Trying to narrow down some shoe options....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trying to narrow down some shoe options....

All about the same price so that's not a consideration.

I have a wide-ish foot. Not wide wide...but wide enough standard size cycling shoes don't work well for me.

I want STIFF (that's what she said). So carbon soles a must.

I'll be using these mostly for riding on my CX bike so I won't need to do much hike-a-bike.

Here's the shoes I've kinda whittled down to...but I'm certainly open to other options...

Sidi Dominator Mega - $250

Giro Code VR70 HV - $225

Shimano SH-XC70 wide - $270 but I can get them for less...just not sure the exact price but definitely less than $250.

Shimano SH-XC90 wide - $???, probably less than $300 but again...not sure exact price...just throwing it in there as a potential option depending on price.

Shimano SH-XC61 wide - $200 retail. Carbon sole but least stiff out of the Shimano shoes but not sure how stiff they actually are...I've not seen them in person.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    The Sidi's don't have a carbon sole, but they do fit quite nice.

mtbr member
    Yeah...guess you're right. I don't think I looked and just assumed that they did at that price point since most other shoes that much seem to have a carbon sole. Guess it's not a deal breaker as long as they are stiff enough. I wish I could get hands on a pair. Only shoes I can probably try before I buy would be the Shimanos. I have a pair of Giro so at least I'm pretty sure about the fit. Bike shops around here seem to forget that people wear cycling shoes on a bike and have really terrible stock...a couple shops just have a pile of random various shoes on the floor in a corner with no real thought behind it.

I did also find the SIDI BUVEL in an awesome orange color. Too bad though as it seems they aren't made in mega size or I'd probably jump on them base on looks alone...lol
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Checkout fi'zi:k

fi'zi:k MTB Shoes

I normally wear shoes made by Keen, which are known for their roomy toe box. The M5B UOMO is a very comfortable/durable shoe. I've been using them for about a year.

I recently switched to the Specialized 2FO Cliplite since it has a flat sole. The lugs on the M5B were preventing me from clipping in on my Time ATAC pedals if I was careless.

The 2FO was pretty tight at first. But after wearing them around the house for a day the shoe loosened up.

mtbr member
    I was checking those (Fizik) out but noticed they didn't come in a wide size and I didn't see any reviews where it said they fit a wider foot. I think they look pretty sweet but if you had problems clipping in to your ATACs....that's what I ride on too so that might be an issue I don't want to deal with. I don't race so maybe it's not a huge deal though.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the others but the Sidi's are very stiff, super comfortable, and have held up great for years despite the abuse I put them through. The only downside is that they're a bit heavy. I won't hesitate to buy another pair when I finally trash mine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. I do like the way they look. Not as sweet as the orange Sidi Buvels though, I'm considering having surgery to narrow my foot a bit so I can get a pair...lol...seriously though, I'm definitely leaning towards the Sidi since REI has them so I can try and return easily if they don't work out for me...and I have enough credit to buy them so no money out of my pocket!

And yeah...after looking and comparing some weights...you are right...they are a bit on the heavy side at over 700g but they are lighter than my Giro Privateer with are 800+.

mtbr member
    Typically carbon soled shoes are going to be the stiffest. I have a pair of the Dominator fit and they are not as stiff as the S-Works Trail I had. The SW soles were pretty much unbendable when trying to flex and twist the shoes with my hands. I got rid of the SW because they were as comfortable as a pair of wooden shoes.

Not sure if they have a wide shoe, but Northwave makes some pretty nice shoes too. I have a couple pairs (same mid $200 range) and the fit and quality of the shoes are real nice.

Sidis are sized slightly smaller. I had to go half size up from what I normally wear. I've read that Shimano's shoes are sized big...like the Converse All Star. I highly suggest trying them on if at all possible. A friend of mine bought a pair of Northwaves from Comp Cyclist. It took him three tries to find the right size. The two previous pairs were too small.

One last thing...if your feet are hard to fit...I'd sacrifice a bit of the sole stiffness for a better fit. At least for me...the shoes are probably the most important interface on the bike. If your shoes don't fit right...the ride will suck...no matter how much awesome your bike is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm definitely leaning towards the Sidi since REI has them so I can try and return easily if they don't work out for me...and I have enough credit to buy them so no money out of my pocket!
    Signup for an active junky account and you'll save an additional 6% when you order online from REI:
    REI Cash Back and Coupon Codes | Active Junky

Other online store that you can save at include JensonUSA, backcountry, Competitive Cyclist:
    Bike Gear Coupons, Deals & Cash Back | Active Junky

mtbr member
    Went with the Sidi Dominator mega. Got them from REI. I used my dividend plus a 20% discount and $12 back through Active Junky for a total of like $10 out of pocket. Ordered a size up because I read a lot of people saying this shoe was about 1/2 small. Only bad thing is they are pre-order through REI so it could be up to 30 days before I get them. Excited though...hope they are nice as everyone says but if not...at least they are from REI!

mtbr member
    Well...Sidi's might be off the table. At least from REI. They pushed the delivery date back from today to May 4. Not sure I want to wait that long and then maybe not even get them then. So I'm back on the hunt. Trying to stay around $200 since that's what I'll have if I get the refund from REI. I'm leaving the order open until I decide.

I have a widesh but not EE wide foot too and the Privateer HV fit pretty good with a thicker insole. Not a carbon soled shoe, but it gives me a good feeling about other Giro HV shoes as I assume they come from a common set of lasts.

mtbr member
    Yeah...I've been eyeing the Code VR70 HV or if I decide to really splurge...the Empire VR90 but they don't come in HV but maybe being lace up they'd allow enough room. I'd like to try them first or make sure I get them from someplace that has a decent return policy.

I just wonder if the Code VR70 HV is stiffer than the Privateer. I'm sure it is...the privateer is decently stiff but I'd like stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm sure it is...the privateer is decently stiff but I'd like stiffer.
    Wouldn't we all?

mtbr member
    I think they make some medication for that.