Troy Lee A1 Headliners Suck- Mtbr.com
    Nobody

Troy Lee A1 Headliners Suck

Am I the only one seeing this problem? I have owned a few of these helmets and I follow the gentle hand washing rules, yet my head liners just keep delaminating after a couple washes.

It's really annoying because these helmets fit me better than any I have ever owned, yet I'm sick of spending $30 every time I wash my helmet...

Any suggestions on similar fitting helmets?

Thanks
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I wash the headliners inside a garment pouch and that seems to help some in keeping them from delaminating. I recently switched to a Smith Forefront and found the fit to be similar to a A1 although it's not as 'deep' as the A1, but at least I don't get a waterfall of sweat on my face anymore.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    That thing looks like it is sewn together, is it actually glued?

Possibly you could take it to a laundry place and have them put some stitches in the failure points...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I've solved it with force - cut the front end (the one which keeps delaminating), and put Sweat Buster instead. Works like a charm.

TraxFactory,
    It's kinda hot-pressed glued, and the edges start to open after a few rides/wash repeats.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    That thing looks like it is sewn together, is it actually glued?

Possibly you could take it to a laundry place and have them put some stitches in the failure points...
    The entire backing is ultra thin microfiber panel that I guessing is glue bonded directly to the inner foam. That is what delaminates which means you no longer have a viable surface to mate with the Velcro pads. It's really annoying as I have had tons of other helmets brands without failures. This helmet just happens to fit really well and it's obvious there is a weakness in the manufacturing process.

It's not the edges that separate. It's the entire backing. I never put it in a machine. Only hand wash in the sink with warm dish soap and water. After it dries, it separates.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I wash the headliners inside a garment pouch and that seems to help some in keeping them from delaminating. I recently switched to a Smith Forefront and found the fit to be similar to a A1 although it's not as 'deep' as the A1, but at least I don't get a waterfall of sweat on my face anymore.
    +1 on the Smith. Similar fit. I have both and they're both great.

mtbr member
    Bump on this thread... I have a TLD A1 manufactured in 2015 and the headliner is coming apart at the glued seams despite careful washing.

I cannot find a replacement anywhere...they are simply not available anymore for 2015. I emailed TLD several times they kept pointing me to the new A1 headliners which are for 2017+ helmets

I don't think I would buy another TLD helmet if they can't even keep a decent stock of typical replacement parts for something that is bound to wear out. Too bad, cause I really like TLD stuff and my helmet is in great shape except for the f#$cking headliner.

This is what I have:

Name:  Unknown.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  6.1 KB

This is what TLD keeps trying to sell me:

Name:  Unknown2.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  5.0 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey,
    TLD guy here, apologies to anyone in this thread that had a less than optimal experience. We did revise the A1 headliner a couple of seasons ago, with refined construction and we removed some material to increase ventilation and comfort, the added wings in the middle were removed after testing showed the improved ventilation and fit.
    I was hearing some stock issues a year ago on those, but they have been in stock for a while...Wash and care instructions are hand wash, hang dry and we have seen some delaminating when washed in normal laundry, with other clothes, hot water, heat dry etc...
    This is the liner we sell now and is what comes in the A1 Drone and A1 classic MIPS.
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/a1-2-...tity=1&color=7

Any questions or comments, feel free to PM me, and I will get you sorted.

Craig Stikman Glaspell
    Global category director for BIKE at TLD