Time for armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Time for armor

Mar 2004

Time for armor

Well, I'm possible going on a ride here soon (next few months probably) where it is recommended I get some armor. Just the basic knee/shin and elbow. Up to this point I haven't needed it/wanted it and have braved terrains without it. I no longer have a desire for large pieces of flesh removed from my body though, so I was wanting some ideas of what some good armor is, if anybody has any? Just knee and elbow.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    cant say enough about how comfy and secure the 661 4x4 stuff is. its long but saves yer skin without slidin off like some other more popular pads can do.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mar 2004
    OK, so what about protection? It doesn't look the toughest, but I know looks are only half the battle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    cant say enough about how comfy and secure the 661 4x4 stuff is. its long but saves yer skin without slidin off like some other more popular pads can do.
    The only issue with that stuff is it can't really take a hit. I bruised my kneecap through a set of those so bad I couldn't walk for a week.

To the OP: If you're talking dual slalom racing, or the like, they should keep you insured against raspberries. BUT, if you're going to be in the rough & rocky & want protection against broken shin/ knee....better get something with more protection. Race Face Rally FR/ DH type.

good point. for big rocks its a bit soft but for general dirt use ive been pleased with how they kept me safe even with a few big rocks thrown in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mar 2004
    Well, sounds like it could be some hard rock hits, but mostly sliding on the crap. My bro wasted a set of pads when he slid a bit. Just ate through them. Think you were there cactus, moab.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Give the TLD Lopes knee/shin a try. I purchased them a month ago, and road moab/fruita last week as a trial run. The best all day riding set up I have used compared to Roach and 661 tomcat or Kyle Straits. A soft sleeve with some protection slides over the knee. The plastic outer portion velcros to knee sleeve and two straps secure around the calf. It doesn't move, rub and is cooler than the tomcats.

i dont remember anyone fallin that hard but i might have been. whos yer bother?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mar 2004
    Wow cactus, thought you would remember me . I'm squish's brother...I forget what he had for pads but he apparently hit the ground and slid for a bit and it wore right through to foam. That's why he's running race face, even though parts of them still say roach on them.

mtbr member
    Yeah I am running the older Dainese pads that require you to take your shoes off when using them. Arent the newer ones really nice if not pricey ? I know mine stay put and are somewhat breathable. This is something I want to look into as I have been riding terrain for a long time that should have me in pads but I almost never wear them. Sounds like I should get some for trail (661 4x4) and some for bigger days. What full on suit is best for park days ? what about under short armor? thanks.

Big Test Icycles
    Cant say enough about my Rock Garden Landing Zones (Knee/shin) I did put in a Fathers Day request for the new 661 knee pads for lighter and hotter rides. The new stuf looks like it will move and breathe better. But RG stuff is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ...they kept me safe even with a few big rocks thrown in.
    Hmmmmm, I remember another version

Rides Uphill Slow

My $.02

My vote is the Roach Rally FR. I believe they are on sale at pricepoint right now. I crashed so hard on my knee cap that it cracked the plastic but saved my knees so I was able to finish the ride. I bought a new pair as soon as I got home.
    I'm here for the downhill

Oh, So Interesting!
    ^yup... I have the 661 ks pads, too, but I might retire them... they're really hot and the roach pads offer way more protection. The 661s will help, but not nearly as much as the roach, and they will come down your leg in a sliding fall. The roach pads are the only arm pad I'd trust also, and I have the Race Face armor jacket, which is excellent.

Jenson had them all for %50 off, just the dh pads are left now, they have a little heavier padding than the fr, maybe a little too burly:

http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=roach+rally

I also have a new pair of large roach fr arm pads if anyone wants them, I went with xl... $30 + $7 for priority mail.

Never enough time to ride
    Hey duder,

I've got the Roach/Race Face Rally FR's and love them. They pedal really well, and breath decently. They get a bit warm on hot days, but it beats the heck out of bouncing bare skin and bone of rocks!!

Oh yeah, lets see some dirty pics of your Spot, I've only seen it clean and shiny!!

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!