Under the Jersey Protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wink Under the Jersey Protection

I am looking for a under the jersey body protection to help protect my chest, rib and back area. After a recent broken rib injury, I am looking for body protection that I can wear comfortably under a mountain bike jersey such as the Fox Racing HC Jersey or Fox 360 Jersey. I am looking into: the Fox Racing Titan Sport sub frame and the Fox Racing Titan Race Frame. I do not do extreme downhill jumps so the hardcore pressure suits are not needed plus I would like to keep a budget of under $100. There are also a handful of under the jersey style protection located on this link Dirt Bike Motocross Under Protectors Protection Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore Mainly used for motocross but I think it will do the job for trail riding. Please let me know what you think or have experience wearing any of these type of body protection gear. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you - don't really think full body armour is going to suit my riding, but after a recent shoulder injury I'm looking for something to provide a bit more protection than just my skin!

I've been looking at this sort of thing, but that particular one doesn't seem to have any clavicle/top of shoulder protection, so not really suitable.

Also thinking about a rugby style top, like this.

Anyone got any views on these? Are they just likely to be hot, and not actually provide much protection? Are they better than nothing at all?

mtbr member

I use the SixSixOne Subgear

I use one of those bloodpuddle pointed to; The 661 subgear...

It doesn't have anything to help ncruz408's ribs or back... shoulders, chest and arms yes. I gave it a test about a month ago I'm about half way through my recovery from a compressed shoulder injury.

I don't know if any armor would help with the compressed shoulder injury (?)... but I can say that I was impressed with what it did do.

I went down HARD in the gravel... NASTY gravel on a dirt road... You've seen it. It was that really sharp kind that's 1" ~ 2" in diameter you usually see as a base under the pavement! I was literally cut up everywhere that wasn't padded. The palms of my gloves were even torn...

My jersey over the subgear was messed up a bit (elbows and shoulder area) but that's it. Not a scratch above the waist on me... camelbak protected my back, 661 subgear protected my chest, shoulders and arms... Not even a bruise... a month later and I almost have full movement on my right arm... But I'm told that was from the compression force... I don't know if there's protection you can get to protect you from that type of fall where my arm was jammed back into my shoulder... but I know that gravel would have really really hurt if I didn't have it on

p.s. I was also wearing knee pads, ankle protection and bomber (padded) pants... so I guess I picked a good day to fall

mtbr member

ouch!

@Dave - sounds like you were both lucky and unlucky all at the same time. Did your shoulder actually hit the ground, or was the injury from your arm hitting the ground and putting pressure up on the shoulder?

I'm trying to figure out whether that 661 top does actually provide some collarbone / top of shoulder protection. I can't tell properly from the photo and can't seem to get any info on 661's site. Can you shed any light on that?

My injury is an AC separation, which means my collarbone no longer meets up nicely with my shoulder, and I'm looking for something to protect me pretty much from the start of my collarbone to my shoulder (not just on the rounded bit where the shoulder becomes the arm).

mtbr member
    It happened so fast it was hard to tell exactly... I think I hit my hands, knee, hip, arms/elbows, shoulder, head in that order... and then I kind of rolled and spun...

The contour was rolling but you couldn't see any of my body parts hitting the ground! So who knows for sure... Anyway...

So yeah, everything hit the ground, including the shoulder But the injury was really from when somehow the force from my hand, forearm, elbow went into my shoulder... or at least that's what I was told as it happened too fast! All I remember for sure was thinking, oh crap... ouch... (ok, probably a few other words there too) and then thinking, maybe I should put some motrin in my camelbak for next time to get it working before I finish the ride...

This particular 661 covers only a small part of the top of the shoulder where the shoulder pad is mostly on the SIDE of the shoulder (in my case, that's actually where I needed it as I first hit going down to my side). If you wanted something more then that on TOP... I guess between your neck and to the edge of your shoulder... this isn't it.

mtbr member