• 03-04-2017
    idividebyzero
    tights to wear under shorts for wind chill?
    What kind of material/pants is good for removing some of the bite from cold air in shaded areas?

Right now its really cold in areas that never get sun and 60 everywhere else, Im looking for some pants to wear under shorts that wont cook me in the sun but will keep the frigid air off the skin.
  • 03-04-2017
    TraxFactory
    Several companies make legging that is wind stopper specific. I use a shorter version but something like this

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/g...XS&rec=sameCat

or this

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/l...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • 03-05-2017
    GlazedHam
    I have a pair of Perl Izumi bibs and Performance bibs both with knicker style legs and both with a tad thicker material on the front thigh panels. The Performance are at least 18 years old and the PIs about 5 so I can't give you specific models. The performance brand have some sort of fleece like material for an inner layer; the PIs seem to simply be a thicker Lycra blend. I like the Performance way better even though the chamois technology is out of date --they are warmer when not moving and wick sweat better. Sorry I can't tell you the name of the fleece like material that seems to work.

Having said all that, I usually use leggings because we often experience 20F degree temp changes on a ride and I can just remove the leggings. I use the thick bibs in combo with leggings if it is going to stay below about 48F.

More info than you want but I'm also getting all Wim Hof lately and just ignoring the cold.
  • 03-05-2017
    *OneSpeed*
    search for "leg warmers". most major brands make them, and most online sellers carry them. you can also order through your LBS. they're thin and breath really well. they look like tights but are separate from each other.
  • 03-10-2017
    idividebyzero
    I ordered some leg warmers and they just dont stay up on the thigh. I bought some before but they werent high end, and they fell down really fast, thought they were too big and cheap. Went with Fox and a small this time and despite being too tight around the calf and knee they fall down the thigh at the first leg bend. So I dont think leg warmers work on my legs.

Maybe some Nike/Under Armor thermal compression pants? Im not going to pay 100 bucks for some bike pants I'll barely use.
  • 03-10-2017
    TraxFactory
    Just in case your not...

You really need to pull those babies up high, close to your crotch area. Be sure they are UNDER your liners. They should have a rubber/silicone strip on the outside that would grab your chammy liners when worn underneath.
  • 03-11-2017
    terrasmak
    Target C9 gear, long running tites. They are $30 and are great , I wear them over my liners or my road bibs.

They have a few other cheap lightweight active thermal offerings. I use the same ones for winter riding, and running.