Undershorts and leggings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Undershorts and leggings

Hello!

I've had no experience with cycle clothing before, but chafing in the crotch area have forced me to start looking. There are two problems. Firstly, I commute in jeans and normal cotton underwear, which I understand is a big no-no. Secondly, the top tube of my commuter is slightly too long, but I'm hoping the chafing will disappear with bike undershorts. My commute is 12 miles round so the seat misplacement will be no issue once the chafing is gone.

My first question is whether bike undershorts with a gel insert can be used under jeans? I've been looking at this one in particular (Lusso Coolmax Pro X Shorts | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com)

Secondly, with winter coming up, I've seen leggings/tights for sale (Canterbury Cold Legging | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com). I assume the undershorts in the previous link must be worn under these?

Also, can the undershorts can be worn as the only layer during training on dry, warm days or is this "improper"?

Many thanks!

Phil

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What you linked to are biking shorts (not undershorts) and can be worn under other clothing or alone. They also make padded liner shorts which are only worn under other clothing. I would pass on "gel" padding and stay with a foam pad.

You are correct that padded bike shorts of any type are always worn as the first layer against your skin.

Personally, I would not find wearing the biking shorts all day at work comfortable and would need to change clothing while there..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    What you linked to are biking shorts (not undershorts) and can be worn under other clothing or alone. They also make padded liner shorts which are only worn under other clothing. I would pass on "gel" padding and stay with a foam pad.

You are correct that padded bike shorts of any type are always worn as the first layer against your skin.

Personally, I would not find wearing the biking shorts all day at work comfortable and would need to change clothing while there..
    Thanks for your input. I can see how bike shorts would be quite uncomfortable during the day, but the chafing is a real issue at the moment. Are the padded liner shorts suitable to be worn under jeans for longer periods of time (school lasts from 8 to 4 the latest) unlike bike shorts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The liners are generally not as tight as the lycra shorts, but you still have that "wearing a diaper" feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am new as well and need to pick up undershorts as well, can someone recommend some shorts and where I can purchase them at?
    also what material should they be made of?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will be buying my first pair at Chainreactioncycles. If all goes well I'll then be ordering more pairs and some leggings for the winter. Depending on how comfortable I feel in them I'll decide what to do next.

Thanks for all the guidance!

mtbr member
    Wear your bike shorts for the ride, change them to your underwear when you get to work/school/whatever and then change back for the ride home.

I assume that you will have a bag to carry other stuff in (books, etc) so it should not be an issue.

addicted
    I would recommend going to you LBS to purchase shorts. Especially lycra due to the sizing differences that can show up between brands. At least until you know what fits and what doesn't. Not to mention that it's easier to know what you're looking for when you can touch and feel a product.