one of those winter coats with a few pads. They do far more than deflect rocks, they're breathable, light, inexpensive, can go under or over a jersey, are hard plastic (which keeps sharp pointy things out of your skin), most will have a deflection zone built into the shoulders whereas those other units are flush against your skin thereby increasing the chance of shoulder injury, most chest protectors will have removeable bicep guards, don't require special cleaning, and can double between mx & mtn. bike. I wouldn't be caught dead with a mtn. bike body armor on my dirtbike, too flimsy!
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

just get a

MX chest protector. Do your shopping and you'll end up with a dialed unit that's perfect, which you never need to remove...enjoy!
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If venting is what you want...nothing beats the new dainesse stuff...hands down the best venting jacket on the market........

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Just the one I tried on at IB. It's nice don't get me wrong, but I felt like the mesh was kind of rough. Maybe I'm spoiled by wearing the softer "lycra" types. Anyhoo, wasn't trying to dis your choice or Azonic, just tossing out another option and my onw personal $.02.

no dis red...i was asking if you rode with it because I had no idea. I have the old Azonic and need a new one I am looking at the new Azonic one right now

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    no dis red...i was asking if you rode with it because I had no idea. I have the old Azonic and need a new one I am looking at the new Azonic one right now
    None taken. I've never ridden with it on, just wore it for a bit that's all.

TNC
    noMAD man

Look at this MX stuff.

Hey im injured at the moment with a broken collerbone and cant untill april . Now i have decided body armor is a must. But i pedal up all my trials aswell as down so is there anything that would protect neck / shoulder / back area that wouldnt be too sweaty . I was looking at the 661 pressure suit but i would die in it going up hill . I was looking at this
    chest protector and then some nee and elbow pads . Does anyone know any other stuff that would suit me ? Will have to be from this site
    Yeah, I get somewhat hammered and/or railed on for promoting "some" MX style armor, but here it goes again. It's quite warm here in Texas a good part of the year, and we just can't wear that bike pressure suit style stuff because you're pedaling you a$$ off most of the time. I've looked at that 661 armor you mentioned, and I do agree it doesn't have decent protection compared to some MX types you can get. That 661 setup doesn't have any energy absortion qualities to it. There is some MX stuff that has foam or other material designed as standoffs and compression points for your body. This accomplishes two things. It keeps the armor off your body for cooling, but it also absorbs energy in impacts. Not many are designed this way, but there are a few higher-end MX ones that do. Here's a pic of an Answer Apex MX model that works quite well. The bicycle pressure suit models offer more protection that anything else, but a properly designed MX hard plastic armor setup is waaaaay better than no protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah, I get somewhat hammered and/or railed on for promoting "some" MX style armor, but here it goes again. It's quite warm here in Texas a good part of the year, and we just can't wear that bike pressure suit style stuff because you're pedaling you a$$ off most of the time. I've looked at that 661 armor you mentioned, and I do agree it doesn't have decent protection compared to some MX types you can get. That 661 setup doesn't have any energy absortion qualities to it. There is some MX stuff that has foam or other material designed as standoffs and compression points for your body. This accomplishes two things. It keeps the armor off your body for cooling, but it also absorbs energy in impacts. Not many are designed this way, but there are a few higher-end MX ones that do. Here's a pic of an Answer Apex MX model that works quite well. The bicycle pressure suit models offer more protection that anything else, but a properly designed MX hard plastic armor setup is waaaaay better than no protection.
    That's alright you just keep pushing your MX propaganda. I'm sure thousands of DH/FR riders worldwide are all wearing the crappy protective gear and your the only one who isn't. Yeah sure, whatever.

Anyhow, really I'm just giving you [email protected] If it works for you, that's all that matters. It all comes down to personal preference. Peace.

Nov 2004
    First off I would like to say that MX chest protectors will definitly take more than one hit. They easily l;asty a season and MX crashes can be worse than MTB. Second MX protectors main prupose is to fend off roost from other riders. They are still very quality units and would protect you fine. This is what I use-
    Chest Protecters
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man

You will be absorbed!

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    That's alright you just keep pushing your MX propaganda. I'm sure thousands of DH/FR riders worldwide are all wearing the crappy protective gear and your the only one who isn't. Yeah sure, whatever.

Anyhow, really I'm just giving you [email protected] If it works for you, that's all that matters. It all comes down to personal preference. Peace.
    Resitstance is futile. You are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...now repeat after me...MX armor is king, MX armor is king...that's better...now wake up.

mtbr member
    I love it when someone starts a forum asking questions then rejects the answers because he already knew what he thought the answer was. Like just fishing for someone to legitamize what they think.

There is a reason why bike riders wear bike specific protective equipment and MX riders wear their stuff. The manufacturers are not pulling these designs out of there ass.

If you wanna ride with MX gear because it doesn't have fabric, go ahead. I don't have much experience with the Bike chest protectors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my experience;
    MX Roost guard is the most ventilated/best airflow, Dainese (big mesh-but rips easily) would be next on my list, then 661 style.
    I went 2 years on with an Answer roost guard, crashing all the time (what's my name?) and did eventually break it across the collarbone (although that could've been from stuffing it into my gearbag all the time)-but for the price that I bought it for-plus, in my opinion offered better upper body protection than the flak jacket style-smokin value for the money.

Dec 2004
    well ijust thought there might be some stuff out there i didn know about sorry

mtbr member
    DAINESE SHUTTLE is uses mesh, definitely well ventilated.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    For heavy XC and light freeride I use the Bodyguard Airtex shirt from Bohn Armor. No chest protector, just elbows, forearms, shoulders, and back.

http://www.bohnarmor.com/search_resu...nt_ID=633Pm22C

It's held up to many crashes and weighs almost nothing. Only trouble is the back protector is skimpy, especially if you're tall: it's a lot better than nothing, but I might try to hack my MC back protector into it.

It's also a little too expensive for what it is. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else that works even 1/3 as well.

Dec 2004

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Resitstance is futile. You are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...now repeat after me...MX armor is king, MX armor is king...that's better...now wake up.
    I fell asleep at the first sentence