Time Atac Alium x Regular shoes- Mtbr.com

May 2007

Time Atac Alium x Regular shoes

Hi,

im looking for a clipless pedal to use ocasionally with regular shoes.
    Can i use the Time Atac Alium with regular shoes ocasionally without big risks of accidents or ruining the pedal?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rubens; 07-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.

local trails rider
    You won't ruin the pedal. The pedal body is pretty small and you wont have good traction on it. Riding on pavement should be OK but I would not like to do that on rough surfaces.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Agreed...

the Time Alium isn't any bigger platform wise than a Crank Bros Candy pedal. Neither would be particularly comfortable to ride with in regular shoes. And as pertime noted, traction between the pedal and shoe would be minimal. The occassional short ride up to the pump and pack wouldn't be that big of a deal. But if you had any distance to go, wanted to ride off road, or do a commute, it wouldn't be a good idea. I've seen some pretty nasty injuries due to riding buddies forgetting their riding shoes but going on the Sunday afternoon ride anyway! Just depends on how, how far, and under what conditions you intend to ride them with regular shoes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

May 2007
    Thanks Squash and Perttime!

So, the Time Z should be better for for ocasional commuter rides (~6 to 8miles) using regular shoes right?

Well thanks again,

Cheers!

local trails rider
    The Z would be better but still not all that great: the mechanism protrudes from the pedal body, making it worse than a "real" platform pedal.

I am commuting about 5-6 miles each way most days, in clipless shoes, and I am keeping a pair of regular shoes at work.

May 2007
    Lol it seems that i have nowhere to go thanks for the info!
    i already bought the time alium and i was thinking about buying a Z pedal, but i think ill just buy those hike/bike shoes instead!
    By the way, im thinking about buying the Pearl Izumi X-alp. Do you know if they are smaller/bigger than suual or do they run true to their size?
    Anyway, thanks for clearing things up!

Cheers!

local trails rider
    If you already have the pedals, put them on and try for yourself.

Don't know about the sizing. So far, I've always managed to try before I buy.

May 2007
    I bought them buy theyre still on their way home
    i have some options here like the specialized taho and the shimano shoes, but i really liked the pearl izumi, but i think ill try those before thinking about pearl izumi!
    thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0