thinking about getting armor- Mtbr.com

May 2008

thinking about getting armor

Hey all,

I mostly ride XC trails, however, i really like downhill and am thinking about getting into it abit more.

Although i only ride XC at the moment, I have still lost my share of skin. The last ride I had cost me pretty much all the skin on both forearms, a good deal on my shoulder, deep brusing on my hip and deep cuts on my palms (i was only wearing one glove, i am buying new ones now) and a cracked helmet.

As i am going to buy body armour and a jersey at the same time, i was wondering do i need to buy the jersey 1 size larger than my normal size to accomodate the armour? Any recommendations?

Aug 2008
    I wear some body armor and your best bet is to just try on a shirt with your body armor on, and have one shirt the size you normally wear and one a size bigger then see what you like better. I say that because the jersey I wear is the exact same size I normally wear and it fits almost perfect. When I tried one a size bigger it was a little on the baggy side. That is why I suggest trying on some old gym shirts or something with your body armor on. Fortunatly for me a dirt bike shop sells both jerseys and six six one armor so it worked out easy for me. I just tried everything on there.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    What happened on your last XC ride to cause all of this body damage and crack your helmet?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoetx
    I wear some body armor and your best bet is to just try on a shirt with your body armor on, and have one shirt the size you normally wear and one a size bigger then see what you like better. I say that because the jersey I wear is the exact same size I normally wear and it fits almost perfect. When I tried one a size bigger it was a little on the baggy side. That is why I suggest trying on some old gym shirts or something with your body armor on. Fortunatly for me a dirt bike shop sells both jerseys and six six one armor so it worked out easy for me. I just tried everything on there.
    +1 most body armor was made to fit under jerseys and pants/shorts. although you may look a little funny wearing a pressure suit to only do XC. i too am wondering what happened on your last ride to have that done to you.

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    I wouldn't worry about looking funny if you feel the need for protection GET IT!!! - I picked up some knee and elbow pads yesterday...I too want to try some uglier terrain and after a pretty painful crash I went and got myself some "plastic courage" - Good luck and good riding!

The Troy Lee Moto jersey is a nice cut for padding - I wear mine with no padding and its a bit roomy...not a lot of colors but a nice price
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hncreature
    I went and got myself some "plastic courage" - Good luck and good riding!
    That is the one catch with a little "plastic courage" you are tempted to try bigger and uglier things lol, but oh well its all in good fun.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    That is the one catch with a little "plastic courage" you are tempted to try bigger and uglier things lol, but oh well its all in good fun
    What do you have? A crash test dummy in armour!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Jul 2008
    I crashed 2 weeks ago and had my upper lip bloodied and swell. Lose some skins on both my elbows and bruises my legs. Not too bad but could be worse. I got myself some plastics, namely, elbow/arm pad and knee/shin guard. I don't care if other people look at me funny. Safety 1st!

That is the one catch with a little "plastic courage" you are tempted to try bigger and uglier things lol, but oh well its all in good fun.
    Let's say a little more confidence rather than courage...I'm still not to the "try something stupid" level - 42...on my final set of teeth...and I can't afford too much time off of work

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    What happened on your last XC ride to cause all of this body damage and crack your helmet?
    I was coming down a quick gravel trail, through a small rock garden, chose a poor line hit a rock with my chain ring and came off in a mix of gravel and rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i just bought the troy lee designs descender armour. fit great and is light... i havent ridden in it yet though... i purchased this after i lost a bunch of skin on my forearm and a couple of deep gashes in my elbow (after a fall). i figure its an investment...

mtbr member
    I would think twice about if and what armor to wear for XC. Before I continue: I ride a fair share of FR/DH as well as AM (whatever that is) and XC. I pick my armor depending on what I plan to do on any particular ride:

DH/FR: Body armor including arm, shoulder pads, spine protector and rib/breats protector. Shin guards. Full face helmet. Gloves.

XC: Helmet & gloves. And if I plan a technical ride in addition shin guards, sometimes arm/elbow pads. (must be AM then)

Body armor weighs and is really hot. Double check if you really want that on XC rides. If you do: Check out the DH shirts. They are super light and fit over armor. Standard XC wear does not - or sits really tight.

There are protective pants on the market. But they really get into th way when you pedal.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I've been waiting to see if anyone was going to recommend working on bike handling skills. I'll wait a little longer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No matter how good your skills are, you are going to eat it sooner or later. Sure is nice to get up without a bunch of skin missing.

FWIW, I wear a helmet, gloves and elbow pads (small 661s) all the time and they never bother me. Another great addition was Fox launch pad shorts which I wear under the Sargeant shorts. They are just a compression short with a few small pads and they feel great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Full finger gloves with kunckle protection and forearm/elbow pads are what I wear. I have shin/knee pads and rarely use them. The forearm pads have saved me from many a bark scrape. I recommend them. I took a slide last year and tore my index finger nail off and sliced my forearm all to hell. That's what prompted me.

Rode with my armor today

Finally got out on the bike with my armor...

I bought the 661 Kyle Strait knee pads and Comp elbow guards - My ride consisted of a lot of climbing and the pedaling did not feel restricted at all and on the descents the elbow guards did not slide around or get uncomfortable

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    I wear a Stormtrooper costume.

Members who have read this thread: 0