• 09-03-2009
    Bikezilla
    1 Attachment(s)
    Time to Retire: Hanging up My Shoes
    Well it's been a good run.
    But the fact is Freeriding has taken its toll.
    You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks...

Well these old dogs have seen better days!

Buh-bye Adidas! 2 seasons was a decent run.
    Of course I replaced them with some fresh pups! :D

After a year of frustration looking for them,
    I buckled down and spent several days combing the web for a shoe retailer who had them in my size.

That's right size 14... Even 5/10's website only list 13. But on the phone they did mention 14s could be had.

I actually need a half size bigger but I think I can manage with these.
    I called the site Endless.com and they confirmed they had "one pair on hand" in that size. Yeah right prolly had a pile...nope the day after I ordered them, the size was unavailable.
    Great site! Free overnight shipping, free return shipping. I actually ordered a pair of 5/10 Exum Guides too. They were size 15 and felt almost a full size smaller than the size 14 Impact2s. Shame they were absolutely spanky in comparison. S1 soles with C4 toe and heel + external heel protection. Sweet suede finish too.

Annyway It's good to finally get a set of 5/10s My feet were bouncing off the pedals in the rough stuff.
    I'll miss the high visibility Marvin the Martin look :cryin: ...but not much :D

Hopefully I'll be breaking them in this Saturday at Highland. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
  • 09-03-2009
    jncarpenter
    I kinda wish I had gotten the low tops....the high tops are a bit stiff for a while until you break them in. I'm sure you'll do your best :D
  • 09-03-2009
    Cornflake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Well it's been a good run.
    But the fact is Freeriding has taken its toll.
    You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks...

Well these old dogs have seen better days!

Buh-bye Adidas! 2 seasons was a decent run.
    Of course I replaced them with some fresh pups! :D

After a year of frustration looking for them,
    I buckled down and spent several days combing the web for a shoe retailer who had them in my size.

That's right size 14... Even 5/10's website only list 13. But on the phone they did mention 14s could be had.

I actually need a half size bigger but I think I can manage with these.
    I called the site Endless.com and they confirmed they had "one pair on hand" in that size. Yeah right prolly had a pile...nope the day after I ordered them, the size was unavailable.
    Great site! Free overnight shipping, free return shipping. I actually ordered a pair of 5/10 Exum Guides too. They were size 15 and felt almost a full size smaller than the size 14 Impact2s. Shame they were absolutely spanky in comparison. S1 soles with C4 toe and heel + external heel protection. Sweet suede finish too.

Annyway It's good to finally get a set of 5/10s My feet were bouncing off the pedals in the rough stuff.
    I'll miss the high visibility Marvin the Martin look :cryin: ...but not much :D

Hopefully I'll be breaking them in this Saturday at Highland. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

Had my eye on a pair of those...let us know how you like em after you have broken them in a bit.
  • 09-03-2009
    trailadvent
    Geez I thought you were really retiring there for a MO Zilla thoguht I was gonna see a DWL retirement Sultan :rolleyes: :D

Nice one about time ya got some real shoes for that beast. running shoes for running and moutian shoes for mountain, ya gonna kick yaself for not doing it sooner

5:10s RULE

Welcome to the book club :p
  • 09-03-2009
    nybike1971
    I hope they charged you 50% more than me with all the extra material those size 14 require! :D

You'll love those shoes, they offer great protection and work very well in hike-a-bike situations as well.
  • 09-03-2009
    wilks
    You got some big feet Sir. The biggest shoes I ever saw were Shaq's - he came to the Reebok Sports Club on the UWS when I was a member - he shot some hoops and left a pair of sneakers which were hung on the wall. Scubapro could get lost for a week in one of Shaq's shoes.
  • 09-03-2009
    moosehead
    2 Attachment(s)
    Yea, all the cool kids have to do the 510's and they got that magic stick, but still gotta give props to the Superstar legacy.
  • 09-04-2009
    ebxtreme
    Hey Zilla, honestly, as rad as those adidas were, you're not gonna look back. You should expect the 5.10's to be almost "too sticky" the first 3 or 4 rides. You'll get a foot on the pedals a bit wonky, but you won't be able to adjust them around because the shoes are sooo sticky.

Cheers,
    EB
  • 09-04-2009
    nickhart
    man oh man i was worried then, i'd miss the shots, the quality camera work and the lake jumping.
    don't just bin those adidas dazzlers. i'm sure there are some migrant families looking for a home who'd welcome such commodious accommodation!
  • 09-04-2009
    aixelsyd
    Quote:

Sure,.. of course you're going to Highland on the weekend I'm not around to head north. To top it off they just added another section to the Hellion trail. I think you guys will really like Highland and to top it off the weather has been great so conditions should be perfect.
    Have fun.
  • 09-04-2009
    Bikezilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    Sure,.. of course you're going to Highland on the weekend I'm not around to head north. To top it off they just added another section to the Hellion trail. I think you guys will really like Highland and to top it off the weather has been great so conditions should be perfect.
    Have fun.

Yeah I've been hearing about the additions. It'll all be new to me as this will be my first time up there. Sorry you'll not be around. Hopefully we'll get some good pix. :thumbsup:

Glad you liked the stoke Nick, I'll try to keep it coming.

NYB, no worries I paid full retail so yeah they got me for the extra material.

JNC, the hightops feel like ski boots compared to the Adidas. I still don't get why they made them with the monster-huge tongue. Not like that's an area of impact.

CF, I'll let you know how they work out. Out of the box walking around the house, they're stiff and sticky...and warm.
    They could use some true lace eyelets, instead of the sewn-in fabric loops. I think they could pull out eventually. I got that covered though, I can always grab a craft kit that punches and rivets eyelets, should the need arise.

EBX I wasn't really attached to the Adidas, they just were the first cheap sneakers with flat soles I came across in my size. I think I paid ~30 bucks for em as a holdover till I could find something better.;)

I've seen Shaq's sneakers... I can only say his GFs must be mighty bowlegged.:D
  • 09-04-2009
    antipop
    Hey BZ,
    i hope you transfer those laces over to the new kicks.
  • 09-04-2009
    Nagaredama
    What size do you wear in Nike basketball shoes?

I wear a 15 and it kills me 5.10 didn't only expanded as far North 14. I'm wondering if the 14s would be big enough.
  • 09-04-2009
    Bikezilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    What size do you wear in Nike basketball shoes?

I wear a 15 and it kills me 5.10 didn't only expanded as far North 14. I'm wondering if the 14s would be big enough.

I don't wear Nikes. Had too many disappointments. IIRC Nike runs small, at least they did way back in the day when I last tried them.

The Adidas above are size 15. And the size 14 Impacts feel perfect!. BTW the white and green laces were a spare set that came with another pair of Adidas I have. The aglets fell off the orig set. Clearly not an aesthetic driven choice.

I just got back from a 2hr techy XC ride on my 5.5 Spot. Lots of pedaling and tricky climbs. No hotspots, no toe rub. And I gotta say I don't really miss the clipless which I normaly use for such a ride. :thumbsup:

Mater o fact it was easier to lay the power down on the biger platform on hard climbs than with my over-worn ATACs and SIDIs which have a ton of slop, rocking and play.

I might have to hunt down a set of low top impacts and skip clipless alltogether...naaah. But it really DOES feel very, very good.
  • 09-04-2009
    Renegade
    Sasquatch called, he wants his shoes back.
    Ditch the time pedals, real men ride flats for everything!
  • 09-04-2009
    trailadvent
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade
    Sasquatch called, he wants his shoes back.
    Ditch the time pedals, real men ride flats for everything!

Wurd that :p
  • 09-04-2009
    Nagaredama
    Quote:

I don't wear Nikes. Had too many disappointments. IIRC Nike runs small, at least they did way back in the day when I last tried them.

The Adidas above are size 15. And the size 14 Impacts feel perfect!.

What size do you wear in SIDIs?

If I can cram my feet in 14s I'll be stoked.
  • 09-04-2009
    Hangtime
    They are Mas Grippy. My first day at Black Rock with them I almost bit it twice, could not move my foot on the pedal. They are really work well.
  • 09-04-2009
    Bikezilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    What size do you wear in SIDIs?

I wear size 50 eur SIDIs
    My bare foot measures just a bit over 12.5" heel to toe-tip.

Best bet is to try to get a pair fom someplace like Endless.com with free overnight shipping & free return shipping. But I got the last pair of 14's from them. Maybe they'll get more. There are other web shoe retailers who have similar shipping and returns. Happy hunting.
  • 09-06-2009
    Bikezilla
    Update:
    Did 7 hrs on the lifts yesterday. Kickarse comfortable shoes.
    No pedal bounce, and my foot stayed wherever I put it. Grippy as all heck, on and off the bike. Not much trouble moving it around.

I had to remind myself I could take my foot off the pedal to dab a tight corner. :thumbsup:
  • 09-08-2009
    airwreck
    nice score BZ!
    I'm on my third gen 5.10's now with the impact 2's hi tops and I was freaking at first over how stiff they were. Couldn't keep my feet on the pedals, and only wore them hiking/trailwork for a few weeks. Even after substantial break in time they are still no where as close to as soft as my old impact 1's but I've come to realize that stiffness is a benefit when it comes to hard landings.