Using Road Shoes as MTB Shoes- Mtbr.com
    Huh?

Using Road Shoes as MTB Shoes

Hi,

I found a great deal for some road shoes online, but there's some obvious problems. Do road shoes and MTB mix well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Some of the pro XC guys wear road shoes. Depends on how much hiking you expect to do really and also cleat compatibility.

mtbr member
    no they dont mix well. if you ever need to walk on a trail you will be bumming. you need some tread and a recessed cleat... the reverse holds tho - mountain shoes are fine with road riding.

Huh?
    What is a recessed cleat (sorry, I'm rather new to the shoes game). The shoes I found were Specialized Pro Carbon. Would that make a difference?

Old man on a bike
    On a road shoe the cleat stands out from the sole of the shoe, on a mountain bike shoe it's recessed below/at the tread level. Unless you never plan on being out of your pedals while riding a mountain bike, go with a mountain shoe.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Huh?
    Thanks for that clarification, I understand it now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    An oversimplification is: you can walk well in mtb shoes and poorly in road shoes. I would say walking over rocky areas would be very difficult in road shoes. Mountain shoes typically have shoe tread on the bottom. Road shoes typically are completely slick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    Thanks for that clarification, I understand it now.
    The bottom of road shoes are generally flat and smooth. Mountain shoes typically have tread for hike-a-bike sections or other times off the bike and in the dirt. Today we had to cross some rocks in a fast moving stream - the rocks were probably submerged by about two inches. I'm pretty confident that, had I been wearing my road shoes (which are the same brand and model as my mountain bike shoes, only road specific) I'd have been riding down stream and over the five foot water fall on my face
    :wq

Huh?
    The sad thing is, on Craigslist, I had bought a pair of road shoes for 15 dollars not knowing the difference between MTB shoes and road shoes. Now when I walk, I can't help but notice the tread.

Ignorance was bliss.

Old man on a bike
    At least $15 is a minimal investment, and you can keep those for road riding, which isn't out of the question if you're serious about cycling. Next time research before you buy...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    If you bought Specialized pro carbons for $15, that's a screaming deal...on a road shoe.

I hated road shoes for not being able to walk in. But I started doing 3-4hr road rides. They offer more comfort on the bike for a longer duration and help transfer power better on long climbs.

They suck for walking.

On the trail, they will suck even more because you have hills to deal with. Also, when there are some challenging sections that you had to clip out for some reason, you can't just pedal on the pedals like mtn shoes with tread. You HAVE to be clipped in.

Just say "no."

Save them for your eventual road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been using road shoes for about a month now and I'm fine with them. I do minimal walking with them but it's doable. I just walk in them like I'm using...road shoes.

I tried something silly yesterday. I started applying shoe goo on the sole to maybe increase grip. Eventually, I'll buy some real mtb shoes.

Aug 2006
    If I had to hike a steep rocky section in my carbon soled road shoes it would be a disaster. I'd probably have to go barefoot.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    The sad thing is, on Craigslist, I had bought a pair of road shoes for 15 dollars not knowing the difference between MTB shoes and road shoes. Now when I walk, I can't help but notice the tread.

Ignorance was bliss.
    Take them to a cobbler, if you like the shoes enough. They can glue tread on the bottom. I've had tread replaced on MTB shoes before.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

I'm just messing with you
    It's enough of a problem just getting off the road bike and into a quickie mart for a slushie without slipping and falling. Can't imagine trying to walk off road with them on.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0