Undies?!?! No way...- Mtbr.com
    Hi There!

No undies?!?! No way...

Iíve been tooling around on mountain bike trails for 20 something years with my undies under my inner liner under my baggies.

Now I just heard that Iím not supposed to wear undies??? Is that true?
    Last edited by TheGweed; 12-08-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    NTFTC

EAT MORE GRIME
    if you ain't getting saddle sores

you are doing it correctly

whatever you are doing

to your grundle
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I never wear undies if I have a liner on. Just more to bunch up and get hot!

mtbr member
    Well...if it ain't broke...

Hi There!
    Thanks people, Iím trying to find out whatís ďproperĒ.
    NTFTC

Cycologist
    It's proper not to.

But I got home from a ride a few weeks ago and stripped off my shorts to take a shower and discovered I'd forgotten to remove my underwear. Probably the first time I'd ridden with underwear under my shorts in the last 10 years.

But yeah, if it works for youÖ
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    the undies rule is particular to chamois. Even if the liner to your shorts is more mesh, if they have chamois, no undies.

With that said, I've worn tech boxer briefs plenty when riding. They have to have the seams in a spot that doesn't chafe, for sure. And usually, I ride with them if I'm wearing regular street clothes and not tech cycling clothes.

Hi There!
    So...when you people say Ďchamoisí your talking any of the cushiony stuff, not actual chamois material which I havenít seen in bike shorts in forever.
    NTFTC

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    Iíve been tooling around on mountain bike trails for 20 something years with my undies under my inner liner under my baggies.

Now I just heard that Iím not supposed to wear undies??? Is that true?
    I canít say that Iíve ever heard of anyone riding in panties, that just seems wierd???

V-Shaped Rut
    So...when you people say Ďchamoisí your talking any of the cushiony stuff, not actual chamois material which I havenít seen in bike shorts in forever.
    Yep, might be poly, not real chamois. Either way.

FWIW if I'm riding to the gym or around town IDGAF about what I'm wearing at all. Cotton boxer briefs, tech undies, jeans, board shorts. Doesn't matter.

If I'm gonna be out 2-12 hours though I will wear just padded bike shorts.

Like others have said, No saddle sores and comfy? You're doing it right.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, your ass is probably as hard as kevlar now, so if it works for you...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I canít say that Iíve ever heard of anyone riding in panties, that just seems wierd???
    It's rumored that Picard rides in a thong.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Yep, might be poly, not real chamois. Either way.
    Yeah, I've never seen a cycling "chamois" that's made from real chamois in the 20yrs I've been riding. They're all synthetic of one flavor or another. Some of the cheaper liner shorts use a fleecy panel, whereas the fancier shorts have a synthetic foam pad that's got different zones with different thicknesses and densities of padding. I have one pair of baggies that has a fleece panel sewn in, and I'll sometimes go commando in them when it's hot and my ride is shorter. Sometimes I've been known to wear synthetic boxer briefs underneath my baggies intentionally on a mtb ride (usually when it's been too long since I last did laundry, and I've been riding a lot).

If I'm riding for more than 4hrs, though, I have to stop fooling around with half measures, though. That seems to be the mark for me when I need to wear real cycling shorts with a nicer chamois. If much more than 4hrs, or a race, then chamois cream becomes a necessity to stave off saddle sores. That right there is the real reason for the "no undies with chamois" rule. The chamois on your shorts more or less provides an interface between the bike and your body that's actually designed around the concept of chamois cream. Undies + chamois cream just becomes a mess, and probably won't work the way it's supposed to, either.

If you're already wearing a liner short with a pad, then you might as well try it out minus the undies. You might find it a little more comfortable that way.

I try not to wear cotton stuff when I'm JRA in town. I used to, but wore holes in the @$$ of my cotton boxer briefs. The synthetic ones seem to hold up better. I'll wear the cotton stuff when I ride if it's what I'm wearing, but if I know I'll be riding when I get dressed, I'll put on the synthetic stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks people, Iím trying to find out whatís ďproperĒ.
    Wearing them outside the shorts is typically best practice. Or over the helmet. Either one works.

Hi There!
    Tried with just the liner today for a quick lap around my local trail...not bad. Did feel less bunched up down there. I used my backup to my backup liner that I bought from a bargain bin in Spain for testing.
    NTFTC

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I always wear boxer briefs under my chamois and never have an issue with comfort and it seems to help the chamois last longer. Who cares what is proper? If temps get above 100F and I'm still dumb enough to ride then I'll ditch the panti err I mean briefs....

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    ...Or over the helmet. Either one works.
    like an eye patch?