Thank you Giro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Thank you Giro

Class Clown

Thank you Giro

For saving my ass today. Was heading down Boylston St. in Boston today riding close to the parked cars (too close apparently) when a little girl opened a car door. Couldn't react quick enough and clipped it and went flying. Besides hurting my elbow and leg somewhat, the back of my head hit the ground. Luckily I was wearing my helmet. Well that is to say I always wear my helmet. A nice crack down the back of it, which no doubt would have been my head.

And this is my inexpensive Giro Transfer helmet that costs a whopping $35 bucks. First thing I did of course after a rest was stop by the bike shop and slap down another $35 + tax and pick up another.

I will now really never understand people riding around without a helmet on. Bought that helmet in 2007 with my bike and this was the first time I really needed it, although there have been some tree branch hits before, but damn it's that one in a million ride where you might need it to save you.

So again, thanks Giro!

mtbr member
    Glad you're OK! didn't hurt the little girl or the door I suppose

I rock my orange Bern skateboarding helmet everytime I ride trails or pavement!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love my Giro Xar. I thought I remember reading that Giro would replace or offset cost if helmet damaged during use . . so checked it out. Here is what there website says:

Does Giro have a crash replacement program?
    Giro is interested in your safety and in advancing our state-of-the-art in head protection. If your helmet is involved in an accident you may be able to get a credit toward a new helmet from Giro by doing the following:

Send us:
    a. Your damaged helmet
    b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt
    c. A letter describing your accident (in as much detail as possible)

Ship to:
    GIRO
    Consumer Service
    735 Pacesetter Drive
    Rantoul, IL 61866

If you have any questions about this program please call us at (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at . . . . Crash replacement program is available to U.S. customers only. Customers outside the U.S. should call (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us for information on the crash replacement program applicable to them.
    Remember: NEVER wear a helmet that’s been involved in an accident.

Sorry . . . tried to post a website link to this info but was told to remove it:
    To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. . . .Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
    Likewise, tried to post their email address but was then told:
    To be able to post e-mail addresses your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.
    Please remove e-mail addresses from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

Class Clown
    Oh that's cool, if it was an expensive helmet it might be worth it. I bought it back in '07 so this was probably it's last season anyways. I gave it to the guys at the bike shop and they promptly smashed it to pieces. Kind of wish I kept it as a memento but broken helmets are better off destroyed.

I also had my bag with hydro pack in it so that probably helped me a bit too.