Time ATAC XS Pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Time ATAC XS Pedals

Anyone know which carbon shoes will work on Time ATAC XS pedals without having to shave any part of the sole and will take a shim or shoe shield (protect the carbon) without the cleats touching the ground?

Thanks!
    ckc

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Diadora

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    any other shoes that work well w/ the time atac xs ?

Two Tired
    They work with my Sidis.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haven't had to shave my Nikes, Cannondale or Specialized.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine View Post
    They work with my Sidis.
    Which model Sidi and are you using a shim? Do the cleats touch the ground?

Thanks
    ckc

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Haven't had to shave my Nikes, Cannondale or Specialized.
    Which model of the Specialized? Do you use a shim and do the cleats touch the ground?

I currently have the Specialized Expert and had to shave the sole. Also don't like the cleats hitting the ground because I use a shim to protect the carbon sole.

Thanks
    ckc

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by ckc527 View Post
    Which model Sidi and are you using a shim? Do the cleats touch the ground?

Thanks
    ckc
    I'll jump in here: I run the Sidi Dominators, old and new versions and have not had any issues with the ATAC XS. And, no the cleat doesn't hit the ground first, however the Dominator tread is pretty miniscule and hard, so there's not much traction there.
    I have also run the Sidi Bullet's with the XS, again, no problems there either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I'll jump in here: I run the Sidi Dominators, old and new versions and have not had any issues with the ATAC XS. And, no the cleat doesn't hit the ground first, however the Dominator tread is pretty miniscule and hard, so there's not much traction there.
    I have also run the Sidi Bullet's with the XS, again, no problems there either.
    Hi Simplemind,

Are you using shims or shoe shield with your cleats?

Thanks
    ckc

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by ckc527 View Post
    Hi Simplemind,

Are you using shims or shoe shield with your cleats?

Thanks
    ckc
    No, although earlier I used the thin shim that was supplied with the cleat, but decided I didn't need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What's the problem with cleats touching the ground? Do you walk a lot in your bike shoes?

My opinion is that it's more important to get the shoe that fits you best and then do whatever is necessary to make it work with your pedals and cleats. We're talking about minimal amounts of modifications... shaving lugs a bit is really all you might need to do. I've found that no shoe shield is necessary with Time pedals. There will be a small amount of wear on the sole of the shoe from the "wings" of the pedal, but it's not something that has caused problems for me in the past few years of using them. Crank Brothers pedals were a different story... those things ate my shoes.

I'd rather be riding!
    No problems with my Specialized Tahoes as far as needing to trim them. Just put them on and go. Every now and then when I have the shoes on and walk around the basement I can make a movement where a cleat taps on the concrete, but not very often.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    What's the problem with cleats touching the ground? Do you walk a lot in your bike shoes?

My opinion is that it's more important to get the shoe that fits you best and then do whatever is necessary to make it work with your pedals and cleats. We're talking about minimal amounts of modifications... shaving lugs a bit is really all you might need to do. I've found that no shoe shield is necessary with Time pedals. There will be a small amount of wear on the sole of the shoe from the "wings" of the pedal, but it's not something that has caused problems for me in the past few years of using them. Crank Brothers pedals were a different story... those things ate my shoes.
    Hi BShow,

I don't walk a lot in them, it just doesn't feel natural when I'm standing. Not a big deal, I just would rather have the cleats recessed.

It's good to know that shields are not needed with the Time pedals but for clarification, does that also apply to carbon sole shoes? I recall reading somewhere that shoe shields or shims are needed to protect carbon sole shoes if using pedals with dual retention bar style like Time and CB.

Thanks,
    ckc

Two Tired
    I have Sidi Eagles. No trimming, no shims or shields, no toe spikes. The cleats don't touch the ground first, but a bit more wear on the soles and I suppose they could. To be honest, this is the least cared for bit of kit that I have. The shoes get sweaty, dirty, wet, dusty, muddy and cleaning mostly consists of banging them together to get junk off. For me, you are over-thinking this decision if the shoes fit your foot. The cleats and the pedals will be fine (as previously mentioned, much better than the Eggbeaters).
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

Like a BOSS
    No issues with my Specialized Pro MTB (full length Carbon midsole) and Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals, they work fine with out trimming, shims or shields, and the cleats are recessed enough to not notice them while walking.
    Adam Christopher
    Strava
    Instagram
    YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 2