Throw'en the idea out: New ipod nano as a helmet cam?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Throw'en the idea out: New ipod nano as a helmet cam?

First and for most, im just throwing the idea out there...

Well im in the market for a helmet cam, as ive realized that regular cameras wont cut it.

First, i was looking at the go pro, but then an idea came to me

How about the new ipod nano with the video camera?

When you look at the specs, its a VERY tempting alternative IMO

Better Video specs (sample vids shot from the nano on youtube look pretty darn impressive)
    Longer lasting, built in battery
    Cheaper (only $192 vs $300)
    Does a crap load of other stuff
    8gb or 16gb of memory built in
    looks FAR better than the gopro
    Vids can be uploaded straight to youtube
    You can watch and preview the videos on the ipod

Now obviously you are going to need a hardcase for it, but they are only $15 bucks, plus if you look around there are lots of ideas for water proof cases, dust covers etc, and im sure making stands for it is quite easy, making mounting it not to much of a hassle

Just seeing what other people think of the idea

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    I was thnking about doing that with my Iphone 3GS
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member

new nano

yeah...I actually thought about it today myself after an Apple conversation at work.
    if it sucks...at least you have an ipod that works.
    good luck and post updates if you decide to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hard to beat this for the price

www.thebulletcam.com

mtbr member
    hopefully my wife got the hint, and is getting me one for my anniversary present. If she does I'll try it out
    Team _________

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Contour HD seems to be the helmet-cam of choice right now, but the questions to answer about the I-pod would be: Field of view? Ability to deal with changing light conditions? Frame rate? Quality of recording? Etc...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The Contour HD seems to be the helmet-cam of choice right now, but the questions to answer about the I-pod would be: Field of view? Ability to deal with changing light conditions? Frame rate? Quality of recording? Etc...
    I'm going to lean towards the GoPro being the camera of choice. While the resolution isn't as sharp as the Contour's, it is way way much more stable. There is a thread on the comparison. The consensus is getting to the point that the Contour's higher resolution doesn't make up for the shakiness.

How did you plan on mounting that Nano to your helmet, OP?
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

N* Bomber Crew
    You might want to make sure the lens is wide enough. For POV Helmet Cams, wide angle lenses (read: Fish Eye) work the best. Your idea is feasible, but the results seem like they'd be sub-par, especially if you're buying a iPod nano for that purpose.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm at Interbike and talked with the owner of GoPro and he said a HD version is coming out in the next month or so. $299 for full HD video with a internal lithium ion battery. I'm going to get one of these as well. The video they shot with one at the booth was as nice as any DVD you have watched in HD.

If $299 is out of the budget for any of you guys I suggest the bullet cam I linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    I'm going to lean towards the GoPro being the camera of choice. While the resolution isn't as sharp as the Contour's, it is way way much more stable. There is a thread on the comparison. The consensus is getting to the point that the Contour's higher resolution doesn't make up for the shakiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    Probably an extremely ghetto method involving lots of zipties.

I understand there could be issues with the ipod, not saying i am doing it, just wanted to see if it was a possible idea

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    The mental picture of an Ipod zip tied to my helmet makes me giggle... Good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

clyde in training
    I've always been fond of attaching a digital camera to my helmet. It's better quality than the ipod and you can find a lot of digital cameras for really cheap now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    I've always been fond of attaching a digital camera to my helmet. It's better quality than the ipod and you can find a lot of digital cameras for really cheap now.
    Problem is the lenses dont last long at all, because most have zooming and mechanical AF'ing, the jolts and vibrations from riding destroy the internal gears and such

I reckon this is the reason real helmet cams dont have mechanical auto focus, hence why i was thinking bout using the Nano

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven
    I'm at Interbike and talked with the owner of GoPro and he said a HD version is coming out in the next month or so. $299 for full HD video with a internal lithium ion battery. I'm going to get one of these as well. The video they shot with one at the booth was as nice as any DVD you have watched in HD.

If $299 is out of the budget for any of you guys I suggest the bullet cam I linked above.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. Luckily I'm partially sponsored by GoPro so I get a bit of a discount on their stuff. But since I just got my Helmet Hero Wide not a month ago, I'm going to just use it for a while. Maybe I can get some races/contests under my belt and they will offer me a full sponsorship or a bigger discount so I can get the HD when it comes out. Haha.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I had the same (crazy) idea about the new Nano. After playing with one in the store, my main thoughts were:
    1. the smooth sleek lines do not lend themselves to easy helmet mounting (I was thinking maybe velcro on the chest protector maybe?)
    2. Using the controls to start/stop with gloves on would be teh suck.
    3. lens is very small, would be a pain to keep dust-free

And the vid quality is pretty bad, see this comparison:
    http://eguiders.com/video/flip-sd-vs-ipod-nano

Post pics if you go through with it!

mtbr member
    I am interested in the BulletCam. Anyone have any MTB videos shot with it?
    If you build it you get to jump it, forget them.

mtbr member
    If you want one of the best helmet cameras, best mounting and best image but you don't mind spending a little more cash check out
    http://helmetcamera.com
    My little brother bought one 3 years ago for snowboarding. I've been using it during the summer during my trips to the hills.

The thing is bomb proof I've crashed on it with no harm done, and the velco that they include is the cats meow. If your serious about POV videos you have to check it out

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign rider
    If you want one of the best helmet cameras, best mounting and best image but you don't mind spending a little more cash check out
    http://helmetcamera.com
    My little brother bought one 3 years ago for snowboarding. I've been using it during the summer during my trips to the hills.

The thing is bomb proof I've crashed on it with no harm done, and the velco that they include is the cats meow. If your serious about POV videos you have to check it out
    That looks like a pretty spiffy setup.
    However, it doesn't look to be cost effective when compared to the GoPro and Contour.
    A basic kit ($190 and up) doesn't even come with a recording device. Plus it looks like you have to wear a backpack or something to store the recording device when you are filming (correct me if I'm wrong).
    If you want the kit that includes everything, you're going to shell out at least $500. Even the Contour HD is less than that. And the Contour and GP do not need any recording devices to attach to it.

mtbr member
    Your quite right about the recording device, I either wear a backpack. Which I alway do when I'm at my local bike park or free ride trail. Or because you can get a longer cable I sometimes stuff the cable down my jersey and put the DVR in my pocket.

The recording device they sell (DVR) is tiny very very tiny. It's a little bigger then an Iphone. I have not had to use the water proof DVR case yet just because I have not had the thing fully under water.

Your right cost is quite steep but if you look at the images and videos, there is not much out there that can beat the quality.

I'm in the process of taking all my video from this year and building a crash video, I'll post it once I'm done

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your right cost is quite steep but if you look at the images and videos, there is not much out there that can beat the quality.
    I will not disagree with you one bit there. That system looks pretty good.
    However on the flipside, if you're on a budget, the GoPro by far, is the best bang for the buck out of any helmet cam system mentioned so far. I'm even thinking that the OP will wind up spending less money if he got a GP rather than trying to ghetto engineer a setup with the ipod touch.

Now, that said, once the GoPro comes out with their HD camera, all bets are off; comparable quality, lower price, fewer parts. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyOne
    I am interested in the BulletCam. Anyone have any MTB videos shot with it?

+1
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member
    The main problem with the GoPro is durablity in a crash, The plastic case that holds the camera is to put it lightly flimsy.

I like to push my limits as do my friends, 2 of which have destroyed a GoPro (I'll see if they still have the pictures of the units).

Helmetcamera.com's camera case is the heart of the whole unit, I've scraped it across the dirt smoked it on tree branches and been just down right mean to it. My little brother has crashed directly on it snowboarding, smoked tree branches etc.. I think you get my point.

The thing is bomb proof, you can't break the camera when it's in the case.

I too am looking forward to the HD GoPro to see how the image qualtiy is because my brother has the 640 line camera which is HD quality but because of the storage media compression it bumps it down a little. I expect this may be the same problem for the GoPro ( claim HD quality but due to the storage media and compression down grade that )

JBinKC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Problem is the lenses dont last long at all, because most have zooming and mechanical AF'ing, the jolts and vibrations from riding destroy the internal gears and such

I reckon this is the reason real helmet cams dont have mechanical auto focus, hence why i was thinking bout using the Nano
    I've been using a digital camera mounted to my helmet and it works great. I too was worried about breaking the camera, but I bought the best buy extended warranty. Its nice to bomb down the moutnain knowning that if I destroy the camera, its covered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll have MTB video from a bulletcam in about 4 days. I'm at Interbike until Saturday an will shoot some video on the bulletcam on Sunday. I'll upload on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The main problem with the GoPro is durablity in a crash, The plastic case that holds the camera is to put it lightly flimsy.
    Good to know. The case seems pretty sturdy to me, but I've yet to crash with it on.
    If I do and it sustains any damage, I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    please get a pink one!!!
    so sick.

Freeriding Feline

Oh No!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    I was thnking about doing that with my Iphone 3GS
    Captain, just the thought of strapping my iPhone to the outside of my helmet is giving me chest pains! Poor iPhone!
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven
    I'll have MTB video from a bulletcam in about 4 days. I'm at Interbike until Saturday an will shoot some video on the bulletcam on Sunday. I'll upload on Sunday.
    Anything yet. Interested in seeing it
    2009 SX Trail 2

Pivotal figure
    I'm thinking about making a mount for my FLIP HD, just to see how it works. Probably won't work too well on an XC helmet but should be pretty stable and easy to rig up on the fullface.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Members who have read this thread: 0