Today's ride (helmet cam demo)- Mtbr.com
    Big Wheel Homer !!

Today's ride (helmet cam demo)

Today's ride ended up being a bit muddy, but was still allot of fun. I got a helmet cam a couple of weeks ago and have tried to use it a couple of time with no luck . The mfg. is sending me a new camera, apparently it's not reading the sd card correctly and will not record in the best resolution. So for now, it will only work on medium resolution setting. I'm hoping to get better picture quality when the new camera arrives. The video doesn't give the full effect of the trail and how rocky this trail is. This pic is from after the ride.

http://media.putfile.com/Land-Trust-4-9-06

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Very Cool!

I love the heavy breathing starting about 1:30. I could tell you were working it...

Give us the details of your camera setup and your thoughts on how well it works. How long can you record and how noticeable is the weight on your helment...about like a light I would imagine.

LP

mtbr member
    What trail is that on Land Trust?

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Very Cool!

I love the heavy breathing starting about 1:30. I could tell you were working it...

Give us the details of your camera setup and your thoughts on how well it works. How long can you record and how noticeable is the weight on your helment...about like a light I would imagine.

LP
    At about the 1:20 mark there is what appears to be static, that is suposed to be a "disolve" transition. The two parts of the video are about a mile apart. I used Microsoft movie maker to edit the footage, or should I say tried to use it.

Except for the failure to record in high resolution (640x480) the camera works ok. It takes still pictures as well as video in 3 resolutions. It is self contained, it records directly to a SD card, and run on 4-AAA batteries. This was the reason I bought it, all the other helmet cameras required a camcorder to be carried in your pack. On the highest resolution with a 1gb card it will record for about 1 hour, 2 hours on the middle setting and 4 hours on the lowest.

Your right about the weight on your helmet, it's about like a light. I can't really notice that it's there. I hope to have the new camera next week, so we'll see how much better it will record. One bit of information the mfg forgot to include in the manual and on their web site is the camera requires a high speed card (133x write speed) to operate correctly. I went and bought a new 1gb card and it would only take still pics and would lock up when trying to record video. After calling to report the malfunction is when I was told it required the high speed card. So my digital camera has a new 1gb card.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumagent Morple
    What trail is that on Land Trust?
    Bluff line

Gold Member
    How heavy is the camera? comparible to a helmet light?
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Cruz - what model recorder is it? I can't quite make it out in the pic.

Also - any idea how it does at night?

LP

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    How heavy is the camera? comparible to a helmet light?
    The camera w/batteries weighs 130 grams, the mount is on my helmet so I didn't weight that but I would guess that the total with strap and mount would be less than 200 grams.

Steve

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Thanks Cruz - what model recorder is it? I can't quite make it out in the pic.

Also - any idea how it does at night?

LP
    It's made by Oregon Scientific, model ATC-1000.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=14&pid=560

I first saw it on Price Point and found the best price here:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/546970039.htm

I haven't tried it at night, so no idea how it would work, but something I need to try.

Steve

veinte nueve pulgadas
    a few weeks ago I dropped a digital video camera into my camel with a bullet cam attached to my helmet. I haven't done anything with the footage yet, but I'll dump it soon and share.

The point to my post is that the bullet cam is extraordinarily light. I pretty much forgot about it. I did worry about the camera inside the camel overheating towards the end of the 8 mile ride, but everything worked out all right.

I hope to record one of my laps at the 24 hours of big bear this year.

try driving your car less
    really cool! I saw those cams and thought it was a neat idea.

thought about getting one, since i like having pictures but dont like to stop and take them.

can you get a good still from the video footage?

how much time/effort did it take from the raw footage to what was in that link?

i sort of know that if i got one of those and videoed a ride, i would not take the time to make a nice video.

i would love to rent one of those. that would be cool.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cruz--
    The new video setup looks promising. I did notice that your riding partner stopped at a rocky section early on. Did the muddy conditions contribute to his performance, or is your 29er just that much easier to maneuver?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It Was The Mud! I Swear!

Members who have read this thread: 0