upper body armor?- Mtbr.com
    notabouttoseeyourlight

upper body armor?

I'm looking for recommendations for an upper body suit type thing that has some shoulder and back protection, as I'm beginning to ride a lot steeper trails and tumbling when I fall and injuring the aforementioned areas.

One thing to note, I am a little over 6'4" and I'm super skinny, I weigh about 175lbs and may be increasing up to 185-190 in the next few months.

Any recommendations for something that's got good lower back protection and will fit a tall skinny guy like myself?

pwn3rator
    661 pressure suit. i think konabiker has a brand new medium for sale...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    I'm looking for recommendations for an upper body suit type thing that has some shoulder and back protection, as I'm beginning to ride a lot steeper trails and tumbling when I fall and injuring the aforementioned areas.

One thing to note, I am a little over 6'4" and I'm super skinny, I weigh about 175lbs and may be increasing up to 185-190 in the next few months.

Any recommendations for something that's got good lower back protection and will fit a tall skinny guy like myself?

the new 06 rockgarden is gonna be amazingggg, i have the 05 and its soo nice
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Jun 2005
    I believe this is exactly what your looking for comes in XL for $79.95 http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=496

P.S if you scroll to the very bottom of the page theres a picture of the back.

-samurai

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    can't go wrong with Rockgardn, winner of MTBR's readers choice award three years and running. You can find last years Flak Jackets on closeout via mail order or you can wait a few days and order a fresh '06 hot of the grill with all the zesty fixin's.

Rockgardn

Oct 2004
    rockgarden is were its at. the 2006's are goin to be b!tchin

I like the Azonic stuff, as do many others. However, with your body type and size I would make sure to try any armor on before buying. Too big and floppy is no good (why I can't use a large Z-6).

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    661 pressure suit. i think konabiker has a brand new medium for sale...
    i'm 5'11' and 158 lbs, the 661 pressure suit sucks IMO...it just doesnt fit properly. when the torso is right, the arms are loose and too long. when the arms are ok, torso is too short and way too tight.

sold the 661, got a dainese safety jacket next instead. perfect fit. looks and feels a lot better. better ventilation too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 6'4" 185lbs. and found too many suggestions based on height - too many XXL / XL suits ended up super loose. I found the 05' L / XL RG Flack Jacket to fit the best. A large Azonic Z-6 fit ok but the material / mesh moves around quite a bit, a large 661 fit ok but the zipper is horrible.

don't move for trees
    is like the 661 pressure suit strong enough for doing some light dirt biking (i just got a bike) or would the more body armor style be better?

Absurd
    Dainese all the way. A whole differend ball park, that's all I have to say. I'm 6'0", the large fits me snug, I'd suggest an XL, for a 6'4" guy. You might get a pretty good price on www.ridesfo.com .

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    I like the Azonic stuff, as do many others. However, with your body type and size I would make sure to try any armor on before buying. Too big and floppy is no good (why I can't use a large Z-6).

Azonic Z-6...get large or XL...but try it on first they run a little big....great gear and very well vented
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with flavor!!
    To this day, rockgardn jackets are the only one I've yet to see have regular stitching issues. I've had 3 different jackets over the last 5 years and the 05 flak jacket is holding up the best. 661 stuff is easy to find/try on but tends to be kind of heavy. Plus everything I've owned from them falls apart. Dianese is by far the most comfortable but not so good on the protection. The padding is kind of thin and that mesh also gets ripped up and stretched fairly easily for how expensive it is. If I weren't doing full on DH all the time and money weren't an issue, I'd still reccomend it just because it's really comfy. If you plan on "using" it a lot, I'd go with the rockgardn.

Nov 2004
    My Mace Swat Jacket is super comfy, and cost $200 at my LBS.

Apr 2005
    i have the dianese preasure suit, i havent tried anything else but so far i love it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    im lookin for one too, cause i just had a realy bad crash on our DH course (yes, ill admit it, i am a lil scared to ride that section again)

so would this work or should i geta 661 Pressure suit

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bill
    i'm 5'11' and 158 lbs, the 661 pressure suit sucks IMO...it just doesnt fit properly. when the torso is right, the arms are loose and too long. when the arms are ok, torso is too short and way too tight.

sold the 661, got a dainese safety jacket next instead. perfect fit. looks and feels a lot better. better ventilation too.
    I like the pressure suit. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and it fits like it was custom made for me. I have to agree with you on the lack of ventilation. Oh, and the kidney belt slips under my beer gut after each run.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    im lookin for one too, cause i just had a realy bad crash on our DH course (yes, ill admit it, i am a lil scared to ride that section again)

so would this work or should i geta 661 Pressure suit
    That type of armor is essentially designed to protect against roost, not really good for hard impacts... You'd be better off w/ a pressure suit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    That type of armor is essentially designed to protect against roost, not really good for hard impacts... You'd be better off w/ a pressure suit.
    sorry if i sound ignorant, but what exactly is a roost
    also thanks

Jun 2004
    also thanks
    No prob.
    Roost is rocks/sticks/dirt clods kicked up from the course by other riders. More of a motocross or bmx concern than for DH riding....

notabouttoseeyourlight
    also thanks
    Thats a motocross chest protector, when you hit the gas on a dirt bike (out of any corner basically) you throw up a bunch of dirt behind you and included in that dirt can be rocks and other crap that you, the rider in back, doesn't want to get hit with, thats what that type of armor is for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok thanks, ill prolly get a pressure suit then

My arm hurts a little

Cool-blue Rhythm

Wow.. don't know what a roost is??

Hey did Rockgarden make Loops in the arms for your hands so they don't slide up!! I have a 04 Garden and will Never EVER!!!! Buy another one till they make that adjustment. On High Speed Crashes & I've had a few, the garden has shot up my arm and exposes my Elbows. (No Matter How Tight it is) It's not too big so I don't know what the Deal is. But props to the Garden that thing has saved my ass more than once.

Am going to get a Dainese It's in a league of it Own!! Breaths Easy Take's a impact like a mother!!!

SNOWRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    Wow.. don't know what a roost is??

Hey did Rockgarden make Loops in the arms for your hands so they don't slide up!! I have a 04 Garden and will Never EVER!!!! Buy another one till they make that adjustment. On High Speed Crashes & I've had a few, the garden has shot up my arm and exposes my Elbows. (No Matter How Tight it is) It's not too big so I don't know what the Deal is. But props to the Garden that thing has saved my ass more than once.

Am going to get a Dainese It's in a league of it Own!! Breaths Easy Take's a impact like a mother!!!
    another vote for the Rock Gardn I have the 05 and I am really liking it. Though I haven't crashed since I got it

my 05 flak jacket doesn't have thumb loops but I don't have any problem with the lower sleeves climbing up because they are not really sleeves at all ,but seperate lower arm/elbow gaurds that attach to the jacket and can be replaced or worn alone
    How cool is that?
    Last edited by Deweydude; 11-01-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Rockgardn check'em out, give them a call.

06 Flak Jacket

In FTF We Trust
    Vader-what size Pressure suit do you wear? I'm 5'10" 180 lbs and don't have any chance of trying on any armor before buying. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    I like the pressure suit. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and it fits like it was custom made for me. I have to agree with you on the lack of ventilation. Oh, and the kidney belt slips under my beer gut after each run.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    That type of armor is essentially designed to protect against roost, not really good for hard impacts...
    True. The other advantage of a solid front chest piece is to distribute the impact if you smack your chest on the handlebars. Prolly less of an issue on bicycles, but handy when you do a spontaneous and unplanned front fender inspection on your moto bike.

Not that I have ever done that. Nope.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Rockgardn check'em out, give them a call.

06 Flak Jacket

I have to give it up Red5, the '06 version looks a lot cooler with all that mesh. Think I might have to check out RG for next season...

Members who have read this thread: 0