Toes Going Numb?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Toes Going Numb?

Anybody have a problem on long rides with their toes/front of foot going numb on long rides? It happened to me years ago but I knew those shoes were slightly tight when I got them. I ditched them for a larger size and the problem went away. The problem is my “new” shoes don’t feel tight and are very adjustable. Even after the shoe's broke in the problem continues.

A recently got back into riding seriously a few months ago and right around the twelve mile mark this starts to become a problem. I am wearing a pair of SIDI Sierra’s w/Frog clipless pedals. The shoes feel fine, not tight, not under sized, and even have Velcro closures so I can adjust how tight they cinch down to for each ride. I have tried loosening them up to the point where they feel almost loose to be but the problem continues. Like I said, I am fairly sure I have the correct size shoe.

SIDI Sierra
    Sidi America Mountain

Anybody got any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a shoe problem? Shoe adjustment problem? Cleat placement on shoe problem? I currently have the cleat installed right about dead center on the shoe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    actualy your problem is'nt your shoes....its your seat! really! your runnin the wrong seat for your body type , and riding style. try one that has a larger cut out placed where you most often sit on your saddle.....ie if you are down low most of the time it should have the cut out to the front....more upright to the rear.... also even the perfect seat only does so much, remember to wiggel the tozies a bit every few miles keeps the blood flowin to them.... I spend about 8000 miles a year in the saddle... beleive me the right seat makes a World of difference!

mtbr member
    It could be a few things, from the shoe itself to cleat placement and, as FroggyBiker said, set-up.

I would recommend going to get a decent bike fit.

However, if you don't want to go that route, try some inserts. I have had good luck with the Specialized ones. They have what they call a metatarsal button in the front, which spreads the metatarsals, promoting blood flow to the toes and reducing nerve pinching. Made a world of difference to me.

If that does not work, cleat placement - could be different to previous setups, with different shoes/pedals/etc.

If anything else has changed, ie bike setup, then look at that too. But if you were previously alright as far as that goes, try inserts and cleat placement first.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe it's your socks. I have had the same problem (around the same distance) and I beleive the problem is a pair of cycling socks that restrict my toe movement. I don't wera those anymore obviously, but I became very particular about sock fit and havent really had a problem since. Oh, and if it matters, I wear some old-school SPD lace-up shoes with Time Atac cleats and pedals.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You might try the Specialized footbeds. Also, the position of you first metatarsal-phalyngeal joint (MTP - at the base of you big toe) relative to the pedal spindle has a lot to do with foot comfort. For many riders, positioning the MTP at least 1cm in front of the spindle markedly improves foot comfort.

Larry
    Last edited by lgh; 08-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    footbeds, cleat placement, and saddle(measure your sit-bones)
    I had this problem and cleat placement was the culprit for me

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I also had this problem when I started riding (right toe only), coincidentally I also wear SIDI shoes.

Before reading this thread I've always assumed that this was caused by the shoes and the problem went away when the shoes were eventually broken in. Though I could never figure out the why since the shoes fit perfectly from day one.

I don't get numb toes anymore but I have no idea what cured it since I've changed my bike's set up, parts and riding position so much already. Funny that one (or more) of the changes I've made had solved my numb toe problem without me even knowing about it.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I am trying to follow all of your advice.

I am riding a new bike but I’m in the process of switching my saddle back to a WTB SST-X that I rode for over ten years w/o problem. My Frog pedals will stay; I assume they are not the culprit because I’ve used them for over ten years. I did move the cleat placement on my SIDI shoes so they are now on the back holes. I will also start wiggling my toes once a mile.

I hope this goes away. I’m riding tonight so it won’t take long to know if this worked.

Thanks for all the help, trust me it is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    What toes are going numb for you guys? Im getting numb toes usually only on my right foot, and the outer toes. My big toe and second toe are usually fine. It seems that it happens on rides where I'm seated most of the time so I think it may be the saddle. I'm using a wtb rocket v, which has a pretty good groove in it, but good size whale tale which I think may be the culprit (pinching a nerve). What kind of saddle should I be looking at? I want something that still has a good relief groove (tailbone issues).
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sharp

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My toes went numb with a new bike/new saddle purchase. Using same socks, shoes, same cleats, same pedals that I had zero numbness/tingling with for years.

Two weeks ago: purchased new bike. Dialing in the fit, etc. Tingling in left toes.

Saddle came off today and purchased new saddle that was used on last bike (ah, now I see why some bikes are sold sans saddle).

mtbr member
    For me it was my outside two toes on both feet.

I was concerned considering I was on a new bike, new shoes, etc.

It seems to have gone away for me, or at the very least gotten substantially better. I did adjust my cleat back farther on my shoes and ordered my old seat to go on my new bike (has not arrived yet), but I personally believe that in my case it was just a new shoe issue. A combination of new shoes needing a break in and I adjusted them better so they were looser at the toes. My SIDI’s have Velcro adjustments.

I am going to continue riding as is for the time being and if the problem is truly gone switch my cleat back to the old forward most position as a test. I have the feeling it had nothing to do with the problem in my case.
    Last edited by Va_Dinger; 08-18-2011 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Are you doing any long downhills? I have this issue and it is attributed to pressure from standing while descending. I have started wiggling my toes and rotating which foot is forward while descending. These two things seemed to have helped me.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    Are you doing any long downhills? I have this issue and it is attributed to pressure from standing while descending. I have started wiggling my toes and rotating which foot is forward while descending. These two things seemed to have helped me.
    No long downhills for me.

At least not yet.

I have started wiggling my toes every so often. Maybe that is helping.

rdubbs22
    Aug 2011
    I used to have this problem as well. Monitor your sports drink intake..if any. They contain a lot of sodium which can effect your circulation when performing. Good luck my dude!