Use a DVD camcrdr with helmet cam?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Use a DVD camcrdr with helmet cam?

Hi - wasn't sure which forum to ask this, but figured that DH/FRers (like me) are most likely to be interested in helmet cams. I just wanted to hear if anyone's tried using a DVD camcorder / lipstick helmet cam combination. I'm about to invest in my first digital camcorder setup, and was considering a Sony DVD201 cam with a Viosport helmet camera and LANC remote. My main concern is that the DVD camcorder may have issues with skipping while bike riding. Anyone try this with a DVD camcorder yet? Thanks in advance,
    -mtbhead

Feb 2004

No Poblem

The best way to do it is to put pading around your camcorder inside a Camelback or Backpack; put some t-shirts, towels, etc. to cushion the movment. The camcorde moving around is not a problem, it's just the sudden, abrupt, impacts that can cause it to skip, that's why you want to pad around it...If you understand where I'm coming from.

mtbr member

Mini-DV is the way to go...

From the reviews I have seen the DVD models do not have as good of picture quality (due to the compression method they use) and are expensive for what you get. Also, make sure the one you are looking at does have a LANC port. LANC port equipped cameras are getting hard to find, I got a Sony TRV-22 recently to go with my helmet cam and have been happy with it.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

Lone Wolf
    Jul 2003

Sony!

Most Sony's have the LANC port and some Cannons do too, But usually their higher end ones except for the super small ones. Deffinetly nice to have the LANC remote I bet. I'm still deciding if I want to go with a lipstick cam, or helmet mounted camera. Both have advantages and disadvantages so its tough to decide.

mtbr member

Check again...

LANC ports are not a common as you think anymore. Here is a good resource for camcorder features:

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/cameraList.php
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. The Sony DVD201 does have a LANC port, but they don't call it a LANC port anymore ("special remote" or something stupid like that). I've been in touch with the folks at Viosport, and they say that you can use their LANC remote with that model, but currently you have to manually turn the camera on first (and put it in VTR mode or something like that). The say that they will potentially have a new LANC remote that won't to even do that soon. The Sony has pretty good reviews, but doesn't sound as nice as some MiniDV cams in the same price range. Another camcorder that I'm now seriously considering is the Panasonic DV-GS200 - it doesn't have a LANC port, but it does come with it's own wired remote that can start/stop recording - I'm just not sure if it can start/stop recording while using the external video input (I plan to call Panasonic tomorrow to try to find out). Thanks again,
    -S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

helmet cam setup

Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead
    Hi - wasn't sure which forum to ask this, but figured that DH/FRers (like me) are most likely to be interested in helmet cams. I just wanted to hear if anyone's tried using a DVD camcorder / lipstick helmet cam combination. I'm about to invest in my first digital camcorder setup, and was considering a Sony DVD201 cam with a Viosport helmet camera and LANC remote. My main concern is that the DVD camcorder may have issues with skipping while bike riding. Anyone try this with a DVD camcorder yet? Thanks in advance,
    -mtbhead
    Ive got my viosport classic setup w/ wide angle lense, hooked up to a sony dcrtrv33(minidv)
    Ive got my camcorder in a case specifically designed to withstand impact, they are a bit weighty and take up a bit of room in the pack, but when your investing Gs of money itll pay off....It fits perfect in my camelback hawg. You can get the cases at most photo shops.
    I might not worry so much about the skipping(unless your riding a full rigid bike) tighten backpack straps securely and giver, but look into it, the guys at viosport are very friendly and helpful so givem a shout.
    Definitly opt for LANC/remote setup, it would be a hctib w/o it. good luck.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead
    -mtbhead
    I was in the same postion. I dont know if I should get a DVD camcorder or miniDV but it seems miniDV is still the way to go. I do like the DVD thing though but if the picture quality is going to be lower then the miniDV... I'll look more into it though too. I just need to make sure I can hook up a lipstick cam to it too.

Where's the chair lift?

... and if we just ... Camera / Viosport Cam set up! :)

Hey, All

I was in the same situation over the last 3 months.. I didnt know about the DVD cams vs. Mini DV.. I have a relative that works in the video production field (Telivison/NBC) and makes videos in the field and in studios, does editing etc.. He and others told me to go away from the DVD cams for a couple of more years. That they are not all they are cracked up to be rt. now.. You get better quality with a Mini DV. DVD cams do skip and like someone else said earlier the compression they use is different from MiniDv cams. Not sure how that will fease out when trying to edit on computers etc.

Also, if you want Pro quality cameras you can look at q 3 chip 3CCD camera from Panasonic. They produce a few 3 chip around $700.00+.. Other companies 3 chip cameras cost $2300.00+. I think My cousins Sony was around $4,000.00+ to use for his video shooting and the new IMac G5 series comp to do all the work.. Like the ones the guys from NWD and Kranked use to shoot their vids. Anyway, I ended up with a Sony DCR-HC40 w/ LANC from Crutchfield.com! They rock there!! No Tax, instant money off, free bag, and free shipping! Shipped out the next day! 3Day UPS No Charge. My Viosprt cam pack, should be here Friday 6/25. Viosport also makes a hydradtion pack witha special packing area for your MiniDV to fit into!! I got one of those too, to check out. You find it in there accessory area of Viosports website! Not to expensive.We are getting ready for a trip to Whistler the end of July. Should be rockin!! Well, thats what i found out in the 3 crazxy months of searching! The crew at Viosports is great!! Good luck on your choice!! Happy Filming and Happy Riding this summer season!! Always wear a helmet!

Ellsman1 (Aka Marzman1 old forum)
    04Dare/888R Werks

For Sale!! "Like NEW" Pair of custom built Intense Mag 30 rims front 20mm Ringle hub / Rear Chris King ISO Disc Ano Candy Red Hub with Fun Bolts conversion Black DT Swiss 14GA spokes! Use twice! No Scratches Immaculate! Need to pay for camera! LOL

Dec 2004
    If you intend on editing the footage and burning to dvd i would recommend miniDV. Thats what i use anyways.

not really a noob
    dont have a clue but i want a helmet cam
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    This thread is old.
    and now it is dead. again.
    have a good day.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra_Chronic
    If you intend on editing the footage and burning to dvd i would recommend miniDV. Thats what i use anyways.
    It's been over six months since the question was asked.

I would bet that he has already made his decision...

Dec 2004
    Ahh yeah,
    forgot to check date.
    hehe

mtbr member
    Yep, I decided a while back - so, since it's been resurrected, I'll give an update:
    Similar to Ellsman1, I ended up deciding on the Sony DCR-HC40 and a LANC remote switch, but I got the high-res lipstick cam from helmetcams.com. Everything works excellent. I took a good video of the Pro/Exp DH course at the National Champ race at Mammoth. If interested in seeing a very-compressed and shrunk-down version (original .avi was a couple Gig, and much better quality), you can see it at http://www.trailheadcyclery.com/welcome.html
    Click on "Mammoth DH Helmet cam"

Again, the quality of the orginal was a lot better...