Upper body armor preference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Upper body armor preference?

Tried the 661 Pressure Suit and Assault. Too bulky and hot. Considering the RockGardn Trailstar or the 661 Defender. Any opinions?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vlink12
    Tried the 661 Pressure Suit and Assault. Too bulky and hot. Considering the RockGardn Trailstar or the 661 Defender. Any opinions?
    Hi vlink12,

The Trailstar is wonderful! I got 15 days of use last summer at Northstar and loved it. I've also used it for shuttling this spring and appreciate how easy it is to put on and take off.

Good luck,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    I love my Trailstar

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I only wear it for DH, but Dainese is where it's at. I forget it's on.

Dirt Deviant
    I have the flak jacket by rockgardn. Nice suit, but prolly a bit much if you find the others to be too hot.

Oct 2008
    My Skeletools impact vest fits nicely under a large cycling top: http://www.skeletools.com/

Maybe not as much protection as the others but at least it easy to wear, so I actually wear it (when trying new FR stuff). For extra spine protection I put a 3mm thick sheet of hard plastic in my cameback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No upper body armor is preferred but when I wear something it is Race Face rally FR elbows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Made up my mind

Ordered the Trailstar. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got the Trailstar. It's very nice, but way too small. Looks like a quality-built product though. I will be sticking with the Assault for now.

Gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by vlink12
    I got the Trailstar. It's very nice, but way too small. Looks like a quality-built product though. I will be sticking with the Assault for now.
    Too small…What size shirt do you usually wear?
    I was thinking about ordering a RockGardn Trailstar.

mtbr member
    The newer model 661 assault is far better than the older ones. Hated the old, love the new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Body armor for AM surely you jest.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    Body armor for AM surely you jest.
    All mountain is a broad category.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I raced DH a solid six years,all over the country and many nationals,been to whistler,and only used armor sometimes, only on rare occasions do you need armor,I freeride without armor it frees you up and promotes confidence in most conditions.but honestly armor for AM is overkill,the wonderfull thing about AM bikes is the freedom and the ability to literally ride all terrain.put armor away let loose and enjoy the sensation of unclutered riding.much more liberating and satisfying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i guess it's different strokes for different folks. about a 18 months ago, i broke my neck on a low-speed endo. no armor would have helped, but it did make me look at the choices. i have been using forearm pads with excellent results (especialy against cholla). since i started riding at night, i find the upper body armor to be prudent, especially for rocky xc (my backyard). finally, i am the sole supporter for my family, so a little insurance gives peace of mind. my goal is not to thrash gnar, but to ride xc well into my eighties. riding with pro is no less liberating or satisfying. free your mind.

mtbr member
    put armor away let loose and enjoy the sensation of unclutered riding.much more liberating and satisfying.
    I guess you also do not wear your seat belt? Helmet? And you do not have life insurance for you wife and kids?

There is nothing liberating or satisfying in broken bones or back. Liberating and satisfying is living a long and healthy life. If you do not care about risk - good luck, you had it so far, and will still need it in oodles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Safety is something between your ears, not a plastic wrap or a plastic bowl on your head...

...never hurts to add it thou..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Guest
    Safety is something between your ears, not a plastic wrap or a plastic bowl on your head...
    They do work at different moments of time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    They do work at different moments of time.
    And that's why I add it when doing trail and the more demanding stuff

I'll rather look a li'll dorky before an accident than after.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    agreed. huge dork factor with the neck brace . the armor looks much cooler.

Ride and Smile

I'm not gonna get hurt is usually true but...

only on rare occasions do you need armor,
    Couldn't be more true, the trick is knowing ahead of time what occasions you need it.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I raced DH a solid six years,all over the country and many nationals,been to whistler,and only used armor sometimes, only on rare occasions do you need armor,I freeride without armor it frees you up and promotes confidence in most conditions.but honestly armor for AM is overkill,the wonderfull thing about AM bikes is the freedom and the ability to literally ride all terrain.put armor away let loose and enjoy the sensation of unclutered riding.much more liberating and satisfying.

For many of those races in said solid six years I would say that you were very lucky!!

To say that riding with out armor promotes confidence, and that only on rare occasions is armor needed is just irresponsible to say the least!

To use armor for AM riding I would say IS prudent when the rider feels that it is necessary or when trying a new difficult obstacle or pushing the limits.

If it wasn't for the $150 or so I have invested into armor I would have spent just this year alone $2000 plus in medical bills not to mention the time lost from work. For that kind of savings I will wear my gear and suffer a slight bit less liberation but more satisfaction in my riding because with the gear on I can now push things harder and faster and try new lines without having to worry nearly as much about being carried out on a stretcher.

neko no basu
    i think upper body armor is an overkill for AM.
    anyway, i have deuter attack backpack with integrated back protection.
    GT force && scott voltage

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It all depends on your definition of all mountain riding. I live and ride on the North Shore. Upper body armor is considered standard equipment.

mtbr member
    I really like the new 661 Pressure Suit w/removable spine. For AM riding, I usually just wear knees and elbows. But, for more aggro riding, especially involving steep drops and true DH runs, I will wear the pressure suit without the spine on hotter days, keeps things much cooler and I usually wear a camelback and use that as a buffer on the back instead of wearing the spine, but that is just me. Even though the pressure suit is a full suit, it is still well ventilated with much protection and can easily be worn on its own.
    Ride On!

Platforms For Life
    Do you wear the body armor over a shirt? or under your shirt.
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfrican
    Do you wear the body armor over a shirt? or under your shirt.
    Over a baselayer shirt if it is really cold, under a shirt for mild/moderate temps, on its own if really hot or don't wear one at all with knees and elbows instead if sweating heavily and can't tolerate wearing anything long sleeve.
    Ride On!

Platforms For Life
    I think I would wear it under one of those baggy long sleeve jerseys, so nobody knew I was wussing out and wearing body armor.
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

Members who have read this thread: 0