Troy Lee Helmet query- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Troy Lee Helmet query

Anyone using a Troy Lee SE MX helmet for downhill? are they much heavier than the d2? how's the ventilation?

DH Racing= $$$
    May 2007
    I'm actually looking myself at either the TLD Se or SE2 MX helmet to replace my Shoei Pastrana Helmet. I tried both the SE & SE2 on and the SE is alittle more narrower, because the nose piece is closer to my face which i'm not used too. But the venting on both is supposed to be superb... from what i've heard all the guys around here running them. I think they are both great helmets, i'm not one to go cheap on head/helmet protection.
    RockyMountainBikes/ KendaTires/ TroyLeeDesigns

mtbr member
    i'm not one to go cheap on head/helmet protection.[/QUOTE]

that gotta be the lamest excuse i ever heard for paying that much for a skid lid.

save yourself the money and buy a bellistic or remedy.

you could buy 3 or 4 bells and nearly 2 or 3 remedys for the price of one tld,yeah they nice but i have never seen the point of paying that much for something thats designed to break.

and before i get flamed,all mtb helmets pass the same tests.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    that gotta be the lamest excuse i ever heard for paying that much for a skid lid.

you could buy 3 or 4 bells and nearly 2 or 3 remedys for the price of one tld,yeah they nice but i have never seen the point of paying that much for something thats designed to break.

and before i get flamed,all mtb helmets pass the same tests.
    Because their Pritty!!! What do you care what people spend on a helmet anyway? Lame Excuse or not. I've run those helemts your talking about and they both pretty much suck balls. Well the Remedy is pretty good. My Bell was a piece of crap that didn't fit with any size. My 661 full bravo cracked and smashed my nose on a crash. TLD's feel like a dream. Like my friend said, "It's like putting your head in a vagina" The Comfort level for me in the TLD is off the chart.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member

True...to a point...

i'm not one to go cheap on head/helmet protection.

and before i get flamed,all mtb helmets pass the same tests.[/QUOTE]

The guys I ride with all wear Bellistics. And they are awesome helmets. Myself, I run a 661 MX helmet. Cost me a lot. My previous was a TLD D2. Why? I thought the D2 looked cool and I wanted the MX helmet for the extra protection.

If you do buy a MX helmet like the TLD, keep in mind that it is so much hotter and heavier than a MTB full face. However, everyone who has bought the TLD SE has raved about it, so I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

N* Bomber Crew
    A helmet can be a functional and fashionable thing, you should definitley spend the money to get a helmet that you like that fits your riding style. That should really go without saying.

I think paying the money to have extra details and better built helmet are worth it, whether it being TLD, a nice 661 etc. You need to FEEL safe with the helmet on to make it actually have a positive effect. Yes, helmets need to be certified, but I've come to find that higher quality helmets last longer, can often times take a better dish, and look better and have better details.

The TLD is expensive, but I think the extra protection should your riding style require it should be worth it. You should also check out a 661 Flight helmet, they're in the same league.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i'm not one to go cheap on head/helmet protection.

and before i get flamed,all mtb helmets pass the same tests.[/QUOTE]

You might want to try actually reading posts you respond to....

The SE is a DOT (among others) approved moto helmet, not a MTB helmet. BTW not all MTB helmets are tested, to or meet, the same standards either. There is a standard bicycle cpsc rating as well as well as a new, more stringent 'DH' helmet standard that came about last year.

To the O.P... I think you will find that the SE has good venting when compared to other moto helmets, but that is pretty minimal when compared to MTB full face helmets. I wear my SE when ever I ride either shuttle or lift accessed areas. That way I am taking it off on a regualar basis, and only have it on while actaully riding (generally fast). In this context, it has not bothered me as far as venting. However if this is something you are planning on using for DJ or somewhere with slower runs or some up and down, I think it might become a bit hot.

Bike Ninja |||
    The SE2 is where it's at. I have crashed very hard on normal mtb helmets (661 bravo carbon, vigor, azonic furys etc... used em all) and the protection pains in comparison to that of a DOT/Snell rated helmet.

I considered buying either the 661 flite hex helmet as well as the TLD SE2 and ended up paying the extra cash-money for the TLD. It's a higher quality helmet (exceeds both DOT and Snell standards more so then the 661) and also the composite shell is a bit better made, and IMO it feels a bit better on my melon.
    Plus it looks the bee's knees as well.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

May 2006
    I have one and I love it. See this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=298446

mtbr member
    i wouldn't mind the extra ventilation - i'm thinking the d2. plus, the blue flame carbon is f'in sweet lookin.

Members who have read this thread: 0