Tough Helmet Recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    I dig trails!

Tough Helmet Recommendations?

I did it again, crashed hard on a flat and straight trail (my modus operandi (sp?)) and slammed my head to the ground and cracked my helmet again. I always clear the technicals, but when it comes to straight and flat - I'm challenged.

So 3 years, 4 helmets. This is getting old. This last one lasted 6 months. My head has survived unscathed and the helmet is breaking as it is designed to do, but I am interested if anyone knows of any stronger helmets.

Requirements are well ventilated, strong and preferably a removable visor (road duty).

I have used: Bell Flux, Gyro Animas.

I'm posting to this forum as we all are familiar with inland California terrain and high temperatures.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mr. P

Aaron
    Nov 2004

Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I have used: Bell Flux, Gyro Animas.
    I think those helmets are good. A good helmet is supposed to crack when you crash. I don't think you'd want to wear one that doesn't.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeRiding
    I think those helmets are good. A good helmet is supposed to crack when you crash. I don't think you'd want to wear one that doesn't.
    Ditto,
    I've been using the Giro E2 for a few years now. Good ventilation. Taken some branch hits. I want it to crack instead of my head if that kind of crash happens. Jenson has 'em on sale not for $80 ish give or take.
    Whatever fits your noggin' best.
    Don't harsh my mello

I dig trails!
    I agree with both comments on crack = saved head. I just wonder if all the large vents dials down some structural strength. But then it is engineered to disperse the impact...

I think I might try the lower end of the scale (not too low) since they seem to be disposable items for me.

Thanks,

Mr. P

I am lost, I'm no guide

I 2nd the E2

I've gone from a Specialized M2, to a SC Chamelion, to a SC Heckler, but during that time, I've used the same E2. So that's roughly $6k in bikes and $100 in helmet...
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I agree with both comments on crack = saved head. I just wonder if all the large vents dials down some structural strength. But then it is engineered to disperse the impact...

I think I might try the lower end of the scale (not too low) since they seem to be disposable items for me.

Thanks,

Mr. P
    I think it's a design vs. price issue. There are multi-crash type helmets available, mostly in a full face or skate park design. In the $80-$150 range, they mostly seem to be double-impact types but mostly disposable.

A person once posed a qustion to me about why I should spend $200 for a good pair of bike shoes but scoff at spending $100 for a good helmet...

I've been averaging a helmet a year for the past 5 years.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Trail rider and racer
    I am not too sure if you can get them in the states but MET make a very durable and comfortable helmet.
    Trev!

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I am not too sure if you can get them in the states but MET make a very durable and comfortable helmet.
    Thank for the info guys, I think I am just pained on the "annual helmet monitary contribution plan", one last late question.

Will a black helmet really be/feel hotter? The "styrafoam" is a great insulator and the helmet top an inch from the scalp (skin for me, hair is a luxury ). Would it make a difference to be black?

These heat questions are based on keeping riding deeper into the heat, or suffering less.

Thanks,

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Be aware that they don't meet us safety standards and there's a small chance that your insurance company could see your use of that contributing to an injury and stopping payment on said injury...they've done much worse to people over things we'd consider trivial.

meow meow
    protec cyphon. multi impact helmet. tough like a skate lid but styled like a mtb helmet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    protec cyphon. multi impact helmet. tough like a skate lid but styled like a mtb helmet.
    No, it is not multi impact. Still a EPS liner. Crushes to absorb the impact and needs to be replaced.

They have a couple of other models that are multi impact, though.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No, it is not multi impact. Still a EPS liner. Crushes to absorb the impact and needs to be replaced.

They have a couple of other models that are multi impact, though.
    i stand corrected. they are pretty vague though on what it actually is. it does have an eps liner but it has a thicker shell. as far as mtb helmets go i think this is the closet to what the op was looking for.

Members who have read this thread: 0