time for knee protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

time for knee protection

Hey guys getting to the point in my life were its prob a good idea to start to wear some knee pad/protection while riding. Looking for something that is good for pedaling and as comfortable as they can be. Been reading reviews and stuff and it seems for every great review of a set there is a crappy review lol.

What are you guys liking for light weight knee pad/protection wise? Wouldn't mind alittle shin coverage but not a deal breaker and I realize that that makes em heavier, less flexible and less comfortable.

Thanks
    J-

mtbr member

I've been wearing the RF Indy knee pads for the past couple years. I wear them all ride every ride. They pedal fine and are not bad in hot weather. They are a lighter pad so you have to be realistic about how much protection they offer.

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/indy-knee18
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like my Kali Striker pads. Light weight and plenty of protection. Only problem is they are often out of stock.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Good deal her:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/a...caAp_LEALw_wcB

I've been using mine for over a year and still stay in place. Light protection though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Hey guys getting to the point in my life were its prob a good idea to start to wear some knee pad/protection while riding.
    I feel ya man...I've been using my knee pads every ride big or small past few years.

I stuck with 661's until they were toast, then moved to the Troy Lee Raid. I was not thrilled about the web on the back at first. After 6 months or of use I would say the webbing behind the knee is a nonissue as far as comfort.

Overall super comfortable while pedaling. I've had a few minor lay downs, they worked and did not move. Not big hits thankfully but I am happy overall.

Worth looking into.

https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/raid...tity=1&color=7

mtbr member
    What I did was visit every LBS in the area, and tried on every knee pad I could find. Then I bought the most comfy from the LBS. This is something that has to be tried on in person IMO.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Living in N. FL and wanting to wear knee pads year round necessitated finding a lighter, more breathable solution. I chose the Dainese Trail Skins 2 pads and have been very pleased with them...https://www.dainese.com/us/en/trail-...safety#start=1

Good luck with your choice and good decistion to wear knee pads...
    2018 Fuel Ex 5 27.5+
    Bontrager Dropline 125
    Ergon GP1 BioKork grips
    Pedaling Innovations Catalysts

mtbr member
    I got a set of G-form pads for christmas, and did my first ride with them yesterday! The knee pads took a couple re-adjustments to get just right, but once they were comfortable, I didn't even notice them any longer...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool thanks for the info guys. I would love to try on at an LBS but being winter in Michigan they usually let stock get real low and don’t usually have much in the way of clothing, pads etc.

I’ll check out the ones you all have shared.

J-

Dirty Old Man
    I tried the Dianese Trailskins and the Kali Strike pads. I ended up sending the Dianese pads back as the fit just wasn't as comfortable for me as the Kali pads. If you're looking for something to save your skin while being comfortable, light, and airy then the Strike and Trailskins are the way to go though. Of course if you're doing hardcore DH and enduro then you may want something with a solid knee cover.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    I tried the Dianese Trailskins and the Kali Strike pads. I ended up sending the Dianese pads back as the fit just wasn't as comfortable for me as the Kali pads. If you're looking for something to save your skin while being comfortable, light, and airy then the Strike and Trailskins are the way to go though. Of course if you're doing hardcore DH and enduro then you may want something with a solid knee cover.
    Cool thanks. No real hardcore DH stuff but do ride some techy trails with tricky climbs and down hill. I don't do any bike park stuff so I' really just looking for saving skins and trying to avoid gashes to the knees if I go down in a real rocky section.

J-

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Race Face Flank D30

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...BoCFjQQAvD_BwE

I've got 2 pair of these Race Face Flank D30 knee pads and they are the best I've used. All my other pads are sitting on a shelf collecting dust. They give you a bit more protection down the leg covering the shin area, and side protection as well. I don't find them heavy. Once on and riding, don't even notice them. YMMV.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    I use the Fox Enduro ones. So far, they've been comfortable during multi-hour rides, stay in place well, and have held up to rock strikes nicely. They're a little short on the shin protection you want, but they do at least cover the top few inches.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    G form. Work well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I ride with IXS Flow Zips and love them. The IXS Carve, I think that's the next one up, have shin protection. The GForm feel nice when riding but I've seen too many instances where they just don't protect in a crash.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    I like to wear my Alpinestars Paragon pads for most of my rides too. I also have a set of Kali knee/elbow pads for days I get a bit more crazy.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've been using the ION K-PAC and have been very happy with them. They're probably a little more bulky than some of the others mentioned here but once on I don't notice them at all. Ridden them in hot 40C weather, yes they get warm but so would anything else.

Had a couple of fairly large crashes and they stayed in place. Judging from the scuffs on the right pad I would have lost quite a bit of skin at best without them.

For me the most important thing after comfort is that they stay in place when called to duty. I tried a lot and these were the only ones that wouldn't easily slide down my leg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wear G Form pads like a number of others in the thread. I find them comfortable and while I've only gone down once in them (where my knee was impacted) they seemed to do a good job. I haven't tried any of the newer gen enduro pads of the same class though.

mtbr member
    I got my set of 7idp Sam Hill knee pads this year, and have been really happy with them.

They come down farther on the shin than many of the others I've seen (maybe call it mid-upper shin). They also come up farther up the thigh than others. They are long enough to tuck them under my riding shorts, which really keeps them in place.

I'd call them about the upper end of protection that I'd like to wear all the time. My buddy has a pair of Leatt Airflex Pros, which are also good, and likely flow more air. They don't have quite as much coverage down the shin, or around the knee.

I've only had them irritate the back of my knee once, which was a 13 mile day at Duthie, where I ran my seat low all day (I don't have a dropper), so I ran it at a compromised all day, because that was less annoying than getting off and adjusting the seat height every 3 minutes :P. Other than that though, once I get them on, warmed up, and situated, I don't think about them until I take them off.

Anyway, good luck finding something that works for you .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I also have Ion Kpack. So far so good including a couple of crashes actually.... Saved me some trail rash for sure. Very comfortable and they stay put even on long rides with up and down hills.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about finding or making some 3/4 length pants, “knickers” with padding in the knee area that was removable if desired. I really want keep my knees warm and out of the wind, especially on big winter or high alpine decents where you get that freezing ache and I hate leg warmers that always slide down and don’t really block the wind well either. Kinda lame too.
    In the past I’ve used g-form and alpinstars. G forms get stretched out/ruined if put on over any kind of pants/tights so that sucks. . .and the alpin stars are annoying to peddle in but if left down, over the shin, for the big climbs, are pretty good, then lifted into place for the cold fast decents. Still kind of a pain though. . .especially since you have to put both of them on without your shoes on and leave them for the duration, PITA. They are both hot in summer too and generally slide down some after a season of stretching out. I’m thinking knickers with a pad pocket and optional/adjustable straps for security when things get rowdy.
    I generally use rock climbing knickers year round with best comfort, decent ventilation and minimal hassle but having a wind proof knee and some protection would sure be the icing on the cake! If these existed I’d just buy’em. What do you guys think? Anyone seen something like this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    If these existed I’d just buy’em. What do you guys think? Anyone seen something like this?
    If the padding is in the pant/capri it'll move out of the way when you crash. You need the pad help in place against your knee for it to do any good.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I totally agree they need to be strapped on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    I’m thinking knickers with a pad pocket and optional/adjustable straps for security when things get rowdy.