Time pedals wearing grooves into your shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Time pedals wearing grooves into your shoes?

hey,

i took my time cleats off my shoes (shimano M220's) and i noticed that the pedals have made huge grooves in the carbon fiber soles. is there anything you can do about it? is the carbon just too soft for times? is there a metal plate you can put there to stop the wear?

thx.
    -don

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blehargh
    hey,

i took my time cleats off my shoes (shimano M220's) and i noticed that the pedals have made huge grooves in the carbon fiber soles. is there anything you can do about it? is the carbon just too soft for times? is there a metal plate you can put there to stop the wear?

thx.
    -don

I have the same thing on my Sidi Dom4's. Never really thought much about it. It is right behind the cleat, where the rear retaining mechanism (wire looking thing) has worn a groove in my sole.

More important to me: Is this something I need to be worried about? (if yes, then please refer to question above)

just along for the ride
    My Specialized shoes also very hard bottom is also showing that wear but I have 3500 miles on them and it still works fine so its not a problem.

Bodhisattva

Yes and No.

Yes. Time pedals wear grooves in Shimano 220 carbon-soled shoes. I have 2 sets of Times and 2 sets of shoes and it's happened on both.
    However, the depth of the grooves don't progress beyond a certain point and I have not noticed any change in performance of the shoe or pedal.

I'm curious as to whether this will also happen with the newer ATAC XS pedals since the bars are a bit wider & flatter.

Bodhisattva

Yes and No.

Yes. Time pedals wear grooves in Shimano 220 carbon-soled shoes. I have 2 sets of Times and 2 sets of shoes and it's happened on both.
    However, the depth of the grooves don't progress beyond a certain point and I have not noticed any change in performance of the shoe or pedal.

I'm curious as to whether this will also happen with the newer ATAC XS pedals since the bars are a bit wider & flatter.

Bodhisattva

Yes and No.

Bodhisattva

Yes and No.

Bodhisattva

Sorry...

My computer had a seizure. Please excuse the multiple posts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have Shimano Carbons & Sidi Dom. 4's and have/do use Times & Egg's - Both designs do leave marks but as others have said, I too haven't noticed a difference in performance.
    ...I'm just waiting for the day though when I go to un-clip and the cleat stays in the pedal, doh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

yes on the atac XS...

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

well to answer your question, yup, it happens on the XS's cause that's what i have. :P

-don