Thin / low foot; where to look for shoes- Mtbr.com
    Legend
    Nov 2004

Thin / low foot; where to look for shoes

I've been riding clipless for 3 years with poorly fitting shoes and it's starting to really get to me.

My first pair were Exustar Comp 420s (Nashbar). These fit well, from what I remember, for about 6 months then they sucked ... my memory of the original fitment of these shoes is basically forgotten now since it was so long ago, but I seem to recall not being disappointed the day I put them on. They kept stretching more and more and now are way at the limits of adjustment (3 velcro straps, I am actually pulling the stitched spot where the two halves of velcro attach through the loop ... ie: they are pulled about 1/2" tighter than they were ever designed to be pulled). I can pull my foot out of these shoes without much hassle when fully strapped in.

The next set I purchased last year (2007) around June; they were Shimano m182s. My LBS brought in 3 pairs of various sizes (I think 10, 10.5 and 11), I picked the one that my foot BARELY fit inside of length wise (pretty sure that was the 10.5). Within a month, I was clicking to the limits of the ratcheting system ... and I can still pull my foot out without much effort. I was told these wouldn't stretch ... either my foot shrank, I am misremembering how many clicks remained in the ratchet, or they stretched.

So, basically, it seems as though the top of my foot (just in front of the ankle, not sure what it's called) is lower than the average person's. I am not asking which shoe to get, because I know I need to try before I buy. However, all our local shops essentially have Shimano MTB stuff ... and if they have anything else, it's extremely limited quantity.

I want to spend no more than $300, and I want a shoe that fits like it was poured on my foot. I don't want to be able to get my foot out of the shoe without releasing the retaining mechanism. I want this to be an MTB shoe, so I want either integrated toe spikes or removable ones and the obvious "tread" on the bottom. A shoe that lasts for more than 6 months of reasonable riding before it stretches to hell would be appreciated.

I ride AROUND 70km / week on mostly road / XC trails on my mountain bike ... so it's not like I am beating the shoes. My Shimanos look brand new, and the Exustars don't look too shabby either.

Uphill? What's that
    you might want to try a specialized dealer and try their shoes.
    I have had very good luck with their products.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i too have a relatively narrow long foot. I have only ever had one pair of clipless shoes the Shimano M122 MTB and they have worked great for me. i have had them for about 5 months, and i have not experienced any change in fit after the initial break in period (about 2 weeks) and they still fit fine. try these out, if they don't work for you some shoe manufacturers make shoes that are narrow (right next to the size they say something like narrow), and you could try these.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the comments, they're appreciated. Specialized might be the route I need to go with ... but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 0