Vented helmet mount issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vented helmet mount issue

I am having issues with play where the camera mounts into the helmet strap. Instead of being a tight fit it has a bit of play in it...and when riding you can hear an audible "click" and the cameral move on rough sections and jumps.

Anyone else have this problem? or is this the way it is supposed to be? Not sure if defective or not but seems more play on one side then other.

thanks!
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

Tool
    What camera are you using? Contour, perhaps? They are known for not mounting very rigidly to the rails of the VholdR mounts. Simply use a rubber band or Velcro strap to eliminate the play between the camera and mount.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    It is a GoProHD. Not sure how I could use a rubber band to make the connection better...or velcro strap. The force on it is pretty hard when landing a jump or going through a rough section. I looks like the connection between the camera housing with the male connector should be tighter in the female connection on the helmet strap.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

Trail Ninja
    Using a regular XC/road style helmet isn't really great with the GoProHD and the vented helmet mount for mtn biking. I've tried it and hate it. It's also really a pain to dial in the right angle.

A) It gets hit by low hanging brush
    B) It's heavy and will possibly make your helmet move around on your head
    C) It's not gonna be pretty in a crash
    D) It makes your action look slower

I'd recommend mounting it elsewhere. The lower the better, as long as you get a decent angle. The handlebar mount is flimsy, but it gets a decent angle. It holds up to some decently fast rough trails... I was going over big rocks at 15 MPH on a hard tail and it survived on my stem. You can get a "rollbar" mount, to mount to you downtube to get a nice shot of your suspension fork in action or to your front suspension lowers for close to the ground (doggie cam) like angle. You can get a chest mount too.

With all 3 mounts, you can make one hell of a movie, especially if you take another camera along to mount in the trees. Just change up the position of the camera every so often: handlebar (on your seatpost pointing back) for fast smooth sections, chest for twisty or technical sections, downtube for fast rough sections, and in the trees for skill/trick sections. Using a single camera angle is sure to bore viewers for any kind of lengthy movie beyond 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 07-26-2010 at 12:20 AM.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    Using a regular XC/road style helmet isn't really great with the GoProHD and the vented helmet mount for mtn biking. I've tried it and hate it. It's also really a pain to dial in the right angle.

A) It gets hit by low hanging brush
    B) It's heavy and will possibly make your helmet move around on your head
    C) It's not gonna be pretty in a crash
    D) It makes your action look slower

I'd recommend mounting it elsewhere. The lower the better, as long as you get a decent angle. The handlebar mount is flimsy, but it gets a decent angle. It holds up to some decently fast rough trails... I was going over big rocks at 15 MPH on a hard tail and it survived on my stem. You can get a "rollbar" mount, to mount to you downtube to get a nice shot of your suspension fork in action or to your front suspension lowers for close to the ground (doggie cam) like angle. You can get a chest mount too.

With all 3 mounts, you can make one hell of a movie, especially if you take another camera along to mount in the trees. Just change up the position of the camera every so often: handlebar (on your seatpost pointing back) for fast smooth sections, chest for twisty or technical sections, downtube for fast rough sections, and in the trees for skill/trick sections. Using a single camera angle is sure to bore viewers for any kind of lengthy movie beyond 2 minutes.
    Agreed but

- handlebar mount is too shaky for anything but smooth trails
    - seatpost pointing back shows too much crotch/shorts if trails are remotely steep and you will be hanging the butt back (fisheye effect captures everything --- and I mean everything)

I'd like the see the rollbar mount you have in mind. I'm using the KW mount but its rather big and obstrusive - I'd like to see something smaller and something that fits different tube diameters

http://www.rhinopartsandperformance....opro-mount.htm
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Trail Ninja
    Hey LeeL, this is the one rollbar mount I had in mind for $40.

It's hard to find a direct link, but here's the instruction manual:
    http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/instr...unt_4-2010.pdf

Here's a video:
    http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/#eommount

Here's the product page (search RRLB):
    http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/order-gopro-hero.html

I uploaded a quick side by side edit comparison video of helmet (r5) vs handlebar (r4) riding the same section of trail:

(fixed)

The helmet mount is on a Fox Flux helmet tied really tight and the helmet secured tight on my head. Going roughly the same speed, maybe a little faster with the the helmet mount.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 07-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0