Use of Head Sock with Downhill Helmet?- Mtbr.com
    alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Use of Head Sock with Downhill Helmet?

Anyone use a head sock with their FF helmet? The kind used for tracking with your car, etc? Wonder if there are any cons in using one with a downhill helmet (besides the heat buildup).

I am between two sizes in a helmet brand where the shape of the crown fits my hit really well, so want to stay with the brand. The small is nice and snug around the crown, maybe a bit too snug as I felt I had to take it off after an hour. The medium is a tad bit easier to get into/out of, but the crown is just a smidge bigger, so was thinking of using my old Alpinestars head sock to make it more snug, which it does. Just wondering if anyone tried and any cons associated with it?

cheers

9 lives
    What is your concern about adding another layer under your helmet?

Some riders wear do-rags, or buffs under the helmet for different reasons

I wore a buff under my dh helmet for over a year (I lost my hair during chemo) and my helmet fit fine, didn't feel any tighter, the buff didn't interfere with vision and didn't move around

Give it a try especially if you already have the helmet and you don't wish to try a different brand (different brands do fit differently)
    My first dh helmet was a giro... it was a medium. My second was a TLD and was a medium as well but fit snugger. My preference between the 2 brands was the TLD. Just personal preference.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Kick Start My Heart
    I wear a do-rag type thing on my head to keep sweat out of my glasses on all my helmets, and fit them that way. No issues yet. If it makes more comfy, that's good. MIPS allows some rotation of helmet to head in impact - like a head sock or do rag, so I don't feel any issue there. Lastly helmet mfgs are big on warnings and liability, no warnings about this.
    Case closed!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thx for the replies guys. The helmet, while more snug at the crown with the head sock, the cheek pads were prone to slipping and wondered if that could compromise the helmet's safety. Think the cheek pads are intended to help keep the helmet in place during a crash. Maybe I'll just use a beanie that covers the crown and ears.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have you tried a couple other brands of helmets ?

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yup, sure did: POC, TLD, Fox, Giro, and AirCraft. TLD fit the best, just a tad large around the crown. I may try the Bell just for yucks though I'm pretty happy with the TLD.