This is a thread about Bell's. NO not the helmets :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

This is a thread about Bell's. NO not the helmets :)

I am thinking about getting a bell for my bike. I know I know, kind of odd, thing is, more and more I am on trails that have some popularity and mixed users. So hikers, horses, and other bikes.

I want something "cool" of course

I'd like something metal (can take a crash)

I'd want something that announces myself with a polite "Hi, pardon me, may I please make my past you". Don't want a tone that says "Get out of my way you poser, I'm teh faster than you so MOVE"

I've done some searching and haven't really come up with much so let me know if you have any leads. I've seen REI's stuff and this page:

http://www.tokyobell.co.jp/english.html

Thanks!

mtbr member

just clip...

...a playing card in your spokes...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

member since '97
    My opinion is that those bells can suck. The "chasis" is plastic and can break in a crash. They are simple with nothing to really break, unless you crash, GOOD!! It gives a nice ding. But the thumb spring mechanism is a pain for multiple rinds

As far as cool goes.... You know you're talking about bicycle bells, right.

For my mountain bikes I prefer the classic geared bike bells or a kiddie bike horn. They send the same message and don't scream "I'm full of myself". The kiddie horn makes hikers, that would normally hate bikes, smile as I pass.

I also have an Air Zound (115 dB air horn) and one of those "tinker"bells on a bike. The Air Zound is loud enough to scare cabbies

Short story.

I'm riding along one of the trails and I see an elderly couple walking up ahead. So I ring my little bell out of courtesy and pass slowly. Over my shoulder I hear "That's not much of a bell"

Given their age, it was probably a comment springing from deafness and geezerly grumpiness. I took it in stride, while looking down at the air zound and thinking "This should be loud enough you grumpy old bat". The horn could have caused a heart attack, so I didn't honk it at them. I'm proud of my response though. I stopped and said, " I apologize, if the bell isn't loud enough, but the horn would have been too loud and very frightening, and you did hear the bell"

I then rode about 50 yards up the trail and yelled, "This was the alternative!!" and let out a 2 second blast.

The kiddie horn is my favorite, I have a blue hippo. Since it's mostly soft rubber it's actually quite durable. Then again I'm also the person that would put handlebar streamers on my XT-XTR equipped FS bike. Another advantage is that you stand out with the ladies. When your horn sounds like a duck on helium, women know you're confident, have a sense of humour and you don't come across as a self-absorbed jerk.

Try this.

When a woman passes by. Say, "Hey Baby!!" and ring a bell.

The same woman passes and you do the exact same thing.
    "Hey Baby", but you squeeze a blue hippos ass and make it quack like a duck on helium.

I'm just saying look at alternatives
    Life is too short to race through it. When life is a blur, you'll miss the magic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the reply froggy! I know what you are saying about bell and cool kind of being any oxy moron. I guess that's why I'm looking for feedback. I like unique, custom, rare type components so I'm seeing whats out their...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy97
    My opinion is that those bells can suck. The "chasis" is plastic and can break in a crash. They are simple with nothing to really break, unless you crash, GOOD!! It gives a nice ding. But the thumb spring mechanism is a pain for multiple rinds

As far as cool goes.... You know you're talking about bicycle bells, right.

For my mountain bikes I prefer the classic geared bike bells or a kiddie bike horn. They send the same message and don't scream "I'm full of myself". The kiddie horn makes hikers, that would normally hate bikes, smile as I pass.

I also have an Air Zound (115 dB air horn) and one of those "tinker"bells on a bike. The Air Zound is loud enough to scare cabbies

Short story.

I'm riding along one of the trails and I see an elderly couple walking up ahead. So I ring my little bell out of courtesy and pass slowly. Over my shoulder I hear "That's not much of a bell"

Given their age, it was probably a comment springing from deafness and geezerly grumpiness. I took it in stride, while looking down at the air zound and thinking "This should be loud enough you grumpy old bat". The horn could have caused a heart attack, so I didn't honk it at them. I'm proud of my response though. I stopped and said, " I apologize, if the bell isn't loud enough, but the horn would have been too loud and very frightening, and you did hear the bell"

I then rode about 50 yards up the trail and yelled, "This was the alternative!!" and let out a 2 second blast.

The kiddie horn is my favorite, I have a blue hippo. Since it's mostly soft rubber it's actually quite durable. Then again I'm also the person that would put handlebar streamers on my XT-XTR equipped FS bike. Another advantage is that you stand out with the ladies. When your horn sounds like a duck on helium, women know you're confident, have a sense of humour and you don't come across as a self-absorbed jerk.

Try this.

When a woman passes by. Say, "Hey Baby!!" and ring a bell.

The same woman passes and you do the exact same thing.
    "Hey Baby", but you squeeze a blue hippos ass and make it quack like a duck on helium.

I'm just saying look at alternatives
    Interesting perspective and observation of someone's parents; I am to assume YOU will never mature physically or mentally?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A Bear Bell works for most purposes.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Cool, huh?

Check out Incredibells from mirrycle.

http://www.mirrycle.com/incredibell_bells.php

Get it custom painted.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Attached Images Attached Images

member since '97
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    Interesting perspective and observation of someone's parents; I am to assume YOU will never mature physically or mentally?
    And that was for what? Are you always such a jerk?

At what point did I say that all geriatrics are deaf or grumpy. She definitely was, but that doesn't mean that all people are. Her response was jerk-like!!! I gave a polite ring and passed slowly, and RESPECTFULLY!!!

You're right, it had nothing to do with her age. She responded that way because she's an a-hole. I figured that maybe her complaint was that the bell wasn't loud enough. Silly me

There is no reason to behave that way, at ANY AGE. I would have done the exact same thing to a teenager had I tried to be polite and was rebuffed for it.

I find your assumptions of my over-all attitude, and your logic, both laughable. Had it been a story about a black homeless person, would you be ragging me for implying that all black people were poor? I should hope not. How do you know that they were someone's parents? Oh, right, anyone over 65 is automatically a parent.

So what, precisely was your point? I was disrespectful in that SPECIFIC instance, but it was a reaction to her behaviour. I'll concede that. But it's rather pompous and arrogant of you to think you can surmise my entire existence from one unique incident. It's not like I go around sneaking up on people with that horn.

Have a nice day.
    Life is too short to race through it. When life is a blur, you'll miss the magic.

banned

At what point did I say that all geriatrics are deaf or grumpy. She definitely was, but that doesn't mean that all people are. Her response was jerk-like!!! I gave a polite ring and passed slowly, and RESPECTFULLY!!!

You're right, it had nothing to do with her age. She responded that way because she's an a-hole. I figured that maybe her complaint was that the bell wasn't loud enough. Silly me

There is no reason to behave that way, at ANY AGE. I would have done the exact same thing to a teenager had I tried to be polite and was rebuffed for it.

I find your assumptions of my over-all attitude, and your logic, both laughable. Had it been a story about a black homeless person, would you be ragging me for implying that all black people were poor? I should hope not. How do you know that they were someone's parents? Oh, right, anyone over 65 is automatically a parent.

So what, precisely was your point? I was disrespectful in that SPECIFIC instance, but it was a reaction to her behaviour. I'll concede that. But it's rather pompous and arrogant of you to think you can surmise my entire existence from one unique incident. It's not like I go around sneaking up on people with that horn.

Have a nice day.

You read entirely too much into my statement; judging by your response, I stand by my original statement; the difference between maturity and arrogance is that a mature person wouldn't have even given it a nano-second of thought; you, on the other hand, chose to obssess over some obscure and diabolical motive on the part of the "grumpy geezers". I had no idea that an elderly woman could be so threatening to a "young" biker....keep on laughing son, 'cause I'm pissin' in my pants right about now, LMAO!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You read entirely too much into my statement; judging by your response, I stand by my original statement; the difference between maturity and arrogance is that a mature person wouldn't have even given it a nano-second of thought; you, on the other hand, chose to obssess over some obscure and diabolical motive on the part of the "grumpy geezers". I had no idea that an elderly woman could be so threatening to a "young" biker....keep on laughing son, 'cause I'm pissin' in my pants right about now, LMAO!
    Guys, it's fairly obvious Froggy was story telling, and a good one. Steeljaws, regardless of your intent, your statement did come off like you are a jerk.

Let's drop it and find some more bells to ring.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Cool, huh?

Check out Incredibells from mirrycle.

http://www.mirrycle.com/incredibell_bells.php

Get it custom painted.

JMJ
    thanks for the link birdman, I can't believe they have sound clips online for this stuff LOL

mtbr member
    May 2006

Birdman aka JMJ

member since '97
    Incredibells!!!

Could have sworn they were called tinkerbells

Anyway, like everything else, you get what you pay for. Ironically, sometimes cheaper is better. The cheaper pressfits break as easily as screws but, because they POP off, the fix is usually as simple as hammering it back on the mount.

That said, eventualy you will crash, and the bell will be broken permantly. Or, as is my experience, it will fly off the bike as if a druken chimpanzee attacked it with a golf club. Bongo has a wicked slice and he's lost a number of bells. I have found the bell after a crash and snapped it back on, but Bongo hates the 1 stroke penalty and is prone to throwing feces.

*Note to self, go riding with the dogs and not an angry, drunk, chimp.
    ** return to topic

I'm sure somebody makes a bell with a lifetime guarantee for about a c-note. But, why bother? One of the amdenments to Murphy's law is that the ease of repair is proportional to the cost of the part. A five dollar incredibell will last you a decade. The tree roots and rocks are aiming for your XTR rear dérailleur or brand new disc rotor. They don't care about the bell.

My philosophy is to not worry about anything that costs less than a pint of beer. Given the transient nature of beer, everything else is a wise investment.

Birdman aka JMJ
    froggy97... please take your meds.

I'm just messing with you
    I use this one - need a couple more actually, just can't bring myself to pay shipping

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a bell that has a compass on top. Figged it would come in handy if I ever got lost. After I did an endo and it left a bruise on my rib, I removed it. It did however survive the crash with no problems. I think I am gonna go for the card and the clothespin next. Do they even make clothespins anymore?

Birdman aka JMJ
    wv_bob... SWEEEEEET bell.

mumbles - the bell with compass is a great idea unless you also have a bike computer with a particularly strong wheel magnet. Don't ask me how I know this.

JMJ

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like burgers very much; this is getting some consideration LOL

I do have quite the coffee addition right now so this merits some thought:

But in reality, a nice classic, black will probably be my choice, this is is the mirrycle with adjustable lever, seems like a nice feature. I like the dual tone as well

member since '97
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I use this one - need a couple more actually, just can't bring myself to pay shipping

that is a sweet one. Kinda like having a Brooks saddle. It's cool, even if it's hard to peg exactly why. It's got a steampunk appeal without looking stupid

mtbr mizzember

mtbr mizzember

Have a nice day.
    don't worry, he's just old and grumpy

that is a sweet one. Kinda like having a Brooks saddle.
    Interesting you'd say that, given that I bought it from Rivendell
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Quote Originally Posted by acedude1514
    I kid you not, I think I know that guy

mtbr member
    I use a small cowbell that I bought in the fishing supplies dept.
    its made to clip on your pole and ring when you catch a fish.
    it has an alligator clip built in and its cheap
    its pretty quite and makes just enough noise to politely let hikers / horses know you coming.

mtbr member
    Maybe she just thought your bell was a bit limp.

mtbr member
    I like a bell for the trail, but I despise "sleighbell" type "bear bells" for anything other than specific runs.

The bell I have on most of my bikes, and my son's, are standard, small "Incredibells", mounted upside down so we can flick it with our thumb while still holding the bar with a "wrap". It's easy to ding once or twice for an amusing but clear sound, three dings is more insistent and the fourth is usually from contact with the innocent victim's skull... ha ha... Of course we all know the iTards are neither innocent nor victims. It's like slaying zombies, a duty of sorts.

What's cool is that people like the sound, but the darn things don't ring-a-ling down the trail when you're just rolling along.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's the one i use and set it up upside down too!

I have a belt drive so if i am pedaling there is now way to hear me coming.

Some people turn around laughing and others turn around with a dirty look when i ring the bell.
    Either way it's better than rolling up on someone going one mile an hour and say hello and they jump and say you scared me with a dirty look.

You can't win them all!!

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I like a bell for the trail, but I despise "sleighbell" type "bear bells" for anything other than specific runs.

The bell I have on most of my bikes, and my son's, are standard, small "Incredibells", mounted upside down so we can flick it with our thumb while still holding the bar with a "wrap". It's easy to ding once or twice for an amusing but clear sound, three dings is more insistent and the fourth is usually from contact with the innocent victim's skull... ha ha... Of course we all know the iTards are neither innocent nor victims. It's like slaying zombies, a duty of sorts.

What's cool is that people like the sound, but the darn things don't ring-a-ling down the trail when you're just rolling along.

mtbr member
    My favorite is when people laugh and say it sounds like an "helado cart", otherwise known as the Mexican ice cream vendors that push around two-wheelers with a bell on the handlebar. One lady this last weekend said, "now you've made us hungry!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome!! A couple turned around laughing one time (they were my, age late 30's) and i started doing the la la la la like i was pee-wee herman, all us lost it form there

My favorite is when people laugh and say it sounds like an "helado cart", otherwise known as the Mexican ice cream vendors that push around two-wheelers with a bell on the handlebar. One lady this last weekend said, "now you've made us hungry!"

Lets RIDE!
    There are some great horns out there!

It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo EDDY
    I like burgers very much; this is getting some consideration LOL

I do have quite the coffee addition right now so this merits some thought:

But in reality, a nice classic, black will probably be my choice, this is is the mirrycle with adjustable lever, seems like a nice feature. I like the dual tone as well

Burgers are ok but I'd like a Taco Bell

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    NC17 is my bell of choice. Very 'cool'!

mtbr member
    Well, I can't get the audio sampler to play on my computer, but check out the most granola bell, ever, from the incredibell people:

They come in cherry and padauk woods... Could be pretty cool, might even be weight weenie.

Lets RIDE!
    well those look cool, but if their audio clip is realistic, they sound like tapping a pencil against a wooden desk.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Yes those do look nice, almost too nice but they must sound like castonetes.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    the bell pepper bell I had was cool, until it broke
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    These are pretty slick--mounted on a headset spacer so it doesn't clamp to anything and it's less likely to take a hit when you crash, maybe? I have this same bell (clamp on version from Rivendell) and it's quite melodious...

http://www.velo-orange.com/jabemoonhesp.html

mtbr member
    Said this somewhere else! I run a bugle horn and a dinger. After a ding ding honk honk ding ding, The lady said she thought I was selling ice cream. Keeps it friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho
    Said this somewhere else! I run a bugle horn and a dinger. After a ding ding honk honk ding ding, The lady said she thought I was selling ice cream. Keeps it friendly.
    Yep, I've received that same remark myself.

Mostly though, I find that even the bell scares people half to death. I think they just get so into the solitude that everything freaks them out. Can't imagine the reaction they have when the riders who think every day is race day come blasting out of nowhere.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302693017

Had one and even made drivers crap their pants.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Members who have read this thread: 0