Time for some new shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Time for some new shoes

hi there,

I need to buy some new XC MTB shoes. My current Lake shoes were great, a bit heavy, but the rubber soles are completely worn away.....really bad scenario for the cleats.

Anyways, I've got my eye on the Sidi Dominator or the Shimano SH M180. I need a shoe that is relatively light but my budget can't really extend to carbon fibre etc. Another requirment is that the shoe is good for walking situations, mainly on very rough rock.....hence the lack of soles on my current shoes.
    I use Sidi's on the road bike and the fit is awesome.

Any experience or advice on a new pair of shoes??

Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    i have the shimano carbon mtb ones forgot what they were called. but the sidi dominator is a high end performance cycling shoe. i don't think it'll be all that comfy for walking around.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00kme
    hi there,

I need to buy some new XC MTB shoes. My current Lake shoes were great, a bit heavy, but the rubber soles are completely worn away.....really bad scenario for the cleats.

Anyways, I've got my eye on the Sidi Dominator or the Shimano SH M180. I need a shoe that is relatively light but my budget can't really extend to carbon fibre etc. Another requirment is that the shoe is good for walking situations, mainly on very rough rock.....hence the lack of soles on my current shoes.
    I use Sidi's on the road bike and the fit is awesome.
    !
    I have the '03 Dominators they are essentially road shoes with leggos glued to the soles. They fit like gloves, cinch down snuggly, hold the foot firmly througout the ride, breathe nicely and are light as ballet slippers.

And they climb rocks like dutch clogs. Walk like em too.

Basically they are great as long as you don't unclip. so if you race they're great. If you're a trail rider, forgetaboutit.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

So what shoes are out there?

I have been trying to research this myself and my situation is relatively the same. I do a lot more riding around the urban jungle and trails than I do actual racing (actually haven't had a race in years). I'm looking for a solid shoe that is lightweight and functional on the trails that don't necessarily feel like clogs.

I have a pair of Cannondale F900s that are great for the city and some of the trails, but are REALLY hot in the summer and pretty heavy for racing, so I'm looking for the 'compromise'.

Let us know! The suggestions are 'greatly' appreciated!

mtbr member
    I really like my Specialized shoes. I have the Comp, vs. the high level (don't remember the name). The only difference I could find between them was two vs. three Velcro straps. Since they also have laces I did not think an extra strap would make a difference. The shoes are their "Body Geometry" design which has proven to be very comfy. The first time I wore them, as a replacement to my 1993 Dominators, I forgot I had new shoes for most of the ride. That is the highest compliment I can pay, since the shoes did not make me think about them. They are almost three years old and still in excellent shape. And yes, they do see a lot of miles The soles are very stiff, which is not good for walking but excellent for riding.

rack admirer

Northwave

I have a pair of sidi dom 4's that I wear 3 seasons that seem like thay were cut for my feet only, but are a bit too slippery to fit your walking criteria. Also, since they fit like slippers, they don't offer any toe or side tarsal protection from the hazards that are either fixed on the trail or stuff kicked up by the front wheel. I also have a pair of Northwaves that fit a little big which works for winter riding. the soles are supergrippy and have reinforcement at the toe and outside edge. just as stiff. Stiff shoes make you walk like a duck but at least these grip on granite surfaces. Try sierra trading post for some nice northwaves cheap.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sidi shoes are generally more comfortable than Shimano shoes. The Sidi tend to form to the foot better (because they are softer and more flexy). I recently bought Shimano shoes instead because they are a stiffer type of shoe and I prefer that type of support (ie. boot vs. sneaker). If I had to walk in them on pavement, I would take the Sidi's...

BTW: The thing I didn't like about the SH M180's when I tried them was, the tongue was too stiff and would get jammed into the top of "my" foot when I bent down.

not so super...

... and if we just ... Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    I really like my Specialized shoes. I have the Comp, vs. the high level (don't remember the name). The only difference I could find between them was two vs. three Velcro straps. Since they also have laces I did not think an extra strap would make a difference. The shoes are their "Body Geometry" design which has proven to be very comfy. The first time I wore them, as a replacement to my 1993 Dominators, I forgot I had new shoes for most of the ride. That is the highest compliment I can pay, since the shoes did not make me think about them. They are almost three years old and still in excellent shape. And yes, they do see a lot of miles The soles are very stiff, which is not good for walking but excellent for riding.
    I second the vote for the Specialized shoes. My Comp Mountains are 1.5 years old now and show few signs of wear. I find that they are very comfortable which is normally difficult for me because I have a wider foot.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSect...pShoesMountain
    Nothing to see here.

contains quinine
    i ride pearl shoes - the middle of the road version. they're really stiff, comfy, and durable. I did have a warranty issue with the first pair i got from them (one out of there first batch) but they took care of it no problems. since then, i can ask for no more from my shoes. if you're shopping, you might want to check a pair out.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I picked up a pair of Shimano 180's a couple of weeks ago. Wore out my mo58's and wanted something a little lighter/stiffer. Actually hike better in loose/hardpack So. Cal. dirt. than the MO58's. No review on rocks yet. I thought about Sidi's but previous Shimano's fit well, and these were about 70 clams less, + my Sidi dirt bike boots are kinda narrow for my feet. I've a relatively conservative fashion taste, and these are all black. Only neg. so far, even with new cleets, these seem a little stickier to release from my 959's, I like a LOOSE pedal interface....

banned
    Feb 2004
    I've ridden both Specialized Comps and Sidi Dom 4's. I prefer my Sidis. The Specialized shoes were a lot stiffer in the uppers, which made them more uncomfortable. The Sidis (I have the Lorica, but you can get mesh too if you want to stay a little cooler) fit like bunny slippers. Even better, actually. The specialized were a little easier to walk in, but the lugs wore out pretty quickly. For me, the fact that the Specialized were slightly easier to walk in was not enough to justify ditching the sweet sweet comfort of the Sidis. Plus, you can get most Sidi sizes in a Mega (wide) or a Narrow.

Then again, Sidis aren't cheap. If I had the money, I would get the new Dragons. They have replaceable lugs. Neat!

mtbr member

Another vote for SIDI

I have ridden my dom's for 3 years now and i love them. when i am off and walking they are great, although i am careful on the rocks as they are slick on them. they fit great (although you will want to replace the stock insole after a while), if you get them wet they dry quick, what else do you want??
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member
    thanks so much for the excellent advice. jury is still out for me on this one....