Thumb help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Thumb help

mtbr member

Thumb help

Anyone else have a bad thumb from crashing their bike? What do you do for help While riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You mean for shifting? I messed up my right thumb sliding out in the snow right after Christmas and it is still hurting. By the end of a ride, downshifting requires a lot of effort and pain.

mtbr member
    I broke my left thumb in 2 places in a crash 2 seasons ago. I thought about getting a thumb brace for under my glove (the kind you pick up in a pharmacy) because I periodically get soreness when riding. I feel it more when doing DH. It actually helps me to learn not to grip the bars too hard because that leads to fatigue. Haven't done it yet though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
    You mean for shifting? I messed up my right thumb sliding out in the snow right after Christmas and it is still hurting. By the end of a ride, downshifting requires a lot of effort and pain.
    Yah that too but mainly in the pocket between thumb and index mainly on the inside of the thumb, I sprained it like three times in the last year and a half. It’s really taking a while to heal this last time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I broke my left thumb in 2 places in a crash 2 seasons ago. I thought about getting a thumb brace for under my glove (the kind you pick up in a pharmacy) because I periodically get soreness when riding. I feel it more when doing DH. It actually helps me to learn not to grip the bars too hard because that leads to fatigue. Haven't done it yet though.
    Someone needs to invent /produce a bike specific thumb brace that allows for the grip radius at correct angles of downward pressures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by injected59 View Post
    Yah that too but mainly in the pocket between thumb and index mainly on the inside of the thumb, I sprained it like three times in the last year and a half. It’s really taking a while to heal this last time.

How's the thumb doing now? I am having some arthritis in the base of my left thumb after a long weekend in Downieville. My damned dropper trigger is the culprit. I have long had issues though, from years of riding BMX. It's one of the big reasons I don't really ride the little bike anymore.

What have you done in the year since to alleviate your pain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daledenton View Post
    How's the thumb doing now? I am having some arthritis in the base of my left thumb after a long weekend in Downieville. My damned dropper trigger is the culprit. I have long had issues though, from years of riding BMX. It's one of the big reasons I don't really ride the little bike anymore.

What have you done in the year since to alleviate your pain?
    First and foremost the best thing I did was go to flat pedals. Otherwise I actually have been off the bike for about 9 months trying to strengthen my left hip complex so I think that gave me a little time for my thumb to heal, it is still not 100% but it is much better. Also have been doing core strength and trying to activate my lats more. This may sound like a stretch but if you have poor lat engagement you use your thumb and hand for all the support and you also end up hiking up your shoulder to recruit strength from your neck. This in turn will also aggravate The nerves that radiate down your arm into your thumb and hand. so it hasn’t been one miracle thing for me but it is better and I am able to ride now without much irritation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by injected59 View Post
    First and foremost the best thing I did was go to flat pedals. Otherwise I actually have been off the bike for about 9 months trying to strengthen my left hip complex so I think that gave me a little time for my thumb to heal, it is still not 100% but it is much better. Also have been doing core strength and trying to activate my lats more. This may sound like a stretch but if you have poor lat engagement you use your thumb and hand for all the support and you also end up hiking up your shoulder to recruit strength from your neck. This in turn will also aggravate The nerves that radiate down your arm into your thumb and hand. so it hasn’t been one miracle thing for me but it is better and I am able to ride now without much irritation

So I've been back on flats for a few months now, though I hardly see how that involves my thumb. In general I have been working on my lats since an old bike messenger friend is a trainer now and has really stressed lat work.

I'm not looking at taking 9 months(!) off the bike. I stayed off for 4 weeks because of my wrist and then on my first week back riding my thumb really flared up. Going to ask for a cortisone injection as soon as I can get into my doctor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daledenton View Post
    So I've been back on flats for a few months now, though I hardly see how that involves my thumb. In general I have been working on my lats since an old bike messenger friend is a trainer now and has really stressed lat work.

I'm not looking at taking 9 months(!) off the bike. I stayed off for 4 weeks because of my wrist and then on my first week back riding my thumb really flared up. Going to ask for a cortisone injection as soon as I can get into my doctor.
    Do your research on cortisone, it should be last resort imo. Flats involved thumb in regards to my ability to get rid of the bike whilst “eating shit” instead of being clipped and not being able to get my foot down