Time for New Shoes(clipless): Carbon vs. Regular Sole- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Time for New Shoes(clipless): Carbon vs. Regular Sole

It's finally time for me to pick up a new pair of shoes. After 8 years, I'm retiring my 2002 Specialized Comp shoes. I was very happy with them but they are just worn out. So, I want a pair of LIGHTWEIGHT but COMFORTABLE shoes.

Lots of the higher end models come with carbon soles which are supposedly stiffer. Does the carbon sole really make a difference? Does stiffer translate into more power? I like the fit of the specialized so I'm leaning towards another pair. Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    It depends on how they use the carbon. Some carbon shoes I've worn have such a thin layer of it that they flex more than a good pair of regular soles. Same goes for if the layup isn't done correctly. But if the carbon is robust enough, and laid up correctly, they are pretty much a fully rigid shoe, and pretty light as well. That does translate into a bit better power transfer to the pedals. How much better? That depends a lot on how you pedal. I honestly don't get a massive amount of extra power or efficiency with them, but it is there. If I had to put a number on it, maybe just a few percent better than my current stiff regular soled shoes, but that's a complete guess.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The answer depends on what you mean by "comfortable"......

I went from a pair of Specialized SPD shoes similar to the Tahoe. I don't remember the name but they were, from the looks of it, a bit heavier than the Tahoe. These were basically tennis shoes with cleats. Super comfy and casual shoes even for walking around in.

I upgraded to the Specialized S-Works carbon MTB shoe and immediately felt a huge difference. Way lighter and incredibly stiff. I did notice that I was able to spin up much faster than my old shoes. They are very comfortable on the bike. They, however, are way too stiff to be walking around in. I got a flat, was a ways from home, left my cell phone and all tools at home and had to walk two miles. The blisters were getting so bad that I just took the shoes off and finished the walk bare foot.

mtbr member
    One thing I've learned from the pair of Sidi's I've worn the past five years: my next pair of shoes will have rubber-lugged outsoles. Plastic bottoms make it too easy to bust your ass when you're off the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0